UKC

Driving and Disabled Pedestrians

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 07 Jul 2016
Scenario: You are waiting in your vehicle to rejoin a main road after having visited, say, a petrol station. To do so you have to cross a pavement. About to pas in front of you on the pavement is an obviously blind person with a guide dog.

What do you do?
 pebbles 07 Jul 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

wait, of course. why is this even a question?
 fred99 07 Jul 2016

The pavement is for pedestrians, not vehicles.
Whether or not the person wishing to pass across your route is blind, you should ALWAYS give way and let the pedestrian(s) continue unhindered.
Indeed if you are waiting on said pavement to enter the flow of traffic, and any pedestrian(s) wish to go past, it is good manners at the very least to reverse (if safe to do so) and allow them unhindered progress along said pavement.
 john arran 07 Jul 2016
If you sound your horn loudly enough you might get lucky, in that the dog may bolt and drag the blind person along much faster that they otherwise might have walked, thereby minimising their selfish disruption to your important day.

Edit: typo
Post edited at 13:24
OP FesteringSore 07 Jul 2016
In reply to pebbles and fred99: I asked because I saw that very scenario this morning and was quite astounded to see the driver in front of me, admittedly pause momentarily, but then drove across the path of the blind pedestrian. Thankfully the dog appeared to do what he or she was trained to do.

To me, and I'm sure most people it's not just good manners or driving but common sense.

In reply to john arran:

I hope that was posted tongue in cheek.
 john arran 07 Jul 2016

> I hope that was posted tongue in cheek.

I would have hoped that much was obvious; what a world we must live in if there's even any doubt.
In reply to john arran:

> I would have hoped that much was obvious; what a world we must live in if there's even any doubt.

Fair enough; disregard my comment.
 pebbles 07 Jul 2016

blimey!!!!!
 deepsoup 07 Jul 2016

Don't be fooled by John's back-pedalling "nice guy, only kidding" act. The man is a monster.
 mp3ferret 07 Jul 2016

Make sure that no-one is looking - then do what you like - It's not like they'll be able to get your registration number.
 WaterMonkey 07 Jul 2016
In reply to mp3ferret:

> Make sure that no-one is looking - then do what you like - It's not like they'll be able to get your registration number.

All guide dogs are trained to read number plates now, they then communicate the plate to police using a mix of woofs, paw taps and pants.
 john arran 07 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Don't be fooled by John's back-pedalling "nice guy, only kidding" act. The man is a monster.

Have a 'like'
 john arran 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> All guide dogs are trained to read number plates now, they then communicate the plate to police using a mix of woofs, paw taps and pants.

A mate of mine cracked a joke his dog had told him ... but it was pants
 fred99 08 Jul 2016

It's a pity you didn't get the b*st*rds number and report it to the police.
I'd hope that they would throw the book at him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...