UKC

Belay Stake Anchors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Hy 17 Jul 2016
if i were to put a stake in the ground to be used as a belay anchor, (i am sourcing a couple from Forgetec) am i liable if anything were to happen? Btw. there is no natural protection within 20m from the edge and its not on grit!
 james1978 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

How would anybody know it was you who placed them?
 Morty 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:
If you are worried - take them out when you have finished.

Though to be fair, I'd expect anyone in their right mind to check the quality of any anchors they use before they use them.
Post edited at 19:19
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Morty:

> I'd expect anyone in their right mind to check the quality of any anchors they use before they use them.

How would they do that? Most people (including me) just give them a tug to make sure they're solid. But how do you know if the apparently solid stake is completely rusted away just under the surface (as happened a while ago at Laurencefield I believe)? Or if the stake that moves is actually several feet long, only moves due to boggy ground near the surface, and is actually perfectly safe?
 danm 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

You can make a pretty good assessment by looking at the general condition, and poke down under the surface if needs be to check for rust. Oh, and a bloody big kick. That works. Loads on stakes are pretty minimal, especially if you belay back from the edge.
In reply to Paul Hy:

Unless it says "Belay Anchor - please use for climbing" on it then it's just a stake in the ground...
 Phil Anderson 18 Jul 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

+1

You'd be more likely to get done if someone tripped over it and broke something.
 andrewmc 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:
If you put what looks like a solid belay stake in the ground, but you have comedically sawn almost through them just below ground level, I can't imagine that the law won't take an interest, but short of deliberately misleading people or doing something outrageously stupid I think you will be fine.
Post edited at 22:37
 andrewmc 18 Jul 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I suspect if you, as a climber, put a stake at the top of a climbing route that looked like a belay stake and was where you expected a stake to be, arguing it wasn't a belay stake in court might not hold up very well.
 wilkie14c 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

Same ethics as tat Matey
OP Paul Hy 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

thanks for replies, as i thought and i'd do the same by give it a good test (kicking) before depending on it.
 tev 20 Jul 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...