UKC

How best to open Old Port Bottles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr.S at work 10 Jul 2016
I've come into some old bottles of port 1981,82,86 and a 1976 Madeira.

My vague recollection is that opening older bottles is fraught with risk - any advice from the UKC drinking massif ?
 SenzuBean 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> My vague recollection is that opening older bottles is fraught with risk

You couldn't be more correct. It's very dangerous - for both the opener, and the bottle. You can send them to me, I'm an expert at opening them (free of charge).

gribble 10 Jul 2016

This may work...
http://imgur.com/gallery/D9drg6K
 nightclimber 10 Jul 2016

Use a long corkscrew and try to remove the cork entirely. If this part fails and the cork breaks into pieces or pushes into the bottle, you can push the remainder of the cork into the bottle. Strain through muslin into a decanter. Drink.
OP Dr.S at work 10 Jul 2016
In reply to gribble:

> This may work...

Do you need to strain it through muslin after that?
 Lord_ash2000 10 Jul 2016

Try this youtube.com/watch?v=8p0-gJF65q8& seems pretty effective and cool.
OP Dr.S at work 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Looks fun, just need to rig up some metal tongs to heat...
 EddInaBox 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Basically the same way:
youtube.com/watch?v=YcqVwMvGQtU&
 Morty 10 Jul 2016

> I've come into some old bottles of port

I wouldn't want to drink them after that...

kevin stephens 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Morty:
It looks like there may be a lot of very old vintage port bottles opened tonight!
 aln 10 Jul 2016

I once tried to open a bottle of champagne using the big knife to chop below the top of the cork method. I missed and cut off the top of the bottle with the cork intact. Wait a minute, is that what was supposed to happen?
 jcw 10 Jul 2016
I've never found that port or old wines strained through muslin ever tastes quite the same, even though the alternative may mean getting bits of cork in your glass.
 Timmd 10 Jul 2016
In reply to jcw:

In wineries I'm sure they have anything with a cork in tilted downwards, so that the wine stops the cork from drying out.
 arch 11 Jul 2016

Take your time.

Stand the bottle upright for a few days to let any sediment fall to the bottom. Screw the cork screw into the cork just enough so as not to pierce right through. Lever the cork out very carefully, trying not to break it into two pieces. Decant the bottle over a white sheet of paper into a receptacle, making sure you leave any sediment present in the Port, still in the bottle.

Enjoy.

(Really rather jealous)
 jcw 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
That is doubtless true, but anyone who cares will do likewise. However, that does not prevent old corks from crumbling and the issue is do you then strain it or do you do you put up with the
little floating bits in your glass? I find that straining somehow makes for a quality loss.
 Toccata 11 Jul 2016

I wouldn't consider those bottles as old so I don't think you should have any problems. However 81 and 86 were not declared vintages and 82 wasn't great so they may not be the best quality corks. Use a spiral corkscrew (one with a hollow 'centre' where the wire twists around) and work gently. A coffee filter is fine to remove sediment and a tea strainer for bits of cork if it goes badly.
OP Dr.S at work 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Toccata:

interesting - so Port houses vary the quality of the cork they use based on their expectations for the wine?
 Chris Harris 11 Jul 2016

> UKC drinking massif ?

Are there any routes on this massif? Can't find it in the database.
 Timmd 11 Jul 2016
In reply to jcw:
> That is doubtless true, but anyone who cares will do likewise. However, that does not prevent old corks from crumbling and the issue is do you then strain it or do you do you put up with the

> little floating bits in your glass? I find that straining somehow makes for a quality loss.

I've never drunk port to be honest, I can just remember going around wineries as a kid with my parents while on holiday, and an old guy explaining about the bottles being tilted downwards. I can imagine that straining it through some muslin might do that. Something 'neutral' made from stainless steel to strain it through could be a better idea perhaps?
Post edited at 13:13
 ogreville 11 Jul 2016

Use a shoe! -

youtube.com/watch?v=fXihX13xjqQ&

I used this method on camping trip with a very nice bottle of wine, a shoe and a tree. Works a treat
 nniff 11 Jul 2016
In reply to ogreville:

Most of the time- a bottle shattered on me once - I was very lucky and escaped almost unharmed, but the stereo amplifier that was below was less fortunate
 nniff 11 Jul 2016

What you really need is one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MONOPOL-Two-Prong-superfine-polished-finished/dp/B... - a butler's friend.

At the very least, a very good open coil corkscrew (rather than a closed Archimedes-type screw)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...