UKC

Loose Block at Crookrise - Walkers Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve_90 24 Jul 2016
CrookriseWalker's Wall (HVS 5a)

I lead Walkers Wall yesterday at Crookrise, but before committing to the final move, traversed left which is a variant finish. Just beneath the roof is a big loose block. I found this out by putting my full weight behind and when it did move a good few inches, fortunately didn't pull it out on to my belayer beneath. Hopefully, people that go to Crookrise will see this message as if that block hits someone, it's not going to be good.
 Mark Bull 24 Jul 2016
In reply to stickonthewall:

Thanks for posting the warning - if you added it to your logbook entry it would be a bit more permanently visible!
 nigel baker 25 Jul 2016

Why didn't you remove the dangerous block after the climb if you are so concerned?
OP Steve_90 29 Jul 2016
In reply to nigel baker:

I thought I was doing a favour by posting on UKC and my logbook. I didn't particularly want to remove it and disturb other stuff around let alone let a big block smash near my belayer. You can always go remove if you're so concerned about removing it?
 nigel baker 29 Jul 2016

If you are already there what you do is, abseil over after doing the climb and remove said block.
Perhaps as climbers we should all be concerned, not every climber is going to read your posting.
 1poundSOCKS 29 Jul 2016
In reply to nigel baker:

> Why didn't you remove the dangerous block after the climb if you are so concerned?

There's no need to be so rude, whatever your concerns.
OP Steve_90 30 Jul 2016
In reply to nigel baker:
Nigel,

The way I see it is over 100 people have seen this post. If have prevented at least 1 accident from this post then I'm happy. I didn't have put a post on but thought I was been helpful. I'm not going to continue to reply to your elitist comments. The offer is still there because you sound mighty concerned so please feel free to go remove the block by any methods you have recommended. I'm sorry to have caused trouble for posting what I thought was to be helpful. I shall not bother next time if this is how a fellow climber reacts to what I thought was a good gesture.
Post edited at 21:11
 Timmd 30 Jul 2016

There's always pernickerty people about, thanks for posting the thread. Is it in your logbook entry too?
OP Steve_90 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Hi. Yes I have added to my logbook too to hopefully help.

Thank you.
 David_Gledson 30 Jul 2016
Cheers for the warning stickonthewall,

Sure it won't reach everyone but trad climbing is about assessing risk for yourself.

I think we should encourage posting anything we think might help our any climber, rather than questioning. Any questioning might lead to people not posting and that would surely be a worse position.

Cheers

David
Post edited at 22:49
 Timmd 30 Jul 2016
In reply to David_Gledson:

> Cheers for the warning stickonthewall,
> Sure it won't reach everyone but trad climbing is about assessing risk for yourself.
> I think we should encourage posting anything we think might help our any climber, rather than questioning. Any questioning might lead to people not posting and that would surely be a worse position.

I fully agree.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...