UKC

Mrs Weston R.I.P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pedro50 21 Jul 2016
Its is reported that Mrs Weston of the Bosherston cafe has passed away. Sad News.

"The thin ones go climbing, the fat ones go walking" Her succinct summary of her clientele.
In reply to Pedro50:

One of the climbing cafe legends. RIP Ma Weston.

T.
 jon 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

RIP indeed. She was a permanent and welcoming presence during the many years I climbed in Pembroke. Climbers will undoubtedly be worse off for her passing.
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Sad to hear that. Had lovely tea and cake there on my first trip away with Mr marsbar. It was like being in my grandma's house, in a good way.
 3leggeddog 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Sad news, I hope her staff recruitment criteria will be maintained.
 Dave Garnett 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Truly the end of an era. I can just imagine her offering Ken Wilson 'beans on toast and egg on toast' now.

In reply to Dave Garnett: Indeed. That'll be a single egg on a single slice of white bread/just enough beans to cover a single slice. I liked her nieces & I was always impressed by the low standards she maintained to the very end. Squirty cream with your cream tea, vicar?

andy 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:
"Beans on toast, egg on toast, cheese on toast or ANY combination of the above".

Top.
Andy Gamisou 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Only ever been to Pemboke once (so far) but made sure we went to Ma Weston's. Better even than the Grindleford. Nicer scones certainly. Have to love an activity where cafes hold such countenance with their community. God bless you Mrs Weston, MBE.
 andy 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Have to love an activity where cafes hold such countenance with their community. God bless you Mrs Weston, MBE.

Climbers probably only second to cyclists in their cafe knowledge.

OP Pedro50 21 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

The unexpected arrival of a coach load of pensioners necessitating the immediate application of a fourth layer of bright red lipstick. A true trouper
 Steve Clegg 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> the immediate application of a fourth layer of bright red lipstick

Where's Nigel Preston when you need him??
Steve

OP Pedro50 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Steve Clegg:

I know I said the same to Stuart this morning.

"I put a teacake under the grill, bit I've burnt it, so I'll have to do another one"

"I don't do bacon see I do ham"
 Goucho 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> Its is reported that Mrs Weston of the Bosherston cafe has passed away. Sad News.

> "The thin ones go climbing, the fat ones go walking" Her succinct summary of her clientele.

Exactly how old was she?
 Mick Ward 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Goucho, please... she was a lady.

Mick
 Tony & Sarah 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Sad news and a major loss to South Wales climbing.

Tony & Sarah
 Goucho 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Goucho, please... she was a lady.

> Mick

A very lovely one too
 Goucho 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Steve Clegg:

> Steve

Thanks Steve.

A good innings and a happy life.
 Sean Kelly 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Goucho:
> Exactly how old was she?
94?

Big Ger 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Sad news indeed.
 Chris_Mellor 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Personally I think topics like this on the UKclimbing forum are great. Ma Weston was a character and then some. Here's to a good life well-lived.
 John2 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris_Mellor:
I have many great memories of Mrs Weston such as her celebration of the Queen's silver jubilee by serving iced buns with ER written in red icing in the middle of the white icing. But of course her most remarkable quality was her incredible memory for her customers, whom she would greet after not having seen them for several years as if she had seen them the day before.

Bosherston will never be the same.
Post edited at 09:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...