UKC

Any news on the Android Rockfax App?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john morrissey 25 Jul 2016
As in the title really.
 Glyn 27 Jul 2016
In reply to john morrissey:

Im also wondering that
 zimpara 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Glyn:

I'm wondering the same thing.
In reply to john morrissey:
Just noticed this thread.

Sorry about the delays. It's extremely hard to put a time frame on these things.

The way we render the topo on Android is completely different to how we do it on iOS, so its been another adventure of discovery (and grief) as we have build this. Generally the rest of the app has been coming along as expected without too many issues.

This week has probably been the 4th time I have had to revisit the topo for numerous issues during development. This time its been to sort out a massive memory leak that built up over time after viewing many topos. The fix for this has been very complex and has forced a different approach to rendering the on the device. We have sorted the memory issue, refined the way we render the topo, we are just working on making the rendering process slightly faster and I think we have it nailed.

If you want to email me I'll add you to a list of folks that I will be contacting about beta testing the app shortly before we launch it.

Any other questions just fire me an email.
Post edited at 12:00
 planetmarshall 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Probably a bit late now to suggest a cross-platform approach like Qt mobile or Xamarin.

Maybe for version 2.0
In reply to planetmarshall:

It's an interesting point Andrew. Don't quote me on this, as I wasn't around when the project started, but I think these options were considered and it was decided that a native app was the way forward for performance reasons.

I've never used the likes of Xamarin, although I've heard of it of course. I have a feeling though if we did go down the road of using something like this though we would have hit the exact same problem with the Android topo view. Would this have made it harder to then build an alternative implementation of the topo view on Andoird? That's something I don't know but I'd be interested in finding out if you know.

The original way we implemented the topo on Android was the same as on the iOS devices, but performances was literally diabolical. I'd go into more details but it would probably bore people to tears. The good news is since my last post on this thread that has been put to bed and things are moving forward.
 zimpara 03 Aug 2016

Moving forward at what rate of knots please?
 humptydumpty 03 Aug 2016

> The original way we implemented the topo on Android was the same as on the iOS devices, but performances was literally diabolical. I'd go into more details but it would probably bore people to tears. The good news is since my last post on this thread that has been put to bed and things are moving forward.

Actually sounds quite interesting, if you ever have time to write it up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...