UKC

Inflatable tandem canoe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 19 Jul 2016
Been looking at several of these tandem canoes so me and my daughter can go exploring over the holidays. Any idea on what I need to avoid. They are ranged between £59 and £300 and there seems to be little difference to the untrained eye.
 damowilk 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Dominicandave:

I can only comment on the Advanced Elements tandem: I've had it for 2 yrs, very happy with it. Mostly used for day trips, but one 4 day trip. Had pretty good reviews online.
 LastBoyScout 19 Jul 2016

Bought my Mum a cheap one on eBay last year for her birthday, somewhere around £60 - ideal for messing around on the beach, but wouldn't put much faith on durability.

Can't find the exact model we got on there now, but this was the one I was looking at originally - the price has come right down when I looked: item #272220480288

Otherwise, look at a 2nd hand Sevylor, or something, on eBay - they are much tougher, more durable and easier to paddle as they can be pumped up harder and the seats are better.

Decathlon usually have a few on display if you need some ideas.
 ebdon 19 Jul 2016

I've just got a sevaylor adventurer it's not the cheapest but seems pretty sturdy and well built. so far it has done very well on a few forays on the trent. Also very easy to chuck in a estate car half inflated and only takes 5 mins to pump up with a decent pump.

Decathlon?
 markk 19 Jul 2016

I'd highly recommend gumotex boats if your budget stretches that far: http://www.gumotex.co.uk/inflatable-boats
 Gone 19 Jul 2016
In reply to markk:

Agreed about the Gumotex. Lots of them last decades so if you see a second hand one it would be worth considering.

We started with one of the £80 cheapies which was fun for the kids but slow and saggy as well as delicate. More expensive are the Sevylor and similar boats with 'bladders' - these are hard wearing because the inflatable bladder is protected by a fabric cover. The snag with these is that they are a hassle to clean and dry as the water gets between the bladder and the cover - without drying they get heavy and can even go mouldy. The Gumotex boats are single skin but a very hard wearing material so you can launch them over rocks, inflate them to high pressure (better performance) and after a quick wipe down they can be put away. We have a Solar which will can be set up for tandem or solo. Above your budget though.
 Mal Grey 20 Jul 2016

Cheapies tend to be true rubbish - puncture/rip easily, paddle badly, valves/seams go. £250/300 minimum IMO, but you get what you pay for and the Gumotex are a cut above these. I had a Sevylor Colorado, wasn't bad at all (£300 ish). In common with all inflatables, it was slow, and affected by the wind. So beware currents and windy days, especially if you go in the sea.

0Unknown0 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mal Grey:

Interesting, I hadn't even considered this. We will not be in the sea, that is for sure, more so lakes and rivers, but learning that they are slower or harder to paddle I'm wondering if I could get a second hand rigid one that will go on the roof of the car. I hadn't considered them being draggy at all, but makes sense I suppose and I'm all for reducing workload.

Thanks for that.
 malk 21 Jul 2016

recently got the Intex Explorer K2 for £80. gets good reviews and seems pretty robust, although haven't been out on water yet..
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016
If you can then I think it's a better idea, you will get more for your money.

There is one on eBay that looks like it would be ok Ace Explorer 515

(I know nothing about the seller)
Post edited at 12:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...