UKC

Is my dog useless as a guard dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 29 Jun 2016

My wife and myself live somewhere fairly isolated, and I occasionally spend time away from home. Shortly after we moved into our property we adopted a German Shepherd pooch who turned out to an excellent guard dog and protection for my wife when I was away.

After she shuffled off this mortal coil a couple of years ago (the dog, not my wife!) we adopted another pooch - either a Malinois or a German Shepherd cross (probably). This dog is extremely friendly and seems to assume everyone and everything is her friend. So my question is how likely is it that she'll be protective in the (hopefully unlikely) event of it being necessary?
Post edited at 16:06
 Flinticus 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:
Try breaking in at night in disguise?

Or simulating an attack on your wife??! Wear a Richard Nixon mask.
Post edited at 16:37
Andy Gamisou 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> Try breaking in at night in disguise?

> Or simulating an attack on your wife??! Wear a Richard Nixon mask.

Tried all of those. Results inconclusive.

jkarran 29 Jun 2016

I'd just be glad you have a nice gentle dog and you live in a civilised country where it isn't necessary to have a guard dog.
Jk
 john arran 29 Jun 2016

German Shepherd, you say? Does it have a visa?

Nick Alcock 29 Jun 2016
In reply to john arran:

OMG. Does this mean my Hungarian Viszla will have to be repatriated?

D
Andy Gamisou 29 Jun 2016
In reply to john arran:

> German Shepherd, you say? Does it have a visa?

>

It doesn't need one in the country we live in John. I might need one soon though.
Andy Gamisou 29 Jun 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> I'd just be glad you have a nice gentle dog and you live in a civilised country where it isn't necessary to have a guard dog.

> Jk

It's pretty useful to have one where I live, especially at certain times of the year.
 Timmd 29 Jun 2016
How possible would it be to make your home Fort Knox secure?

That's possibly more reliable than a guard dog, and not making it attractive to criminals too I gather.
Post edited at 19:29
ceri 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Willi Crater: does the dog bark? My dogs make an awful noise at intruders. If they got in they would be licked to death, but think a casual intruder would try the neighbours instead.

Rick Graham 29 Jun 2016

Don't be worried, you probably have an intelligent dog that only wants to please you.

It already knows that you would like any burglar to be ripped to shreds.
 BedRock 29 Jun 2016

where do you live????
 FactorXXX 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

How possible would it be to make your home Fort Knox secure?
That's possibly more reliable than a guard dog, and not making it attractive to criminals too I gather.

What?
Never have the windows open and sell your telly?
 john arran 29 Jun 2016

Just call the dog "Windsor" and you might get away with it.
 Gone 29 Jun 2016

You could always take the dog to protection classes like Schutzhund if you found a local dog club that offered it. Good mental and physical exercise for the dog too.
 Ridge 29 Jun 2016

> It's pretty useful to have one where I live, especially at certain times of the year.

If you mean what I think you mean then the dog is probably better off keeping a low profile.
 SenzuBean 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> Or simulating an attack on your wife??! Wear a Richard Nixon mask.

If that doesn't work, you can get some ideas from here: youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs&

Trust me, having a dog that has human aggression potential is not worth the stress. Unless you're an expert in dog training you'll just create a loose cannon more likely to attack the postman than protect your TV. Get some visible and decent CCTV...
 Ridge 29 Jun 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:
+1
Post edited at 21:47
 Timmd 29 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:
> What?

> Never have the windows open and sell your telly?

I think most people would take Fort Knox secure as a figure of speech, and not making a home too enticing to criminals can be things like not making the outside look especially 'bling' or rich looking.

It's common advice from police and similar about not making a home look too enticing...
Post edited at 22:17
Andy Gamisou 30 Jun 2016

> Trust me, having a dog that has human aggression potential is not worth the stress.

Already had one for 8 years (our previous GSD, which we rescued from starving at around 9 months). Wasn't an issue - had a police dog handler help in the training which coupled with supervising the dog when 'in company' (which was fairly infrequent) never made it a problem.

> Unless you're an expert in dog training you'll just create a loose cannon more likely to attack the postman than protect your TV.

We don't have a postman. We did once (somewhat mind-boggling given where we live) have Jehovah's witnesses. They didn't stay long.....

> Get some visible and decent CCTV...

Nah - not bothered about protection of possessions. Don't even bother to lock the cars and half the time leave house keys in outside of the door. The issue was more of a personal security (mostly for my wife when I'm away).

Thanks for the advice though.
Andy Gamisou 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> If you mean what I think you mean then the dog is probably better off keeping a low profile.

No it's not.
 stella1 30 Jun 2016

> Trust me, having a dog that has human aggression potential is not worth the stress. Unless you're an expert in dog training you'll just create a loose cannon more likely to attack the postman than protect your TV. Get some visible and decent CCTV...

One of my friends had a German Shepard that bit the postman. Was a lovely dog, really intelligent but very protective of the family. To the point where you wouldn't want to enter their property unless the dog knew you or you were accompanied by one of the family. They had a big gate with an external post box, mesh on the gate to prevent the dog from being able to get at anyone passing by, and a large sign saying BEWARE OF THE DOG. Postman rolled back the mesh to try and stroke the dog. Dog gave him a little bite. Postman tried to get damages and have the dog put down. Fortunately the courts sided with my friends family and the dog. It certainly caused them a lot of stress.

If you are living in a really remote situation I can understand why you might want a trained guard dog. Personally, I would worry about the potential consequences though. I'd rather just have a dog that barks. Our springer spaniel would bark like crazy if someone tried to burgle us. They wouldn't know it was just because he wanted to play....
 gethin_allen 30 Jun 2016

I'd think walking along with a big excited German shepherd dog running about would be enough to discourage potential attackers without it needing to be vicious snarling beast ready to tear someones face off.
Jimbocz 01 Jul 2016

I had some friends once whose dog was a rea sweetie. However, one work day I happened to be close, so I stopped by in my work uniform and work truck. The dog didn't recognise me and was plenty aggressive.

I bet your dog will be aggressive enough if required.
Removed User 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Jimbocz:

I had cause to go into to friend's empty house, empty save for his large dobermann which had only met me briefly once before. I called the dog's name as I went round the house and as I unlocked the back door, the dog came running through, cushion in its mouth and stumpy tail wagging ten to the dozen. Useless
 Ridge 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Jimbocz:

> I bet your dog will be aggressive enough if required.

I think that's a myth. Dogs have differing personalities and levels of aggression. My bull cross lurcher has massive teeth, is built like a brick shithouse and has powerful jaws. He's also a complete wuss who keeps coming back whimpering after been nipped my some scrawny little thing he could snap in half. If push comes to shove I'm pretty certain he won't turn into a fearless land shark while I tackle an intruder. He'll be hiding behind the sofa or helping them out with the TV on the promise of a biscuit.
 marsbar 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Jimbocz:

Just out of interest does your uniform have a hi viz stripe?
 krikoman 02 Jul 2016

My sister has a lurcher, he's silent just about, and soft as muck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...