UKC

Gove...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 30 Jun 2016
...stabs Boris. how accidental was that email!?
In reply to MG:

game of thrones, without the nudity ....thankfully
Bellie 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

You couldn't make it up. Although sadly Gove does, quite often.

Offwidth 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

The best bit is about Dacre and Murdoch... who would have suspected media barons directly influencing politics? What incompetant assassin would put this out in public? (a May mole maybe? )
OP MG 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes, good point.
 Big Ger 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Gove hasn't a hope in hell. He's a weasley little oik with all the charm of a sucked and spat out smartie.
 Tyler 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
Whilst Murdoch must enjoy the influence he has I wonder how he feels about that influence being so overtly referred to and now becoming part of the story? It'll be interesting if his papers back any of the candidates
In reply to MG:

I'd love to say that Gove has the personality of stale bread and the charm of an outbreak of chlamydia, his only virtue is that he isn't Boris and he won't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning a leadership contest.

But this is the party that elected Michael Howard to the top job. Anything is possible. The first bit is true though.

T.
 john arran 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Gove hasn't a hope in hell. He's a weasley little oik with all the charm of a sucked and spat out smartie.

Yes but you also have to consider who he's up against. Sucked and spat out smartie anyone?
 cander 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I rather like the idea of Stephen Crabb, he represents the aspirational side of the Conservative party, lots of people come from a council estate, but it takes something a bit special to become a government minister. My only issue is that he's a bit of an unknown quantity, and he was a remainer. I do think the leader needs to be a Brexitier and so I guess I'll be voting for Boris (God help us) which will be "interesting" if he gets the job, though I'm not sure he will. If Theresa May picks up the job then I'm guessing BJ will be in charge of the Brexit ministry and TM will have her hands full keeping BJ under control. All very interesting.
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Except - he has reversed Tory policy in many areas of justice. Credit where it's due.
 Toby_W 30 Jun 2016
In reply to cander: I saw him on TV last night and thought there just seemed something a little off about him, had a read and it seems he subscribes to the view that you can cure gay people.

Iron Lady 2 anyone?

Toby

Big Ger 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Toby_W:

He does appear to have anti-gay leanings, that should rule him out in my book.
 cander 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Toby_W:
Didn't know that, interesting, I reckon that rules him out.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Fair do's. But even so, no thank you.

T.
 ScottTalbot 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Teresa May for me. I don't think there's any contest and I'd be surprised if she let Boris into the cabinet at all!
 jkarran 30 Jun 2016
In reply to cander:

> I rather like the idea of Stephen Crabb

The man who believes gay people can be cured and don't deserve the same rights as everyone else for PM... no thanks.
jk
 cander 30 Jun 2016
In reply to jkarran:

I refer you to my previous post of 10:46
Jim C 30 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
> Teresa May for me. I don't think there's any contest and I'd be surprised if she let Boris into the cabinet at all!

I've always thought she was a leaver, if not an out and out leaver, certainly she came across a EU sceptic .
Post edited at 12:22
Bellie 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

I thought I'd read before that Gove didn't want to be leader. Here it is...

"I'm constitutionally incapable of it. There's a special quality you need that is indefinable, and I know I don't have it. There's an equanimity, an impermeability and a courage that you need. There are some things in life you know it's better not to try."

But Murdoch is quite persuasive.

cander 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

He's right he doesn't have it, but he scuppered Boris and I suspect that's what was required of him.
 Hat Dude 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Tyler:

> Whilst Murdoch must enjoy the influence he has I wonder how he feels about that influence being so overtly referred to and now becoming part of the story? It'll be interesting if his papers back any of the candidates

Gove & Murdoch have history

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/feb/26/schools-crusade-gove-murdoc...

Though how Rupe thinks Michael will have time to finally finish his book on the 1st Viscount Bolingbroke when he's PM, I don't know
 Scarab9 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> I thought I'd read before that Gove didn't want to be leader. Here it is...

> "I'm constitutionally incapable of it. There's a special quality you need that is indefinable, and I know I don't have it. There's an equanimity, an impermeability and a courage that you need. There are some things in life you know it's better not to try."

> But Murdoch is quite persuasive.

how about these....
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/conservative-party-leadership-electio...
 Scarab9 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

has anyone got a link to the info on this email? I'm struggling to find anything

> ...stabs Boris. how accidental was that email!?

