UKC

Lawrencefield Mess

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 10 Jul 2016
A friend has informed me that there has been some vandalism/ mess created at Lawrencefield around the Gingerbread Slab including some glass dropped down some of the routes leading to a climber cutting their hand. I'll try to get more information on which routes.
James
 philhilo 11 Jul 2016
In reply to James Oswald:

Seems to be a popular spot for raves and general piss ups. Alas going to beautiful spots does not mean respecting them.
 Timmd 12 Jul 2016
In reply to philhilo:

No it doesn't. I understand there's a group of ravers from Sheffield who regularly go to different sites in the Peak, and they generally tidy up and bag things out, but not everybody does.
 deepsoup 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
> and they generally tidy up and bag things out

After a fashion. They do make a bit of an effort, which is to their credit, but it's invariably a pretty half-arsed job.
 olddirtydoggy 12 Jul 2016

It's a notorious black spot for rubbish but glass on routes is a new low. A good few on here have regularly dragged bbq's, plastic chairs and all sorts of crap away. There's not really a way of stopping it other than decent people doing their bit. Shame.
 Shani 12 Jul 2016

Can you find out a bit more and post it up here? I might be able to go out after work tomorrow and clean some (if not all) of it up.
 Timmd 12 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Is that the regular crowd with the little tent and things?
 johncook 12 Jul 2016

I was there on Sunday while the NT staff were clearing away numerous black bin liners full of rubbish. On gingerbread slab there is a huge splodge of margarine half way up, and more at the bottom. The NT staff have done a great job, it is just a shame that they have to follow after ignorant people who have no respect for out great countryside. This happens too often.
 philhilo 12 Jul 2016

It does baffle me the 'go to nice place and trash it' syndrome, why? Walked out of Dovedale the other day carrying an entire selection of Chinese take-away cartons, bags and utensils that had been dumped by the path. The main bag had split a bit so I guess they decided to dump it - I managed it and added a pile of other assorted litter on the way
 deepsoup 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
> Is that the regular crowd with the little tent and things?

If there is a regular crowd then I guess that seems likely, but I honestly wouldn't know.

Unless it's a really distinctive little tent you're talking about here? In which case maybe not, I've never seen one that struck me as particularly special.
 johncook 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Shani:
The NT people cleared it all up on Sunday morning apart from the mess on the slab.
Post edited at 20:25
 Shani 12 Jul 2016
In reply to johncook:

> The NT people cleared it all up on Sunday morning apart from the mess on the slab.

Thanks for the update, and well done the NT.
 Timmd 13 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> If there is a regular crowd then I guess that seems likely, but I honestly wouldn't know.

> Unless it's a really distinctive little tent you're talking about here? In which case maybe not, I've never seen one that struck me as particularly special.

An awning type thing for the DJ decks I'm thinking of. I hesitate to name their social media 'collective name' just in case though.
 deepsoup 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Ah right. The nearest I've ever been to seeing that was hearing the "doom doom doom" in the distance!

I've never actually been there while the event was properly underway - I was once at Millstone as they were beginning to arrive (when I got home, realised I'd lost a cam and nipped back to look for it), and a couple of other times I was out there the morning after to find the odd dazed raver still floating about in a state of mild post-party euphoria.
 Chris Harris 14 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> After a fashion. They do make a bit of an effort, which is to their credit, but it's invariably a pretty half-arsed job.

True. Mind you, whenever I've seen them on the Sunday morning, they've usually been so ripped to the tits that any sort of tidy up attempt would probably seem like quite a challenge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...