UKC

Accident and rescue at Giggleswick South. Tuesday 12 July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A big thumbs up to all involved in sorting out and helping with the rescue of me on Tuesday. Firstly to my climbing buddy Mike Payne for keeping so cool in looking after me and for sorting out the emergency services and Mountain Rescue. Secondly to all the great team from Clapham Cave Rescue who were brilliant in sorting me out ready to be winched out. Thirdly to the Sea King team from Humbersode who winched me out so carefully. Fourthly to the team of the Preston air ambulance who were also great on getting me to A&E. And finally to the staff at Preston Royal Hospital who have been brilliant in looking after me.
If anyone recovered my six wild country proton quickdraws and two DMM phantom screw gates which were on the belay of Low Stern please get in touch, thank you. I will of course give an appropriate reward/gift.
I intend to make donations to Clapham Cave Rescue, The Sea King team from Humberside and the Air ambulance team from Preston.
If anyone climbs Low Stern take care as this is where a big block fell from and nearly killed me as I was lowering off; glad I was wearing a helmet!!! Though I swear the Rock was really solid and not loose??
Cheers
Chris
Post edited at 21:28
 danm 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Christheclimber:

Sounds like you had a lucky escape? Best of luck on a fast and full recovery!
 nigel baker 15 Jul 2016

Phew Chris, here's to a speedy recovery. It's great to know that when some thing like this happens, the super people that come to help.
Get well soon.
Nigel
In reply to danm:
Hi danm,
Yes lucky to be alive I think, thank up for your kind concern.
Cheers
Chris
In reply to nigel baker:

Hi Nigel,
Good to hear from you and thank you for your concerns,
I'm a bit battered to say the least with fractured scapula and ball socket, some broken ribs and fractured vertibras, so not on good shape!
Yes you really do take mountain rescue and the associated services for granted until you need than. They provide a superb service.
Cheers for now
Chris

Bump
astley007 15 Jul 2016

Hi all,
as long time friend of Chris, as are many others out there, I heard about this when he sent me a message from his hospital bed!!!!
Not much else I can say..except we all wish him well
1. He was hopefully been discharged today (Fri)..but due to radiology!!!! being crap, he maybe still an in-patient over the weekend..so will see him at some point over weekend.
2. It may well be too early, but will see if we can get him down to Pervil for an hour next Friday, we can sort out plenty of pain killing opiates between us. (perhaps)
However,we (all reading this post) never know what services we may need in the future, so any donations to the above services are welcome, as well as CAC (my plug!!)
3. Regarding his left gear, I wont manage to get there (the crag) until next weekend, so if anyone can retrieve it, am sure he will be very grateful, if you can post it back to him even better, but I can always help if needed?

Lets all wish him a very speedy and painfree as possible recovery, and keep our fingers crossed that he is good for October?
All the Best
Cheers
Nick B
 Missile 15 Jul 2016

Get well soon Chris.
Rick and Ruth
In reply to astley007:

Cheers Nick, speak soon mate.
In reply to Missile:

Cheers. Hope you and Ruth are both well and climbing like beasts!!??

Regards

Chris
peerjay56 15 Jul 2016

Hi Chris,
Hope you're safely home, but if not, I hope you're feeling more comfortable if still at the mercy of the NHS!
As you're keen to make some contribution to those involved in rescuing you, I thought it would help just to clarify that the 'sea King' team from Humberside is actually an HM Coastguard crew, flying Sikorsky S92's now. The air ambulance crew were Yorkshire Air Ambulance (helimed 98) - they can fly in Lancashire, but need passports, I think LOL. Clapham Cave Rescue's official title is the Cave Rescue Organisation www.cro.org.uk. Despite the title, they provide mountain rescue in the Three Peaks and Malham area as well as cave rescue - in fact, over 80% of their calls are for climbers and walkers or other 'surface' incidents.
All on the team wish you well in your recovery, and I hope you get your gear back!!

All the best,
Phil (CRO team member)

Would the disliking troll like to say why they disliked this ?
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

> Would the disliking troll like to say why they disliked this ?

Yes I was baffled by that one too!
In reply to peerjay56:

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for the update of correct names etc of the services involved in my rescue. I think I was a bit out of it at the time!
And many many thanks to you and your team for the efficient and effective rescue. You are all stars and do a great job who I think we take for granted until we need them.
I'll be in touch with you and CRO when I am out of hospital and mobile!
Kind regards
Chris
 GaryM 16 Jul 2016

Hi Chris, I recovered your quickdraws and screw gates and have posted them to Mike. There were only 5 quickdraws, there wasn't one on the first bolt, I assumed Mike had already remove it. You were very lucky as there are still several other loose blocks including one the size of a fridge right next to where the one that hit you came from. The block that hit you came from just above the yew tree to the right of the route. I can only assume that your rope got behind the block as you lowered down and it levered off. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.
Gary
In reply to GaryM:

Hi Gary,
Thanks for doing that I really appreciate your help and thank you for your best wishes. Didn't realise that area by the tree was unstable as it appeared solid when I led it!!! I had a lucky escape as the one that hit me nearly took me out and a fridge sized one would definitely have done for me. I don't think the rope got behind the block as the route goes diagonally left from the third bolt away from the tree area but who knows!!?? Let me know the cost of the postage and I will send you a reward for your kindness and help.
All the best for now and safe climbing!
Cheers for now
Chris
 GaryM 16 Jul 2016

Hi Chris,
You don't need to bother with the postage or reward, I am just glad to be able to help. I hope it hasn't put you off Giggleswick as there are some good solid climbs, particularly on the bonhomie, silent laughter and swans sectors.
Cheers
Gary
abseil 16 Jul 2016

Hi Chris, thanks for posting and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery very soon.
In reply to abseil:

Hi Abseil,
Thanks for your best wishes, now home and hopefully on the road to recovery.
Cheers
Chris
In reply to GaryM:

> Hi Chris,

> You don't need to bother with the postage or reward, I am just glad to be able to help. I hope it hasn't put you off Giggleswick as there are some good solid climbs, particularly on the bonhomie, silent laughter and swans sectors.

> Cheers

> Gary

Hi Gary,
That's very kind of you, it's much appreciated. I'll send some extra to the rescue services. No it's not put me off Giggleswick, I've done quite a lot there and found the majority pretty solid and well bolted.
Cheers
Chris
 Timmd 17 Jul 2016

> Yes I was baffled by that one too!

Same here.
In reply to GaryM:

Hi Gary,
Good to make contact and to speak with you earlier this evening.
Once again many thanks for the retrieval and return of my quick draws and screwgates which Mike received this morning. You are clearly one of the good guys!
Kind regards
Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...