UKC

Get your winter toys ready for the next mini ice age

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olddirtydoggy 29 Jun 2016
Well it seems we're in for a big freeze dispite the global warming many are talking about. A few years of harsh winters should bring back some of those rare routes we see once in a lifetime. I'm getting my wishlist ready.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/mini-ice-age-coming...
 NottsRich 29 Jun 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

This was reported in July 2015. I didn't see much sign of it happening this winter just gone!
 andyinglis 29 Jun 2016
In reply to NottsRich: Eh..... Icicle factory (and Skye ice lines in general)....... that is all.

SenzuBean 29 Jun 2016
> Well it seems we're in for a big freeze dispite the global warming many are talking about.

Not to be rude, but global warming has nothing to do with getting rid of cold winters.
Here's a handy picture to explain this:

http://oi65.tinypic.com/35kojn5.jpg
Post edited at 16:18
 NathanP 29 Jun 2016

A good news story for a change. I hope it comes true.

For me: Great Gully on the Wasdale Screes & Raven Crag Gully.
 planetmarshall 29 Jun 2016

Zharkova's research concerns modeling and predicting solar activity, and only that. Extrapolating this to predict another 'little ice age' is, unfortunately, journalistic licence.

The way solar activity influences global temperatures is complicated and not well understood.
 NottsRich 30 Jun 2016
In reply to andyinglis:

My point was more that this winter was (correct me if I'm wrong) neither colder than average, nor longer than average, nor much else. It was a pretty normal winter. Last winter seemed more exceptional than me, what with it staying colder for longer, with ice being climbed well through Spring. So much for 'the next mini ice age' happening in this winter just gone (15/16, based on the article in 15).

Whatever. It will be nice (all else aside) if we get some more winter and I can spend even more time on the slippery stuff in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...