UKC

Spooky coincidences at the crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andysomething 15 Jul 2016
On Tuesday at the Wainstones we found a rather soggy guidebook. The owner had written his telephone number in, so my mate contacted him and posted it back to his home in Penrith.

On Thursday we went to Shepherds. Whilst belaying on Adam a bloke came up Eve and belayed next to me. We got chatting a bit. I mentioned that my mate (who was busy up P2) had driven over from York. A few minutes later my mate shouted "safe" and I replied "off belay Bruce".

This bloke said is by any chance your mate's second name "Perry?" - I said yes, thinking there was maybe a Cleveland CC connection. He said "tell him I got the guide book in the post this morning!" Spooky or what!!??

Any other similar weird conicidences out there?
 Skyfall 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Andysomething:

Very good!

On our latest trip to Kaly, our first trip there in 2 years, we'd just arrived at the hotel and nipped out to get some supplies. We bumped into an American guy we'd met and become friendly with 2 years ago on Kaly. He'd just arrived as well, having not visited since we'd last met 2 years ago. 15 mins later he checked into our hotel and room next to us.

We then headed out to climb and arriving at the base of the crag realised the pair stood next to us were some acquaintances from our local climbing wall.

We decided to leave the next day to get away from the usual crowd....
OP Andysomething 15 Jul 2016

Would you Adam and Eve it?!!

(boom boom Mr Derek.....)
 tjin 15 Jul 2016

Last time i got to the crag i bumped in to a Tinder match...
 SenzuBean 15 Jul 2016

My email address was given to a guy who's visiting the UK from New Zealand 3-4 weeks ago, as I might be a good person to do some mid-week stuff with at his grade as he had 3 weeks to do a lot of routes. We exchanged a few emails giving rough plans and ideas, that maybe after my trip to Pembroke on the weekend we could sort more. Well my trip to Pembroke was only the Saturday, so on the Sunday we were climbing at Shorn Cliff. I happened to overhear a kiwi accent, but thought nothing of it - there's hundreds of kiwis in the UK who are climbers. Eventually after some crag chit chat, he mentions he's on a 3 week trip here looking to do lots of trad... I ask him "is your name Steve (name protected due to poor memory) by any chance?", "why yes it his he replies, how did you know?" - and sure enough, it's the guy I've been emailing!
 Wesley Orvis 15 Jul 2016
was in the Stickle Barn car park one evening and came out of the toilet and my mate was telling Dave Birkett and his Mrs Mary how much he climbs and asking if they know the area at all as he could tell them good places to visit and how good he is at climbing and basically treating him like a tourist, I told him who he was and he got quite embarrassed for lecturing him as did Dave for me recognising him. I then bumped into Dave Birkett 3 times in a row at different crags around the Lakes in a couple of week period after this, then bumped into him in the Kendal shopping centre, I am a fan and I think he thought I was stalking him, anyways a week later went up to Arran and was at the Sannox car park getting packed for a day on the hill when a motorbike pulled up next to me with two people on, I nodded and said hello, then the next thing they removed there helmets and it was DB and Mary, there face when they saw it was us again said it all. Then we got the same ferry again on the way back and ended up next to him in the food queue. I seriously think he thought I was a crazed fan stalking him, he didn't want to chat. All coincidence but I think he thought it was too much to be just coincidence and I was actually stalking him.
Post edited at 14:09
 Toerag 15 Jul 2016
In reply to tjin:
> Last time i got to the crag i bumped in to a Tinder match...

...and?
 tjin 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Toerag:
>> Last time i got to the crag i bumped in to a Tinder match...

>...and?

Not much.
- She walked by
- I asked if she was <insert name>
- She said yes
- I introduced my self.
- She asked do I know you?
- 'Yes, we where a tinder match'.
- She laught

But i was actually talking to somebody else and she was walking somewhere. So not much more.
Only had a short chat with her later. Did knew a lot of her friends and end up talking to them way more.

Mike C 16 Jul 2016

Many years ago I met and climbed/walked with a couple of girls camping at Glen Brittle on Skye. Half kept in touch with them afterwards. Jump forward a year & I'm climbing at Froggatt, when, half way up a route, I remember that one of the girls, Wendy, had said she had climbed there at times, I turn my head to the left & there she is, about 20 feet away half way up another route. We had a good day there, catching up on stuff.

Sadly, the following year (1980), we were both in Chamonix but we're unable to meet up as, whilst I was up on Aiguille de Chardonnet she was with a party on the North Face of the Tour Ronde. She was one of the eight who died in a tragic accident.
 Wesley Orvis 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike C: so sorry to hear that Mike.

Michael Hood 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike C: I presume that must have been Wendy from Leicester, knew her from school and climbing. Very tragic and not the fault of anyone on her rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...