UKC

Military coup in Turkey?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Holy moly.

JMarkW 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

World's gone mad
 DerwentDiluted 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Bloody hell Boris, 48 hrs and you deployed the limerick regime change gambit!
 Timmd 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:
Erdogan has left Turkey in his private jet, and is now skyping from it asking his supporters to take to the streets and to fight the army, according to my Turkish facebook friend (real life friend of a friend). She's just shared a streaming of some new coverage of it on fb via mobile.

Blimey.
Post edited at 23:04
Clauso 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> Erdogan has left Turkey in his private jet, and is now skyping from it asking his supporters to take to the streets and to fight the army...

There's nothing like leading by example, I suppose?

Timmd 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Clauso:
Don't be silly. (irony)

I'll keep a watch for anything else.
Post edited at 23:12
 Sir Chasm 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

I'm not worried, i have complete confidence that our foreign secretary will be able to offer every assistance.
 kevin stephens 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

lots of confusion but the coup seems to be more secular than islam
 Big Ger 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

To who?
 Sir Chasm 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> To who?

To whoever needs it, obviously.
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

I'm sure he won't steam in there and make it worse
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

There's gunfire on the streets now. really not looking good
OP aln 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I'm sure he's preparing his response right now. Wondering which level of hair dishevelment is appropriate, hmm maybe a whole new style. How does my limerick fit in? lol, maybe I can rework it into... Nope, nothing Erm..
 Timmd 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:
I read something interesting about how children can sometimes turn out after having gone to boarding school, and the different personae they can adopt as a means of defence, in appearing to be cheerfully bumbling as a way of deflecting criticism, or of seeming very capable and in charge, but how in the long run it doesn't do them any good because they can struggle to develop in other areas and end up more rounded as personalities, leaving them at a disadvantage when in the adult world, in not always being the best at colaborating with other people, or relating to them. Boris sometimes makes me think of somebody with a bumbling personae who possibly isn't best suited to the intricacies of adulthood & relating to others.

To head off any accusations of inverted snobbery, maybe I should add that my parents took out loans when I was a kid to send an older brother to a boarding music college, and while it definitely did his music good, in the short term at least I thought I could see ways in which he'd evolved within the confines of the boarding school, which (at times) weren't best suited to wider adult life in general, thankfully those quirks seem to have worked their way out of him now, perhaps helped by him not having gone there until he was in secondary school. The experiences of others may vary.

I don't think it's at all fair that the kind of musical education he got isn't available at most state schools, but that's for another thread.
Post edited at 00:12
 Sir Chasm 15 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Hmm, aah, mmm, calm down chaps, mmm, wiffwaff, let's not be too hasty.
OP aln 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> that's for another thread.

You got that right.
 Timmd 16 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Indeed.
 BigBrother 16 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Cameron warned that ww3 would follow if people voted for Brexit.
 Scarab9 16 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Or maybe less joking about Boris and some sympathy for the people who ve died?!!!
 summo 16 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Is a military coup not one of the EU's conditions for joining?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...