UKC

Achilles tendon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dr_botnik 02 Aug 2016
I have developed a pain at the base of my achilles, Googled it a bit and found the heel drop excersises recommended for achilles tendonosis. Anybody else had similar? Did you carry on running and did this agrevate it or no?
I only run about 10-15 miles per week, just started cycling a bit more and occasionally skip. I'm thinking of knocking the running on the head for a bit to let it heal (cycling/skipping too), but I don't think I can go 6 months without going insane?!? Any tips/advice greatly appreciated
 somethingelse 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

I had sore Achilles tendons when I was running a lot. Physio reckoned it was a result of muscle imbalance and weak hips, said he was surprised I didn't have knee pain too. I run less now (the same or maybe a little less than you), tendons don't give me any problems as a result, but I do get knee pain if I run too far quickly. A big thing that helps, and would probably have helped my tendon issue at the time, is stretching before bed and keeping muscles loose with massage. I bought a book healthy running step by step after it was recommended on here and do the stretches before bed routine and get the occasional sports massage if there's a long run or race I want to do. Somebody will be along soon to say you should really see a physio, and it's no doubt good advice, but it's expensive and doesn't give you anything to do in the meantime. I found tendonitis really painful and frustrating, so hope you find something that works for you. Thought I'd share what has worked for me a little
 JamButty 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

Bit concerned on replying as I don't want to depress you, but don't keep running. You need to find out why its started to happen. Check your shoes, gait analysis, have you stepped up your distance etc. Mine was a combination of all of these.
I'd see a physio, and you shouldn't start exercising an injury immediately.
Good you seem to be acting on it early as if not managed it can be a very long recovery.

Good luck
 Antony Mariani 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:
I've had persistent achilles pain from running. Getting the balance right between rest and running enough to get a positive healing/strengthening cycle, was really difficult. Running short distances, slowly, minimum of 2 days rest between runs and on smooth surfaces and slowly building distance, speed and intensity to eventually (well down the line) doing sprint intervals, worked for me over many months, without completely stopping.

Also after physio sessions did the following:

Regular stretching am and pm(whilst cleaning teeth!). Yoga down dog very good as well as standard calf stretches.

Calf massage (physio then self massage using roller, various balls etc, including rolling sole of foot below heel on a spikey massage ball). Knee cap of other leg whilst sitting cross legged watching TV works surprisingly well!

Progressive strengthening - eccentric heal drops two legs, one leg supporting weight, one leg no supporting. Same progression with hopping on the spot and eventually hopping backward and forward. High reps before move on. I've not needed to do weighted versions of these, but that could be a next progression I guess.

Hope some of that helps as I understand your frustration!
Post edited at 14:55
 kipman725 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

I injured mine to the point of not been able to walk a few months ago and have been able to fix them to the point that I can run 10k or so before they start to ache. I tried exercises but they only made the injury worse, what made a dramatic difference was stretching them using a night splint boot thingy and avoiding walking and cycling using the middle of my foot (which was obviously bad for my knees but I needed some way of getting places). I found that if I didn't use the splint my feet would point down while sleeping/at my desk which compresses the tendon and causes it to be too short and then get re-injured when used. I gradually re-introduced normal cycling after 3 weeks and after 3 months I was able to run again short distances, I then went to the alps and did a few north faces where I felt some aching but nothing too bad. Now I am ramping up my running distance gradually to what I used to do which was about 2/3 hr runs twice a week.
Rigid Raider 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

Why do people insist on running around when God gave Mankind the brains with which to invent and ride bicycles?

Ibuprofen gel is remarkably effective for joint and tendon pain, even though I find it hard to believe that a molecule can be so readily absorbed through the skin.
 LittleRob 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

I'm going through a similar experience. My Achilles got gradually worse over a period of about 5 years until I stopped running in June 2015 (having not run that much in any case that year). In Jan this year I saw some runners out doing a trail marathon that I myself had done in 2010, 2012, and 2014 (it only runs every other year) and I was spurred into action.

I visited a local sports physio and did the whole heel-drop, back to running thing. I also got fitted with orthotic shoe inserts to correct a bit of over-pronation. I started with 1 minute run + 1 minute walk *5 and gradually got better until I was running for 40 minutes.

Then I had a set-back, and went back to smaller distances, got gradually better again, and was doing Parkrun and occasional 6 mile runs (at ~ 9min/mile pace) all off-road.

However, I'm now more broken than ever, as the point where my Achilles inserts into my heel (The Calcaneaous) is inflamed and exceedingly painful. I think its "retro-calcaneal bursitis", and its a real pain (in all senses of the word).

So no running now for about 5 weeks, and some different leg exercises to try to sort out my legs. In the mean-time I find that Road-biking (in SPD-SL cleats) is fine, but MTB (I generally use flat pedals (DMRs) can be an irritant.

So, its been a real struggle, and I'm currently not very far forward. On the plus side I've ridden a lot more, and I'm actually lighter than I've been for 14 years.

Rob
 SouthernSteve 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Ibuprofen gel may delay healing, ice would be better for pain relief
Rigid Raider 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

Seriously though, I'm 60 and fitter than I've ever been in my life thanks to having mountain biked for 21 years then road biked for the last 6 years. I have absolutely no interest at all in running, which holds no joy for me as it jerks my body and makes my joints ache. I have no long-term injuries. At all. Nothing. Nada. Rien.
 SteveM 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Antony Mariani:

Everything Anthony said, and keep doing it! I keep forgetting, it hurts so I start again and it hurts less. And then I forget again...
 Ridge 02 Aug 2016
In reply to SteveM:

> Everything Anthony said, and keep doing it! I keep forgetting, it hurts so I start again and it hurts less. And then I forget again...

That's the problem! I'm the same "Everything's fine, no need for all those exercises....oww...hurty achilles...why didn't I keep doing what the nice physio lady said?"
 wbo 02 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik: from the op, to paraphrase: - I've been running a bit. Now I've added some cycling and suddenly my tendon hurts'.

So cut out the cycling, or figure out what's working over the tendon. Increased calf bulk? Decreased calf flexibility? I think saddle too high can cause this too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...