UKC

Rio Olympics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 02 Aug 2016

Is it just me or are others struggling to build up any enthusiasm for the up coming Olympics?

The Russian doping scandal is probably at the heart of it , but as each Olympic games host country tries to outdo it's predecessor I have been feeling that the whole thing has just become a circus.
Post edited at 12:40
 Babika 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I'm excited.

Paralympics as well, although its unlikely to beat London on the Richter scale of my excitement.....

Optimism is a wonderful thing
 tony 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I'm looking forward to the athletics - I reckon there will be some very good events there - and to the rowing and cycling. I feel desperately sorry for the sailors and triathletes and open-water swimmers who are going to be competing in what sounds like an open sewer.

But you're right, there is a fairly tawdry side to it, and it's hard to believe the money spent has been the best use of money in Rio.
Graeme G 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Is it just me or are others struggling to build up any enthusiasm for the up coming Olympics?

Is there an Olympics again this year? Oh bollocks. Here's hoping Sky doesn't let me down with loads of decent films so as to avoid them. If i hear anyone say anything about 'legacy' i swear to god i'll..........

Chris Harris 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

The only thing I'm looking forward to is "The Last Leg" on Channel 4.
 Robert Durran 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Is there an Olympics again this year?

Yes, and they will be brilliant. It's the Olympics, and they always are despite the cynicism (Remember London?). There will be moments of sporting brilliance and drama which people still be watching and talking about in fifty years time - it's the Olympics FFS!

> If I hear anyone say anything about 'legacy' I swear to god I'll..........

Me too. They'll be the ones who, when they throw a party, measure its success by how many half drunk bottles of wine which people brought are left at the end.

GrahamD 02 Aug 2016
In reply to tony:

> I'm looking forward to the athletics - I reckon there will be some very good events there - and to the rowing and cycling. I feel desperately sorry for the sailors and triathletes and open-water swimmers who are going to be competing in what sounds like an open sewer.

Its not that bad, apparently, according to the Team GB competitors that have already trained there. Just not up to EU levels of water cleanliness.
 Shani 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Mens & Womens Rugby 7s, 100m, 1500m - loads of great moments await us! I can't wait.
 kathrync 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I am always excited by the gymnastics anyway, and team GB have been on good form the last couple of years. I also generally like having some less mainstream sports on mainstream tv for a couple of weeks.

Having been in Rio recently, I don't think things are as bad as the press have made them out to be, although I do agree that the money spent could probably have been better used elsewhere in Rio.
 toad 02 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016-water-pollution-virus-...

this (and similar reports elsewhere) suggest it's little more serious.
Graeme G 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
> Yes, and they will be brilliant. It's the Olympics, and they always are despite the cynicism (Remember London?). There will be moments of sporting brilliance and drama which people still be watching and talking about in fifty years time - it's the Olympics FFS!

Ok. I'll bite.

Yes, i remember London. It was as the Olympics ever is, as boring as f*ck. A bunch of self interested people pretending to participate in the name of 'national pride'. Bollocks.

Are people still talking about London 2012? Did anything of note happen? No-one I know could possibly tell me a single thing. I watched the opening ceremony - not exactly something you'd want to buy the DVD and repeat watching.

Now England winning the world cup in 1966....will we ever hear the end???

Don't get your wine analogy, sorry.
Post edited at 13:35
 Chris the Tall 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Yep, looking forward to it. Quite happy when we get sport on TV, rather than the usual drivel of reality shows, talent shows and stuff that glamorizes guns and cars.

Cycling and Athletics being the main interest

Yep, some issue with Rio as a host city, particularly so soon after the World Cup. Would the money be better spent elsewhere, or do we believe in trickledown economics ?

And yes, Russia is a big problem and there is no simple solution. Pity that we won't know the names of those caught in recent re-tests till after the games, but people have a right to defend themselves.

No doubt if Lizzie Armitstead wins gold she'll be treated with as much cynicism as any Rusian, c'est la vie.
baron 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:
The whole doping thing spoils many sports events for me. When you have a British cyclist missing 2 (3) drugs tests in a year but still being able to compete is it any wonder that many people are becoming cynical and less interested
 tony 02 Aug 2016

> Are people still talking about London 2012? Did anything of note happen?

