UKC

Stanage A-Z

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hat Dude 12 Jul 2016
I had a great day on Stanage last Friday doing a little challenge to mark turning 60 earlier this year.
The aim was, in one day, to climb a route beginning with each letter of the alphabet in alphabetical order.

The crag was dripping wet after Thursday nights rain when I started at 7:30am but the weather steadily improved and I completed Z by 5:30pm. I didn't lead them all, a sound plan due to the conditions & my lack of ability!

If anybody else might be interested in doing this, there are many permutations and it is just possible to do it at up to VS. You could make it more interesting by going for as many stars as possible (I managed 30) or hot shots could go for as many E points as they could manage.

I'd like to say a big thank you to the group of friends from Rugby Mountaineering Club who came along to help & support me.
 doz generale 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Good effort! I've not been not Stanage for a decade. I would love to go back for a few days of quality climbing.
 Greasy Prusiks 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Great idea for a day out.
 deacondeacon 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Come on then, where's your list?
OP Hat Dude 12 Jul 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

I'm sure this can easily be improved upon in difficulty and quality

Awl HVD
Bee VD
Crack & Cave VD
Dun HS 4b
Elastic VS 4c
Fairy Castle Crack VD
Garden Wall S 4a
Hollybush Crack VD
Inverted V VS 4b
Jitter Face S 4a
Kirkus' Left Hand S 4b
Leaning Buttress Crack VD
Mississipi Buttress Direct VS 4c
Newhaven D
Old Pals HS 4b
Pal Joey VD
Queersville HVS 5a
Robin Hood's Staircase VD
Shuffle VD
Turf Crack VD
Upanover Crack S 4b
Veranda Pillar HS 4b
Warm Afternoon VD
X-Ray HS 4b
Youth VD
Zagrete HS 4b
 Michael Hood 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:
Did this in 2011 - the bottleneck was X-Ray at HS 4b (from the 2003 guide - maybe there's more than 1 "X" in the latest guide) so I set that as my maximum grade. It was quite fun but a bit knackering as it was hot that day.

I soloed them all so it didn't take all day...
Ami M
Boyd’s Crack D
Cave Buttress S
Duo Crack Climb HD
Eckhard’s Arête HS 4a
Frosty D
Gnat’s Slab Direct HS 4b
Heather Crack HVD
Ice Cream Flakes VD
Jam Good VD
Kelly’s Eliminate HS 4a
Lepton HS 4b
Meson VD
New Year’s Eve HS 4b
October Crack D
Pull and Step VD 4b
Quadrille HS 4b
Radox S
Staircase Rib D
Tango Crack VD
Undercoat S
Ventured Point HS 4b
Warm Afternoon VD
X-Ray HS 4b
Youth VD Solo
And because of the heat, drove along to...
Zip Crack M

Not as good quality as your list as I was going for ease, familiarity, and least distance between the routes.

Intention was then to do it again with HS 4b as the minimum grade but I never got around to doing that. Don't think I'd be soloing all of them.
Post edited at 14:56
OP Hat Dude 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

It was me that posted suggesting this back in Jan 2012.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=443568

X-Ray is still the only X

The worst bit of my day was the walk to and back from High Neb/Cosmic Crack area
 d_b 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Nicely done.

Nobody at the BMC has yet replied to my proposal to use earth moving/quarrying equipment to sort the routes into alphabetical order along the crag in order to make navigating between them more efficient.

OK, so left unconquerable and right unconquerable would be half a mile apart and in the "wrong" order, but that's a small price to pay!
 Michael Hood 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude: Post was in Jan 2011 - had totally forgotten about that thread, seems like I was tempted at the time and it took 3 months to warm up enough.

OP Hat Dude 12 Jul 2016

> , seems like I was tempted at the time and it took 3 months to warm up enough.

Took me five and a half years!!!
 LakesWinter 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Nice one and a nice list too. Looking for a Stanage based challenge to try in the near future - this could be a good one...
 Michael Hood 13 Jul 2016
In reply to LakesWinter: it's good if you've done loads of routes at Stanage and are looking for a challenge and more fun than 100 routes in a day which is a real struggle unless you are very fit.

LakesWinter 13 Jul 2016

Cool thanks and yeah I've done loads at Stanage....
 Offwidth 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Well done... just gotta love challenges like this...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...