UKC

Deatherendum?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donald82 08 Jul 2016
The top two predictors of how people voted for brexit were:

1. Attitudes to Europian integration
2. Attitudes to immigration

So far so obvious...

Number 3. on the list: attitude to the death penalty. (Way ahead of age, class, education etc.)

Let's hope we don't have a deatherendum anytime soon.
 Trevers 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Donald82:
Do you have any sources for that?

Also, I think it's more useful to see concrete identifiers like age, gender, income, race/religion than identifiers about attitudes, so we can get some insight into what shapes those attitudes.

Some issues just shouldn't be put to a "democratic" vote.
Post edited at 12:27
 Rob Exile Ward 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Donald82:

I wish people would stop mentioning it, some Tory f*ckwit is eventually bound to pick up on that as a source of cheap publicity and before you know it, we'll have Murdoch behind it and a gallows installed in the Scrubs before you can say European Convention on Human Rights.
 Chipmunk 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

>some Tory f*ckwit
Strange. Having read a few of your posts I had you down as an educated, intelligent person with an ability to tolerate the views of those who might have opposing views to your own. I certainly didn't see you as somebody who would descend to using such phraseology just because you might disagree with them.
 tony 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

I think Tory f*ckwit is a perfectly reasonable term to use in this context.
In reply to Chipmunk:

I will happily support the right of others to hold differing views from my own, until those views encompass hanging poor people by the neck until they're dead, for political gain.

Of course there maybe no-one who holds such views, in which case there are no Tory f*ckwits, problem solved!
Tomtom 08 Jul 2016

> ...before you can say European Convention on Human Rights.

It is against my human rights to have my life taken as a form of punishment for the severe crimes I have committed!
Instead, I expect the state to find my lavish prison life style, feed me, house me, provide medical attention, rehabilitite me, buy me Xbox games.
God forbid I actually get punished more than the suffering I imposed on the people affected by my crimes.

Not saying petty theft should result in death or owt, just playing devils advocate, ya know?
In reply to Tomtom:

'Instead, I expect the state to find my lavish prison life style, feed me, house me, provide medical attention, rehabilitite me, buy me Xbox games.' Yes, it's a beggar isn't it, you drive past Cardiff prison and you can't move for the queues of people trying to get themselves admitted.
 d_b 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Completely off topic but Deatherendum is an awesome name for a low budget action film. Or a metal band.
 ebdon 08 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it - starring and directed by Steven Seagal
 Ridge 08 Jul 2016

> I will happily support the right of others to hold differing views from my own, until those views encompass hanging poor people by the neck until they're dead, for political gain.

I'd quite like to hang a few rich people, I take it that,s acceptable?
Donald82 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Trevers:

> I think it's more useful to see concrete identifiers like age, gender, income, race/religion than identifiers about attitudes, so we can get some insight into what shapes those attitudes.

Not sure I follow. The point here is there's a better correlation with death penalty views than there is with age, income etc., which is trying get at what shapes views beyond age, income etc. Numbers from the blog below. The guy writing thinks it's to with attitudes to (the perception of) control. ie people like Brexit because it gives them a sense of control.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/personal-values-brexit-vote/?utm_s...

Donald82 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> I'd quite like to hang a few rich people, I take it that,s acceptable?

Purely academic question. Countries with the death penalty don't tend to hang rich people. Which I think is Rob's point.
 Ridge 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> Purely academic question. Countries with the death penalty don't tend to hang rich people. Which I think is Rob's point.

I'm all for equality. A Guillotine might be better?
 WaterMonkey 08 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Completely off topic but Deatherendum is an awesome name for a low budget action film. Or a metal band.

It would also make a great route name!
 Timmd 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Tomtom:
> It is against my human rights to have my life taken as a form of punishment for the severe crimes I have committed!
> Instead, I expect the state to find my lavish prison life style, feed me, house me, provide medical attention, rehabilitite me, buy me Xbox games.
> God forbid I actually get punished more than the suffering I imposed on the people affected by my crimes.
> Not saying petty theft should result in death or owt, just playing devils advocate, ya know?

