UKC

Environmental/community project ideas in the peaks/midlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 04 Jul 2016

Hi,

I'm in the process of organising a "corporate responsibility" community project with the aim of improving the environment and/or helping a local community. I work for a large company that operates all over the midlands; from Hathersage in the north, Leicester across to Shrewsbury and down to Gloucester. We can muster upwards of 200 people to work on 1 large or many small projects. I was thinking of things like litter picking, water course clean-up e.t.c, and if we can combine it with a challenge that could raise money (a mountain challenge) or similar that'd be great!

Does anyone have any ideas of what we could do? Or anyone know any areas that could really do with a clean-up that would improve the environment and/or the community?

Thank you so much for any suggestions!
Post edited at 08:16
KevinD 04 Jul 2016
In reply to phja:

Not a direct answer but someone like the BTCV, local wildlife trust,RSPB or the woodland trust will probably be able to give ideas or work with you on it.
 toad 04 Jul 2016
In reply to KevinD: one large project? Talk to rspb about doing something on the eastern moors, but unless you've got deep pockets, the logistics of getting all those people together on one site might be harder than you think. If you'd rather just deal with one coordinator on the other side, this might be easiest.

If you want local projects, the wildlife trusts would be your best bet. Identify nature reserves near your bases and talk to them about appropriate local projects - hopefully something more imaginative/ longer lasting than clean ups or litter picking, mind. The advantage of this is its much less hassle for your people as its close to home. The big downside is that it will probably need more organisation and you may have to liaise with multiple separate bodies, though the Trusts could probably help with that. If you want putting in touch with someone who might be able to help with this, pm me with more details and I'll pass it on.

How tight is your schedule. It's easier to find jobs for big groups later in the year, but often corporates aren't so keen to work in colder weather.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

womblingfree 04 Jul 2016
In reply to phja:

You could also try Groundwork, they've got a bases throughout the Midlands and will probably have multiple projects ready to go and needing free labour

http://www.groundwork.org.uk/
 Timmd 04 Jul 2016
In reply to phja:
Carbrook Ravine in Sheffield which is managed by Sheffield Wildlife Trust is a spot where a lot (of the locals?) seem to fly tip, it's near the Manor Estate in the city.

It'd be grotty work, but 200 people could possibly make a huge difference in terms of finally fully clearing up the rubbish there which the staff and volunteers don't quite get time to, they just tend to keep on top of it.

There'd likely be other stuff to do too.
Post edited at 09:30
Moley 04 Jul 2016
In reply to phja:

Footpath clearing (brambles, nettles etc), a possible in that volunteers could all clear a mile of overgrown path and send "gangs" out in different areas so cut down on travelling? Only temporary of course as it would all be overgrown next year, but that's the same with litter picking unfortunately.
OP phja 04 Jul 2016
In reply to phja:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'll look into all of them. Hopefully we can set up something that will benefit everyone involved!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...