UKC

How accurate is MWIS these days?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 29 Jul 2016
I'm missing the Scottish mountain crags, and every time I get some time to get away MWIS puts me off with promises of 'near constant precipitation' and other such pessimistic statements. When I look at BBC weather etc it looks far far better, but the MWIS forecast puts enough doubt in my mind to not bother with a long drive and walk in to get to a lovely mountain crag.

Is MWIS reliable, or are they seriosuly pessimistic? In winter it usually seems fairly good, but in summer they never seem to have much positive to say. Am I paying too much attention to it and should ignore it?
 Andy Say 29 Jul 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

I've always found BBC a tad pessimistic as well; fallout from the Michael Fish 'no storms predicted'?

I've downloaded the Accuweather app on my phone (which uses location and weather video) and after several times having a fit of sniggering at its forecast of 'rain ceasing in 7 minutes in your location' or 'rain in 12 minutes in your location' I am actually now a convert.

Its less good for long term stuff though - far too optimistic!
 Alpenglow 29 Jul 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

I've found yr.no to be pretty accurate
 Brass Nipples 29 Jul 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

About 55% at 3 days out.

pebbles 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Alpenglow:

cross check yr.no and the met office/mwis. If they all agree it looks fairly definate. If they vary it means everyone's taking their best guess so go optimistic (usually yr.no) or pessimistic (usually mwis) according to your inclination.
 top cat 29 Jul 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

Unless I'm working I tend not to bother with the weather................prepare for everything and just get on with it, sometimes with a plan B or a mini epic if sticking to plan A.

You can certainly live in interesting times that way, but it's all part of the fun / challenge.
 scope 29 Jul 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

Geoff Monk is the bomb!
 spenser 30 Jul 2016
In reply to pebbles:

As a rule of thumb I've found that Yr slightly over predicts rain (often saying it may rain but it may not), MWIS over predicts wind, BBC is generally pessimistic.
For what it's worth I use Yr.no in the mountains/ hills and BBC's weather map for deciding if I want a jacket to cycle to work (or indeed a glance out of the window).
In reply to NottsRich:

If you like animations look at windyty.
Will let you look at wind/rain patterns across the whole of e.g. Scotland so you can see at a glance if any areas are better than others.
 wbo 30 Jul 2016
In reply to NottsRich: oddly for the last few months I've found Yr to be rather inaccurate for anything more than a couple of hours ahead. There is, for Norway also storm.no so I'm using that too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...