UKC

The futility of this forum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 21 Jul 2016
The "stop playing music at the crag" thread nicely sums up the futility of this forum. People talking in circles over and over with people repeating the same point made by someone else. A number of people dropping in what they think are humerous comments and in the end absolutely no outcome.

A large number of threads are like this - completely pointless and soul draining.

Then there are the same threads repeated over and over and everyone saying the same thing but just in a different way.

There must be better things to do in life?

Offwidth 21 Jul 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Climb?
 La benya 21 Jul 2016

why don't you use the little X on the top of the internet browser then?
lostcat 21 Jul 2016

oh the irony.
 ChrisBrooke 21 Jul 2016

I suppose people are just trying to convince others to change their mind about a thing. It's how humans work. The oft-repeated claim that 'people never change the minds' is lazy and demonstrably false. Seeing someone change their mind in real time, in public, is as rare as a unicorn fart, but that doesn't mean that behind closed doors, in the middle of the night, in a sweat-drenched moment of clarity, someone can't slightly shift their position on something due to the persuasiveness of someone's argument, or the presentation of new data about something. And it may not be the person you argued on the internet with, but someone who simply lurked and took an interest in the conversation without participating.
This is an internet forum. People talk (type?) about things. Perv, participate, or piss off
 WaterMonkey 21 Jul 2016

Welcome to the internet
> .......people talking in circles over and over with people repeating the same point made by someone else........ dropping in what they think are humerous comments ........ absolutely no outcome.

I'm guessing you've never been to an area BMC meeting then
Post edited at 12:27
 Offwidth 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
BMC area meetings have led directly to plenty of positive changes on local access fronts, are a part of the BMC democratic input and are a good way for folk who care about access to meet and get involved.. .. maybe some discussions say on the Olympics fall into that category with debates thet sound like groundhog day but its unfair to tar the whole process with that brush.
Post edited at 12:41
 spartacus 21 Jul 2016

I think some of the threads and arguments and points made are quite interesting.

Communication via the internet is a strange medium though and completely unlike a face to face exchange. I think you need a thick skin and the ability to step back from what can be pointless repetition for the sake of the last word.
If you have explained a point a few times, then repeating it in stronger and stronger terms, then resorting to personal remarks seems common and pointless.
It seems to feed a need in some but could be unhealthy in certain personality types.
 GHawksworth 21 Jul 2016

boo hoo!

your point is?
 Bootrock 21 Jul 2016

I have been more annoyed at the numerous political/referendum threads people kept banging up purely for an ego boost.

Or the sarky answers, and hash repeats of sarky comments and pretentious remarks to people asking simple questions.

Or threads calling me a racist for interpreting something differently to someone else.

Don't mind a discussion about various related topics.
 Kermi 21 Jul 2016

My rating 2/10...
 RomTheBear 21 Jul 2016
Not really true, quite often I've learned new things on different topics on these forums. But yes you do need to cut through the 90% of it that's bullshit / ill-informed / racist, but that's called the intenet
Post edited at 15:31
 ThunderCat 21 Jul 2016

> A number of people dropping in what they think are humerous comments

And where's the arm in that?

(anyone? anyone?)
 jkarran 21 Jul 2016

> There must be better things to do in life?

And yet here you are creating a thread to moan about other people's threads...
jk
> and in the end absolutely no outcome.

If you're looking for things to be decided, agreed and acted upon as a result of discussions here, then the very best of luck to you. You may be here a while though.

> Then there are the same threads repeated over and over and everyone saying the same thing but just in a different way.

I look forward to saying all this again when you repost this under a different title...

T.
Post edited at 15:55
In reply to ThunderCat:

> And where's the arm in that?

> (anyone? anyone?)

Just sleeve it alone, will you?
 ThunderCat 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> Just sleeve it alone, will you?

I was waiting for you to say that. I bet it was on the tibia tongue, wasn't it.

edited to admit I messed that up and remembered it's a leg bone, not an arm bone.... bugger

Post edited at 16:13
0Unknown0 21 Jul 2016

I'm guessing that 99% of forum traffic is not people looking for advice or find information, and more so people online because they can, just a distraction from either work, lack of or just simply bored and looking to exercise the brain just a little bit more than they would if sleeping.