Bob Hughes 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Subject: Thoughts

Very important that we focus now on individual obstacles and thoroughly overcome them. I really think Michael should have a Henry or a Beth with him for this morning’s crucial meetings. One simple message. You MUST have SPECIFIC assurances from Boris, OTHERWISE you cannot guarantee your support. The details can be worked out later on, but without that you have no leverage.

Crucially, the membership will not have the necessary reassurance to back Boris, neither will [Daily Mail editor Paul] Dacre/[Rupert] Murdoch, who instinctively dislike Boris but trust your ability enough to support a Boris Gove ticket. Do not concede any ground. Be your stubborn best. GOOD LUCK.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/29/michael-gove-sarah-vi...
 Scarab9 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Bob Hughes:

thanks
 Reach>Talent 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

He's a weasley little oik with all the charm of a sucked and spat out smartie.

On behalf of the weasel anti-defamation league I demand you retract that. Weasels should not have to put up with being likened to Michael Gove.

pasbury 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

We can add Judas to Gove's list of admirable qualities
KevinD 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> I thought I'd read before that Gove didn't want to be leader. Here it is...

There are several other quotes along the same lines. I guess it is the same as the 350 million for the NHS.
Or maybe he thought Boris would be a disaster and by going against him he would undermine him enough so someone else would win.
Bellie 30 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

There is some sort of quote from one of his fellow MPs about how he truly believes in his own lies (version of the truth), so much he wouldn't know the actual truth if it smacked him in the face. Can't recall who said it but it wasn't long ago.

ScottTalbot 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> I've always thought she was a leaver, if not an out and out leaver, certainly she came across a EU sceptic .

That's what I like about her...
In reply to Toby_W:

I know it's rather trivial, but I'm wary of anyone who takes that much care of their beard...

He may not be such a "working man's champion", though, for all his working class backstory:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-stephen-crabb-shouldnt-become-prime...
 Jon Stewart 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> There is some sort of quote from one of his fellow MPs about how he truly believes in his own lies (version of the truth), so much he wouldn't know the actual truth if it smacked him in the face. Can't recall who said it but it wasn't long ago.

I worked as a civil servant in education when he was Sec of State. He soured relations with the Department within a couple of weeks and lots of stuff was leaked to f*ck him over (it wasn't me). His recent "no time for experts" thing wasn't shallow politics, that's him, that's how he works. He simply thinks he knows everything and just needs other people to provide justification for what he has already decided; he has no interest in anyone's view but his own, which is based on thin air and prejudice. He is the worst possible person to be given power.

I'd like to think of a more reasonable-sounding way of putting this, but I can't. He's a [UKC won't allow me to post this].
 marsbar 30 Jun 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

So, child of a single mother on a council estate, voted for the bedroom tax. What a bastard.
Removed User 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:
This Cartoon did the rounds again today

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/cartoon/2012/mar/16/1#img-1
Post edited at 22:06
 Dauphin 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

He comes across a bit/ quite a bit ASD. All big vision and no empathy. Strange little tics and mannerisms. I think he will freak out too many people in the Conservative Party TBH, or maybe that's their core electorate?

D
 Pete Pozman 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

When he was Education Secretary much was vaunted about his towering intellect. I never saw any proof of it whilst I worked under his aegis. His first act as minister was to ensure that a gold tooled King James Bible was sent to every school, with his name on it. It was all downhill from the moment he got the job. Schools are in chaos still, because of his incompetence.
He is the most arrant of tossers. Bad fess to him.

(I am a great admirer of the King James Bible)
KevinD 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> His recent "no time for experts" thing wasn't shallow politics, that's him, that's how he works.

I remember reading something about his style in education was "I liked this approach when I was a schoolkid therefore it will be fine for everyone".

What has happened to Osborne?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> His recent "no time for experts" thing wasn't shallow politics, that's him, that's how he works.

Yup: I came to the same realisation; an over-inflated sense of his own ability.
 Dauphin 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

>His first act as minister was to ensure that a gold tooled King James Bible was sent to every school, with his name on >it.