Mo Farah, Jess Ennis, Greg Rutherford, all winning within a few hours of each other, and Mo Farah doubling up a week later in the 5k. Chris Hoy winning his 6th Olympic gold, Bradley Wiggins winning his 7th Olympic gold.

Are you sure you were paying attention?
> Yes, I remember London. It was as the Olympics ever is, as boring as f*ck. A bunch of self interested people pretending to participate in the name of 'national pride'. Bollocks.

Depends how you look at it. I saw the biggest party on earth bringing the whole nation (apart from a few diehard cynics) together for a magical few days.

> Are people still talking about London 2012? Did anything of note happen?

Radisha's 800m world record was one of the greatest Olympics feats ever and the trio of British athletics golds in one day was unprecedented and those present described the atmosphere as utterly amazing and transcendent. etc. etc.

> I watched the opening ceremony - not exactly something you'd want to buy the DVD and repeat watching.

I missed it and got the DVD - amazing. Last week I saw a brilliant documentary on TV about the planning and rehearsals with thousands of ordinary people as volunteers; clearly an extraordinary experience which really brought people together. I think I might watch the DVD again.

> Don't get your wine analogy, sorry.

The Olympics is basically a global party which, whatever you cynics say, does just a little bit to bring the world together for a couple of weeks. It's success shouldn't be measured in "legacy".
Post edited at 14:13
baron 02 Aug 2016
I like the idea of bringing the world together but does it have to be so expensive? Didn't London cost about 9 billion.
That's a lot of money!
 DerwentDiluted 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

They should have the amphetolympics, a free for all on substances. Watch FloJo do the 200m in about 6 seconds, pausing only to be defibrilated. Watch Lance Armstrong cycle 500miles non stop, impeded only by his towed transfusion device and associated cannulea. Thrill to the sight of the hammer being thrown by a tank on steroids from unpronouncizstan. Duck as some whizzed up kid pole vaults out of the stadium. Laugh heartily as Oscar Pistorious breaks new ground with the summer biathlon, hitting a toilet door at 10yds while imbibing laudenum.

At least you'd know for sure the athletes were doped, rather than the current situation of slur, innuendo and suspicion.
In reply to baron:

> I like the idea of bringing the world together but does it have to be so expensive? Didn't London cost about 9 billion.

> That's a lot of money!

I agree to an extent, but I wouldn't like it to be done too much on the cheap. I actually quite like the idea of a fixed venue on neutral ground within Greece with countries contributing according to their means and maybe different countries taking turns to do the actual organising.

Rampikino 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

In 2012 we made it to a number of Olympic events; football, badminton, handball, boxing...

We were on the Olympic Park for one of the days and I have to say that it was one of the most incredible feel-good things I have ever been a part of. The security was slick and fast, the queues were almost non-existent, the transportation was smooth and we came away with memories that will last a lifetime.

Watching the events on TV filled us with enormous pride. All of the bitching and whining proved to be sour grapes. Yes, something happened, not least Mo, Bolt, Jess Ennis, Hannah Cockroft, the cyclists, the rowers, the sailors, the boxers, the gymnasts.

Our own legacy is that we are now more active - I am running 4-5 times per week and have just gone sub 40:00 for the 10k. The missus has entered her first ever triathlon. We have even got our little girl into a bit of running and she has won her own medals.

More...

As a result of London we spent money on a trip to the Commonwealth Games and were rewarded with tickets for the 100m final (Gemili coming a close second...) which was inspirational, especially as it mixed the able-bodied and para athletes together. We saw a wonderful spirit between all of the spectators and especially the competitors - particularly the home nations.

More...

Yesterday we bid for our tickets for the World Athletics Championships in London 2017 - we will be taking the kids and hopefully enjoying a few sessions of athletics and para athletics in that magnificent stadium.

Legacy? You bet. I'm just praying that the rumours are true and that Liverpool will bid for a future Commonwealth Games.
Graeme G 02 Aug 2016
In reply to tony:

> Mo Farah, Jess Ennis, Greg Rutherford, all winning within a few hours of each other, and Mo Farah doubling up a week later in the 5k. Chris Hoy winning his 6th Olympic gold, Bradley Wiggins winning his 7th Olympic gold.