Hmmn, the provision of xbox games or similar, if that actually does happen, is to keep people occupied enough to stop them from wanting to riot, it's a means of keeping people passively at peace. That's certainly the case for having TV in the cells.

Personally, i think it's punishment enough to become institutionalised (or have a high risk of becoming)), and to have one's life expectancy reduced as a result of going to prison. When you look into how many prisoners have been in care as children, have very low educational standards, or have been abused as children, the picture becomes even grimmer....

Don't you think losing one's freedom is punishment enough?
Post edited at 21:11
 birdie num num 09 Jul 2016

There's a lot of poor folk who'd like to hang Tony Blair by the neck.
It al depends on your personal experience, situation, history, pain, bitterness, anger.
It cannot simply be defined by the term f*ckwit. Or Tory.
It's far more complex. Chipmunk is correct

AP Melbourne 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd: :in reply to tomtom

Before the rant begins: Should that be 'fund' not 'find'?

> Hmmn, the provision of xbox games or similar,,,,

> Don't you think losing one's freedom is punishment enough? ,,,,

OK, tip-toing on thin ice here; Concur about 'passively at peace' and any poor folk who've suffered various forms of abuse as children ... no questions (underlined) there, BUT (sorry to shout); The three fc*n maggots who stalked and brutally raped then indescribably murdered (and in one case apparently raped again) the three young ladies here in Victoria a few years ago are now in prison for the max penalty of (up to) 35yrs - Reckon they'll be pretty good on Xbox by then and well fed, looked after medically, warm & dry, fit-as having had free access to the gym ... and ping-effing-pong.

Do I think 'losing ones freedom' - in their cases - is punishment enough? Oh please! Fc*n spare me ...
Compare it to losing a daughter, sister, mum (in such unimaginably abhorent circumstances) and Never, Ever sleeping well again ... these 'monsters' gave up all & any rights to'freedom' when they comitted such attrocities (one had EIGHTEEN priors for sexual assualt & rape and was doing eleven years yet the parole board let him out ... for the 19th time!!!!). 'Rights to Freedom' my ar*e! By my rough calcs, every man, woman and child in Victoria is 'spending' AU45c/yr to keep this +***+ in Xboxes and bog roll. Fc*k off wowsers (not directed at Anybody in this thread necessarly), but, really ... shakes head.
And if my rant's not enough to convince the do-gooders the stalking's all there on YouTube (not recommended for children or the squeamish).

Andy Gamisou 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> I'm all for equality. A Guillotine might be better?

"You can keep your equalities and fraternities, but I'll have none of your liberties."

Name that movie.
 BnB 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:
> "You can keep your equalities and fraternities, but I'll have none of your liberties."

> Name that movie.

No idea but sounds like Groucho Marx
Post edited at 08:14
In reply to Donald82:
We're going to get death penalty and eventually abortion and gay marriage back as political issues because post Brexit the Tories have been captured by the UK version of the religious right in the same way as the republicans were in the US.

In the absence of any effective opposition from Labour and with 60 something percent of Tory party members over 60 candidates for the leadership need an agenda for pensioners with a 1950s world view. The guys with the money behind the Tories are just interested in transferring services provided by the state to services paid for by buying financial services and protecting the wealth of property owners and it costs nothing to push a few populist buttons on social issues to get the votes so they can do the things they actually want to do.

Just like the Republicans getting in bed with the evangelical Christians and getting saddled with Trump and the muslim countries that have played games funding islamic terrorists to disrupt their neighbours getting bombs in their own country it will eventually all turn to crap for the Tories when the cynical smart people behind it discover they can't actually control their own right wing. Maybe the City getting blocked from selling into Europe will be the start of it but it is going to be expensive for the rest of us.
Post edited at 11:40
Andy Gamisou 09 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

> No idea but sounds like Groucho Marx

Joan Sims, Carry on don't lose your head.
 Rob 10 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Or a potentially lethal climb!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...