UKC

What benefits to having a French passport?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 18 Jul 2016
Title says it all.
 broken spectre 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

Freedom to live and work anywhere in the EU post Brexit?
OP Indy 18 Jul 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Yup, that's the main reason but anything not obvious... Also any interesting countries you can visit without a visa.
 EwanR 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

The right to vote no matter how long you live outside of France.

The possibility to have French health insurance when living abroad ( https://www.cfe.fr )

I assume that with a French passport one also receives an ID card which is much smaller and more convenient for travelling in EU/UK/CH/NO.
abseil 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

Good bread, and cheese.
Bingers 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

How long before it regains the right to being conscripted into the French army?

We didn't consider that an option when we got one for each of our two.
In reply to Indy:

You get to support a decent football team and shout 'Allez!" at the climbing wall without people laughing, also you don't have to be governed by the Tories.
 Big Ger 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

You get to wear a striped jersey and a beret without people laughing at you.

You can watch a mime without reaching for an axe.
 Dauphin 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

Sac a dos filled with wine, beer and cheese and rather than kit.

D
 Trangia 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

You can shrug when confronted with virtually anything
 DerwentDiluted 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

If you are taken hostage somewhere, your negotiator in chief may not arouse the ire of your captors by calling them piccaninnies.
 Bob Hughes 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

You can live in Reunion. And France, for that matter.
 yorkshireman 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

You get to keep your existing one?

I'm British but we've been living in France for almost 5 years. We're seriously considering applying for French citizenship (which you can do after 5 years) in the wake of Brexit as being an EU/French national will just make life simpler. And France allows dual citizenship so I can still keep my UK passport which seems like a win/win.

I work for a French office of a multinational, and travel throughout Europe almost every week. Being in Schengen helps make this easier but since France is in a state of emergency the passport checks have been reinstated even within Schengen, and who knows how long the Schengen zone will continue to exist?

http://www.expatica.com/fr/visas-and-permits/A-guide-to-French-citizenship-...

mp3ferret 19 Jul 2016
In reply to abseil:

> Good bread, and cheese.

And cake - mustn't forget their lovely cakes .... mmmmmm ....
 drunken monkey 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

You can strike on a regular basis and p1ss off the rest of Europe with glee
Lusk 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Bingers:

> How long before it regains the right to being conscripted into the French army?

Good point. According to Wiki ... "President Jacques Chirac's government formally announced the end of compulsory military service[4] in 2001. Young people must still, however, register for possible obligatory service of an unspecified nature (should the need arise). A recent change is that women must now register as well."

I wouldn't want my kids to be "obliged" for service. You can keep your French passports.

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Although you might end up being governed by the NF
 99ster 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Good point. According to Wiki ... "President Jacques Chirac's government formally announced the end of compulsory military service[4] in 2001. Young people must still, however, register for possible obligatory service of an unspecified nature (should the need arise). A recent change is that women must now register as well."

> I wouldn't want my kids to be "obliged" for service. You can keep your French passports.

I remember a lad at school (going back many years ago!) who was born in Spain and had Spanish family, etc, etc... but had grown up in the UK. When he got to 18 or 19 he got called up for national service in the Spanish army. I don't know if they still do that now. But...you could well be right about France - the way it's going there who knows what might happen - they could very well re-instate national service.
 doz generale 19 Jul 2016
In reply to 99ster:

> I remember a lad at school (going back many years ago!) who was born in Spain and had Spanish family, etc, etc... but had grown up in the UK. When he got to 18 or 19 he got called up for national service in the Spanish army. I don't know if they still do that now. But...you could well be right about France - the way it's going there who knows what might happen - they could very well re-instate national service.

This happened to me. I'm dual spanish english and got called up at 19. Didnt have to do it in the end. It was easy to get out of.
 spotter1 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

discounted baguettes ?
 cander 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

If they give you a gun you can drop it and run away.
Removed User 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

If anyone asks if you are English you can say that you are French instead, using your passport as evidence.
 toad 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:
must be nice to have an aircraft carrier with actual aircraft
Post edited at 19:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...