That's the kind of thing more people should know about him, like the whole population. It's just weird and wholly inappropriate thing to do on so many levels, and that's without factoring into it whether you believe its an essential text to be read in Schools, ( I don't). Dogmatic and without insight. His BBC interview today just reinforced my view that he's a strange little man with collections of identical animal bones all arranged in the same pattern. Definitely not someone who should be sitting in cabinet or indeed be P.M.

D

balmybaldwin 30 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> Teresa May for me. I don't think there's any contest and I'd be surprised if she let Boris into the cabinet at all!

She might appoint him Special Minister for Brexit just to make him take responsibility for this mess and do all the PR gigs on the broken promises
 balmybaldwin 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> He's a weasley little oik with all the charm of a sucked and spat out smartie.

> On behalf of the weasel anti-defamation league I demand you retract that. Weasels should not have to put up with being likened to Michael Gove.

I completely agree, he's stoatly different
 ScottTalbot 01 Jul 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> She might appoint him Special Minister for Brexit just to make him take responsibility for this mess and do all the PR gigs on the broken promises

Perhaps she'll just appoint him as the Special Minister, and leave it at that.
Jim C 01 Jul 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> She might appoint him Special Minister for Brexit just to make him take responsibility for this mess and do all the PR gigs on the broken promises

It might be too much to bear for First Minister Sturgeon to be taken out of the EU, by Gove a Scotsman leading the negotiations
 The New NickB 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
> He's a weasley little oik with all the charm of a sucked and spat out smartie.

That's a tentative yes for you then!
Post edited at 01:02
Removed User 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I have a family member in the civil service who has the same opion of him since he has been on the Justice ticket.
Jim C 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
Gove's wife .......

Is a nasty piece of work, and well worth the watching.
She would suit the lead female role in The Scottish play in my view.
Post edited at 06:21
Graeme G 01 Jul 2016
In reply to MG:

What i find hardest to understand is that he can't see that his behaviours clearly mark him as a complete and utter disloyal bastard of the first order. Who's going to vote for someone like that?
OP MG 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Maybe he does and it is all an anyone-but-Boris campaign?
Graeme G 01 Jul 2016
In reply to MG:

> Maybe he does and it is all an anyone-but-Boris campaign?

Maybe.....

The party round the table "right who else is prepared to stand to make sure that f*ckwit doesn't win"..... all eyes turn to Gove.....
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to cander:

Stephen Crabb Thinks that homosexuality can be cured. after all this turmoil the last thing we need is another nutjob. Send in May, tell her to get the biggest shoulder pads she's got and get the best deal possible out of this god awfull mess.
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> What i find hardest to understand is that he can't see that his behaviours clearly mark him as a complete and utter disloyal bastard of the first order. Who's going to vote for someone like that?

It's clearly all bull@hit. Someone had told Gove to throw himself on his sword taking bojo with him. Question is Who? Murdoch?
 John2 01 Jul 2016
In reply to doz generale:

Crabb is a deeply religious man who has in the past employed interns funded by a Christian organisation which has previously expressed strange views on homosexuals. Tabloid newspapers have distorted this to claim that he believes that homosexuals can be cured, and he has specifically denied that he thinks this.
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to John2:

> Crabb is a deeply religious man

This is enough to put him in nutjob territory

Rob Exile Ward 01 Jul 2016

'Fraid so.
 John2 01 Jul 2016

So do you stand by your first post and still claim that he thinks homosexuals can be cured despite his explicit denial, or have you now decided that you dislike him for a different reason?
 Rob Exile Ward 01 Jul 2016
In reply to John2:

Thinking homosexuals can be cured is pretty much on a par with thinking a sky fairy is looking after me personally but can't be bothered to look after people in, say, Syria.
 Andy Hardy 01 Jul 2016
In reply to cander:

Doesn't Steven Crab believe that "homosexuality is disease that can be cured"?
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to John2:

I stand by my assessment that he's a nutjob. I wouldn't trust anyone with strong religious views being in charge of the country

Shapeshifter 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Belter - cheered me up at work no end that
 cander 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:
Apparently not - but don't let something as trivial as the facts stop you rubbishing someone.
Post edited at 10:18
 John2 01 Jul 2016

You haven't answered my question. Do you still think that he believes that homosexuals can be cured or do you accept that your original post on him is rubbish?
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to John2:

> You haven't answered my question. Do you still think that he believes that homosexuals can be cured or do you accept that your original post on him is rubbish?

