UKC

Online booking systems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All,
Does anyone use an online booking system for their sessions? I'm looking for a system that takes online payments and automatically updates available spaces.
 Sharp 30 Jun 2016
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:
What sort of thing is it you're looking for a booking system for? We've done quite a lot of research into it but although going quite far into talks with a number of companies they've either not given a suitable option or walked away saying it's too complicated. There are a number of systems out there that can cope with simple (time slot x available instructors x ratios) kind of thing, there's a climbing wall down south that uses a good one but I can't remember what it's called.

The best company we dealt with had a system that was primarily aimed at insurance calculations, they were the only people that kind of seemed to understand that computers don't understand staff unless you spend time programming it to, i.e. a computer can understand that x number of people can go sailing with an instructor that you've told it holds the relevant qualification and is working that day but a human can easily say "staff member x is good with stag groups so we'll use them" or "the weather's bad lets put a senior member of staff on it and an extra boat on the water" etc. etc. Humans can problem solve programmes in a way that can find inventive solutions and when you're dealing with staff, customers and weather computers fall short as they don't understand any of those things without being super complicated bespoke systems. Having a human in the loop can also spot potential problems before they happen and can react a lot quicker to last minute changes.

How old is your website? If it's coming time for a new website it might be worth finding a company that can do both the booking system and the website together as you'll end up with a much more streamlined product.
Post edited at 10:15
In reply to Sharp:

Unfortunately I work for a large estate where the new website which is currently being designed has to work with everything else.
It only needs to be simple, i.e. input available time slots and availability within that slot, then gives different pricing depending on age of clients in our case.
 Sharp 30 Jun 2016

Maybe have a look at checkfront or the system clip n climb uses (I can't remember what it is). I've not used either of those systems though as even on initial inspection they weren't suitable for us (I think checkfront might be one of the companies that charge monthly based on your numbers of bookings as well which might not be suitable, i.e. if you have lots of customers in July you'll still be on that price plan in December). Maybe ask your web developers what companies they have experience with and if they have any suggestions?

It's a hugely expanding market and lots of people do it now (including the cowboys as with all things), making a simple one size fits all booking system probably isn't that hard for a programmer but our experience is finding a company that can deliver a system and with good service and support is the golden egg and it's hard to know this up front. We've been stung before with an epos till which looked great but wasn't. We narrowly avoided a similar experience with a coffee machine rental but after reading the small print and going and asking other businesses that used them we realised it was a con. I would be very reluctant to consider a company that doesn't visit the premises and only operates remotely (which narrows your options considerably). If you're looking for an accommodation booking system we use one I can wholeheartedly recommend.

I know of one activities provider that is having a system made for them to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds and I think in reality this is probably the best way to go long term rather than bodging someone elses system on from a faceless online company who've made a system for booking massages and are convinced it's the right system for booking activity sessions too. I guess it's a question of in 5 or 10 years time how big a part of your business is online booking going to be and how much revenue is it going to make. A bespoke system can handle your staff rota and pay as well which along with handling all your bookings might well save you a member of staff and their wage bill every year or it might be that whoever owns or manages the staff/pay etc. might be able to invest that extra time saved in creating revenue all of which might pay for what seems like an expensive option quite quickly.

When you said estate the other thing that popped into my mind to check (I'm sure you're aware of this) is your internet speed and reliability, a lot of systems are cloud based and a few companies we spoken to seemed to be completely ignorant about the need for redundancy when you're using a cloud based system in a rural area. We spoke to a consultant about digital infrastructure as our broadband is slow and unreliable and there's not really any easy solutions, basically have 2 or 3 ways of accessing the internet (satelite, broadband and an internet share for e.g.) and have a system that can backup and be used locally. Both our satellite and our broadband go down quite regularly but so far never both at once!

Most systems seem to work with a variety of payment options but I vaguely remember this was an issue we looked into as some methods of online payment will skim considerably more off your profits than others for the privaledge.

One simple but ugly solution pitched to us was voucher systems like the ones you buy gig tickets with, i cant remember what it's called but i guess there are a few of them. People want to book online and supposedly in a few years time any activities/service operator not providing an online booking option will be losing out but if a fully integrated system isnt viable for whatever reason you can offer a number of slots up on these sorts of systems which is as simple as integrating a link and then the customer books through the third party website and you get an email through. It's not an elegant solution but it's cheap, easy, non-committing and gives you access to a market of customers that will (supposedly) only book online.
 Neil Williams 30 Jun 2016

Eventbrite? Charges are quite high, though, but it will manage all of it for you. I use it for taking bookings for Scout camps.
Martin Gilliard 30 Jun 2016

I work for a small software company - we built a booking system for a large indoor ski centre and have since created an online cloud version that we can tailor to almost any other area. For example we have it live with racket clubs that take online bookings for courts. The system handles memberships and payments too. Would be happy to work with you and see if we could make it work for your requirements.

Not sure how we can connect - I noticed your post from a google alert that I have set up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...