UKC

Cheshunt / Hertford places to train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 17 Jul 2016
I may be moving to the North of London for a while. I'm already concerned about the lack of climbing but if there is a good climbing wall/gym in the area then I can suffer it through the week and make trips out on the weekends.

Does anyone live in the area? Is there a good wall? I've seen mixed reviews online
 marsbar 17 Jul 2016
In reply to chris687:
There is a wall at Harlow which I've heard is good but not been myself. You are not that far from the Castle which is massive and has lots of everything. There is also outdoor fake bouldering at Fairlop Water.

I think there may be a wall at Hatfield too but I'm not sure.

If you fancy a change of activity the the white water Olympic course is very near.
Post edited at 20:12
OP chris687 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks, I'll go and have a look at the Castle next time I'm in the area
 Kevster 17 Jul 2016
In reply to chris687:

Mile End has a wall, which suits boulderers well, routes less so. But a good place for training. Castle likewise.
Harlow isn't great for getting strong, but it has enough routes for most for a few visits. If you climb mid 7s or above, sadly it isn't so well populated.
Milton Keynes has a reasonable facility.
There are a few other walls around, but no big flagship places.
 Tom Last 17 Jul 2016
In reply to chris687:
Hi.

I grew up in Cheshunt and lived there and Ware and worked in Hertford - many frustrating years as a climber.

Lea Valley Sailing Base (or whatever it's called now) on the marshes at the end of Windmill Lane in Cheshunt has a short but pretty decent outdoor wall. I used it a few times, better than nothing. Harlow's okay too as is The Castle, naturally.

Good luck!
Post edited at 21:01
 MB42 17 Jul 2016
In reply to chris687:

Lived in Cheshunt for a bit and the obvious places have been covered. Would also say as it is bang on the M25 it was only an hour drive to several of the Southern sandstone outcrops so doable on a sunny summer evening (when the Mway is clear). There is also the fairlop boulders half an hour away though I only went there once.
KevinD 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:
> I think there may be a wall at Hatfield too but I'm not sure.

Its at the university. Its small though. Gets boring fast.
One in St Albans as well although seems mostly aimed at introductory stuff. Then there is the hemel one which gets shit reviews (however if you like skiing or boarding the snowdome is supposed to be ok).
Better to run into London to the castle or one of the others. Biscuit factory is pretty easy tube trip
Post edited at 22:37
 marsbar 17 Jul 2016
In reply to KevinD:

I wasn't sure about tube, I don't live near a station so I usually drive. The castle does have some parking which I forgot to mention.
 Tom Last 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Yeah, quickest to drive (usually) to The Castle from Cheshunt down the A1055 past Tottenham Hale to Green Lanes, etc. Being on the north side of town, The Peak is actually within striking distance for an evening this time of year too.
Sounds ridiculous but when I lived in Ware, mkean (of this parish) and myself went to the Peak for the evening a couple of times. Knocking off work early at four, we'd share driving, get there (Ramshaw) by about seven, climb until about midnight then be home for three. It was cheaper than 2x returns to Manor House and 2x entry to The Castle as well! You have to be lucky with traffic mind you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...