And so the general banter you get is repetitive, just as it is when you walk out into your back garden and see your neighbour every day and say how nice or bad the weather is. How you come across that slightly familiar person you bump into from time to time down the pub and have the same opinion on that one topic you know you share some sort of knowledge of. Opinion hasn't changed, infact while talking your mind is thinking 'I can't believe I'm having this same conversation, again, but it's banter, maybe he forgot we had this same conversation last xmas when we met'.

Regulars on forums these days consider the forum a part of their social life, time spent glancing over the threads to see if anything comes up where they have knowledge to share. Most people wold love original content, but there is only so much to discuss on the progress of a sport. And as for off topic discussions people generally have similar opinions either way on social and political topics, with the exception of those looking to be controversial. And so once it is covered and the same topic comes up again, usually after something heavy has gone down and brings things to the surface again, general opinion never changes, people just acknowledging something together.

There is loads of better things to do in life and people do these things also, but more so now than ever peoples minds never rest, they are plugged into their cyber scene as well as reality scene 24/7. And so this is not a sign people do not have lives outside of forums, more so that they can't handle down time any more. Down time these days is still being plugged into a cyber social scene. Just a sign of the times.
 DerwentDiluted 21 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I was waiting for you to say that. I bet it was on the tibia tongue, wasn't it.

> edited to admit I messed that up and remembered it's a leg bone, not an arm bone.... bugger

Well, it's within a short radius.
 althesin 21 Jul 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Stop it, its silly, no more funny bone puns.
In reply to althesin:

> Stop it, its silly, no more funny bone puns.

Why, are you going to give them stern (um) look, or something?
 hokkyokusei 21 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> edited to admit I messed that up and remembered it's a leg bone, not an arm bone.... bugger

An 'armless mistake.
 DerwentDiluted 21 Jul 2016
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Make no bones about it, we have proved the OP right. Any given post will degenerate into futile puns and circular irrelevance. Is nothing sacrum?
 mountainbagger 21 Jul 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Yep. I think we've given the OP the elbow. Or he's giving us the cold shoulder.
 Big Ger 21 Jul 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

You have to hand it to him.
 JEF 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> You have to hand it to him.

You've been fingered as exactly the type the OP meant.
I think it would be rather apt to try and keep this thread at number 1 for the rest of the year....

Big Ger 21 Jul 2016
In reply to NeilBoyd:

I'll try to shoulder that burden.
 althesin 21 Jul 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers

There must be a connection between these bones somewhere, what did the Lord say?
 DerwentDiluted 22 Jul 2016
In reply to althesin:

> In reply to TheDrunkenBakers

> There must be a connection between these bones somewhere, what did the Lord say?

A dry sense of humour. The puns are getting sinew-ous now.
 ThunderCat 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I'll try to shoulder that burden.

Is that a complete lie, or just a fib-ula?
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Is that a complete lie, or just a fib-ula?

Goodness, some great rib ticklers here. My pelvis is splitting.
 Phil Anderson 22 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Not another pun... Give it a wrist!
 spartacus 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:

The OP has taken the time and trouble to post on here and all people seem to want to do is make silly puns, it's not exactly Humerus is it? I mean have people Temporal lost their senses?
If a Femur people were sensible and not just giving out Rib(ings). I think it's just Pisiform Incus You're wondering.
Trolls should stay in the Cuboid and perhaps give the OP a break.
 DerwentDiluted 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:

> Not another pun... Give it a wrist!

Yes, scaphoid-ing the bottom of the barrel now, all attempts to restore propriety to this thread are ulna and void.
 Bobling 22 Jul 2016

Good effoot everyone.
In reply to Bobling:

Phalanx you.
 ThunderCat 22 Jul 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Knee bother!
We do kneed more threads like this...

Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2016

Plenty of knee jerk reactions and ribbing going on here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...