> Are you sure you were paying attention?

So a bunch of people won. Isn't that what happens when you have a race? Why is that of note?
 tony 02 Aug 2016

To paraphrase Satchmo, if you've got to ask the question, you're not going to understand the answer.
Graeme G 02 Aug 2016

> Depends how you look at it. I saw the biggest party on earth bringing the whole nation (apart from a few diehard cynics) together for a magical few days.

Re: volunteers you note below - suckers used as free labour to run a corporate profit making event?

> those present described the atmosphere as utterly amazing and transcendent. etc. etc.

Achievable a lot cheaper with a van load of weed

> The Olympics is basically a global party which, whatever you cynics say, does just a little bit to bring the world together for a couple of weeks.

Alternatively it's an opportunity for rich countries to show how much they can humilitate poor countries by saying - oh look how great we are. We've invited you to the party, but basically we'll win everything. It's also an oportunity to cause divisions such as those caused by excluding Russia.

As you say, depends how you look at it. Unfortunately i'll be forced to look as they always sandwich the fecking sport between the real news and the weather - bastards!

Graeme G 02 Aug 2016
In reply to tony:

> To paraphrase Satchmo, if you've got to ask the question, you're not going to understand the answer.

I know. But i like watching them trying to explain

My biggest wish for the Olympics is that the tedious cynics would just shut the f*** up for a couple of weeks and let the rest of us enjoy it.

Graeme G 02 Aug 2016

> My biggest wish for the Olympics is that the tedious cynics would just shut the f*** up for a couple of weeks and let the rest of us enjoy it.

Please do. But the OP did ask if i was looking forward to it. Seemed only fair to be honest with him, and everyone else.
 toad 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:
I went to the mountain biking. It was a really good day, but The best part of the weekend was the Saturday before we went when we went for a big walk out onto the Essex coast. It was lonely and atmospheric and I wouldn't have believed I was in Essex and so close to the capital. Yes, the sport was a hoot and it was great to be part of the Event, but those few hours above the mudflats with the combines away in the distance were much better, and I didn't have to enter some ridiculous lottery to go there

> So a bunch of people won. Isn't that what happens when you have a race? Why is that of note?

I actually find that a genuinely interesting question. I think that a sporting event somehow hoists itself up by its own bootlaces; if nobody cared who won, it would be pointless and it only has a point because people care who wins. It's a rather wonderful cultural phenomenon. And one we should celebrate - which we do, especially gloriously with the Olympics.
Graeme G 02 Aug 2016

> I actually find that a genuinely interesting question. I think that a sporting event somehow hoists itself up by its own bootlaces; if nobody cared who won, it would be pointless and it only has a point because SOME people care who wins. It's a rather wonderful cultural phenomenon. And one we should celebrate - which we do, especially gloriously with the Olympics.

Fixed that for you. Never understood competitions. Why the need to beat someone else to prove you're better than them? Don't get it, never will.
OP Trangia 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks all. That's a pleasant surprise, I shall endeavour to try and be more positive, and get involved in watching the sports I like seeing.
 The New NickB 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I love the Olympics, always have. I've always made an effort to watch as much as I can. Athletics is my thing, but I will take an interest in most things.

I've got to admit that, for some reason I'm struggling to understand, possibly a dislike of samba and golf, I not as excited about this Olympics as the eight previous Summer Olympics that I remember.

I'll be in Barcelona on Friday, so I might visit the Olympic stadium as a bit of a homage to one of my favourite Summer Olympics.

I'll be back in the country for the start of the Athletics.
 andy 02 Aug 2016
In reply to tony:

> Chris Hoy winning his 6th Olympic gold, Bradley Wiggins winning his 7th Olympic gold.

> Are you sure you were paying attention?

It was Wiggo's 7th medal, not gold, wasn't it? Not being a pedantic git, but read an article today about Laura Trott and apparently Jason Kenny could match Hoy as the most golds if he won three more this time - think Wiggo has four, with two bronze and a silver.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...