I'm not obliged to answer your question. He takes advice from people who believe that homosexuality can be cured which in my opinion gives him poor judgement.
 John2 01 Jul 2016

Really? Who are these people from whom he takes advice?
 Andy Hardy 01 Jul 2016
In reply to cander:

My mistake, he was an intern at CARE and co-sponsored a conference on "therapeutic approaches to same sex attraction", voted against gay marriage and so absolutely does not hold those views.

Postmanpat 01 Jul 2016

> This is enough to put him in nutjob territory

So that's Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, most prime ministers until about 1970, the Queen, Aung San Suu Kyi , Anwar Sadat, Jimmy carter, Well, the list is endless. All "nutjobs"
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> So that's Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, most prime ministers until about 1970, the Queen, Aung San Suu Kyi , Anwar Sadat, Jimmy carter, Well, the list is endless. All "nutjobs"

Are you saying that by me saying that someone who in this day and age is a nutjob for being deeply religious i'm implying that the list above are all also nutjobs? Ever heard of context?
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to John2:

> Really? Who are these people from whom he takes advice?

From here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-leadership-conte...

"Mr Crabb has employed interns in his parliamentary office through a scheme organised and funded by Christian Action Research and Education (Care). Care has previously sponsored events that refer to gay and bisexual people as “sexually broken” and advocating that they can become “ex-gay”.

The organisation has funded internship places for young people to be placed with MPs as researchers or interns and it has been reported that Mr Crabb was himself involved in such a scheme when he was young.

Addressing the concerns in 2012, Mr Crabb confirmed that he had received interns from the scheme while an MP. However, despite criticism of Care, he refused to distance himself from the group when asked."
 John2 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

How fortunate we have the balanced posters of UKC to provide a counterbalance to all these nutjobs.
 Postmanpat 01 Jul 2016
> Are you saying that by me saying that someone who in this day and age is a nutjob for being deeply religious i'm implying that the list above are all also nutjobs? Ever heard of context?

Yes I'm saying that. Either you think being deeply religious in this day and age makes someone a nutjob or you don't. If you are then the above must therefore be nutjobs.
Context is irrelevant unless you want to add specific caveats about the connection between religion and nutjoberry.
Post edited at 12:28
 John2 01 Jul 2016

So he took interns from them, not advice.
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Yes I'm saying that. Either you think being deeply religious in this day and age makes someone a nutjob or you don't. If you are then the above must therefore be nutjobs.

> Context is irrelevant unless you want to add specific caveats about the connection between religion and nutjoberry.

I love the word nutjoberry! I think being deeply religious in politics in modern day UK put's you out of step with most people. Would have been different a generation ago and is different in more religious countries. Also religious extremism does often come hand in hand with nutjoberry
 doz generale 01 Jul 2016
In reply to John2:

Interns who were employed as researchers. Do you think he ignored the research?
In reply to Postmanpat:

I think I might try and channel my inner Gove at my next job interview...

"I have never wanted this job and I have no charisma"
 cander 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I can point you to a few organisations that would be delighted to offer you a senior position based on that interview. However in general they keep you working at a lower level for five years to actually confirm your ineptitude then they promote you!
Removed User 01 Jul 2016
Come on Blair was deeply religious and that went pretty well, though I can't remember if it was quarter or a half a million dead Iraqis?
Post edited at 21:45
 Timmd 01 Jul 2016
> I love the word nutjoberry! I think being deeply religious in politics in modern day UK put's you out of step with most people. Would have been different a generation ago and is different in more religious countries. Also religious extremism does often come hand in hand with nutjoberry

I know a few religious people who I don't understand when it comes to that, but they're no odder than any atheists I know - I don't think, we all delude ourselves about different things etc. My own worry is when people start saying things like homosexuality is a sin and that kind of thing, without also saying it's a sin to wear clothes of mixed fibres, and all the other weird stuff (where applicable depending on their religion). If they can't step back and decide that something is only 'a sin' if it's harmful, I'm kind of perturbed by them, as then they perhaps start to be harmful to others in what they say to them and the beliefs they spread.
Post edited at 22:42
 Andy Farnell 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd: I don't know if Gove is religious, but he is a nutjob, proving you don't have to be religious to be mad as the proverbial hatter.

Andy F

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...