UKC

Conditions in N Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Baxter 28 Jul 2016
I'm heading to Snowdonia at the weekend, hoping to get some long mountain routes done, e.g. Longlands/Red Wall, - as part of getting some practice in before heading off to the Pyrenees. Looking at the forecast - it's raining today and 'patchy' tomorrow. Can anyone with local knowledge/experience offer an opinion on how likely it is to be in a reasonable condition by Saturday, or should I be looking for lower/better orientated crags and coming up with a serious plan 'b'?
 GrahamD 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Baxter:

Hi Paul, Forecast is looking OK for the weekend, and it's not always dry in the Pyrenees in any case !
 Justin T 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Baxter:

Hi Paul ... Well we're currently hunkering in van at Eric's having given up on cragging in the pass, it was dryish at the start of the week but has rained a lot last couple of days. We climbed at Tremadog yesterday but it's currently piss wet having hammered it down last night and on and off this morning.

If you like a bit of big boot mud gully action you'll be fine, but I can't see much drying out with forecast as it is. We're contemplating heading elsewhere...

Good luck!
OP Paul Baxter 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Justin T:

That's what I was afraid of. It looks like it'll be OK by the weekend, but if it's that wet now I may have pack the big boots and steam up a long V Diff or something.
In reply to Justin T:
Shiiiiit!

You been to Gogarth Justin? Forecast looks OK from midday tomorrow so would imagine (hope) there will be dry stuff to climb somewhere...
Post edited at 11:17
Removed User 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Justin T:

NW as far as liverpool is soaked as well, still raining even now. Just FYI.
 Ramblin dave 28 Jul 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> Hi Paul, Forecast is looking OK for the weekend, and it's not always dry in the Pyrenees in any case !

Yeah, but there's "OK" and there's "what a perfect time to head for a big high vegetated North-facing crag that's famously nasty when it's wet"...
 GrahamD 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Yeah, but there's "OK" and there's "what a perfect time to head for a big high vegetated North-facing crag that's famously nasty when it's wet"...

True enough, but I suspect Paul understands my approach to climbing well enough to take any advice at the appropriate value
 Justin T 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

We haven't been up to gogarth, should be a better bet generally but was checking the rain radar yesterday and I think everywhere was getting hit in waves. Currently drizzle in the pass and has been all night/morning, Jerry's roof is dry and some of the quick drying slate was ok in a dry spell yesterday eve but all the pass crags are soaked now I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...