UKC

What kit isn't but should be reviewed at UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 02 Aug 2016
Bit on belay but....

My vote would be flasks! A hot brew, right size for a day out, no bloody leaks no matter which way up, tough and with a cup that sticks on well.

Other ideas for what would make must read reviewing?
 BrendanO 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Biscuits?

(Ginger nuts for trad, Jaffa Cakes for bouldering I reckon. Dunno about sport, gels and £lif bars if u can afford?)
OP flopsicle 02 Aug 2016
In reply to BrendanO:

B and M Bargains don't do these anymore but...

http://snackspot.org.uk/images/merbaRainbowCookies.jpg
 hokkyokusei 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> B and M Bargains don't do these anymore but...

Aldi Disco Biscuits (no, really, that's what they're called) may be a reasonable subsititute:
http://b0.img.mobypicture.com/4090bae13055518eaef520a2d991690a_view.jpg
 EddInaBox 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Portaledges that work well under bridges.

And goat repellents!
In reply to flopsicle:

Well, I would like to see stuff from companies other than advertisers.

I can understand why it doesn't appear, since advertising pays for the site, but...
 bouldery bits 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> B and M Bargains don't do these anymore but...

'Even the kids like 'em' - what a strap line!
 jonnie3430 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Decathlon stuff?
 GrahamD 02 Aug 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Decathlon stuff?

Plus Regatta, Gelert etc etc. There is a lot of functional kit out there which does a good enough job at way under the odds compared to the 'brands'
OP flopsicle 02 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

And they often do more to cater for kids.
 wbo 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle: as someone whos written before (not here) are you volunteering?

Morty 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Armchairs.
 Morty 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

shovels
wicker picnic baskets
investment options
dating websites
diesel estates
wireless remote thermometers (that could be placed at places like Kinder Downfall for example)
a review of the best online logbooks to find out which is the most effective to identify ascents on grit
creams for bedsores
cyber addiction helplines
cognitive behavioural therapists
OP flopsicle 02 Aug 2016
In reply to wbo:

I can't think of any review I've written - but may I formally volunteer to review all biscuits and flasks sent to me.
 johncook 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Climbers who punt for partners on here and various other 'meet a climbing partner' sites.
They all advertise themselves as competent belayers and able to climb X grade. Until you get them to the wall or crag (always get them to a wall first and find the truth!) where they once managed the grade with a huge amount of tension and several rests, and they often can't figure out how to thread a belay device, let alone use it!
I may have been very unlucky, but fortunately have always taken them out when I have had others with me to watch their efforts. (With a new person I usually lead a route I would normally solo, just to see what they are really like with the rope!)
 wbo 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:
The flasks one is not ridiculous ( I like Stanley but the handles fall off)

What are criteria for rating cakes and biscuits . Seriously, write it
OP flopsicle 02 Aug 2016
In reply to wbo:

Well biscuits weren't my idea but if I was going to rate them it would be for:
Popularity, for belayer, lead climber bribery purposes.
Toughness, in case they end up under the rack.
Temperature durability, don't turn to concrete cold or squidge when warm.
Rewardiness, would they be 'enough' incentive to leave the ledge?
Last of all nutrition - can they fill the gap left by the sandwiches you didn't get up in time to make?
 aln 02 Aug 2016
In reply to hokkyokusei:

They're fakes, look nothing like the disco biscuits I ate back in the early 90's...
 Brass Nipples 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Buffalo undies
 Rob Exile Ward 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Flasks!!!??? I don't like to be rude, (no, really) but there was an edition of Trail, or Country Walking, or something, that had an editorial criticising the consumerism that is engulfing outdoor activities ... and the same edition had a six page feature reviewing bl**dy flasks!

FFS. Really, if you can't pick up different flasks and judge the efficacy and cost/benefit analysis of the different brands, without a London journo telling you what to buy, maybe, just maybe, you should consider developing some judgement of your own? And after all, what's the worst that can happen? You have lukewarm tea at the end of the day?
 ianstevens 02 Aug 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Decathlon stuff?

I'll save you the effort.

1/5, all overrated shite.
OP flopsicle 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Uh oh.... You may somewhat dislike the biscuit banter.

Rob Exile Ward 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

No, I'm happy to review biscuits. Really, I didn't mean to be rude.
 The New NickB 02 Aug 2016

Who is this London journalist working for? The OP mentioned reviews on UKC (Sheffield) and you mentioned TRAIL / Country Walking (Peterborough).

Plenty on reviews on these pages that are a lot more pointless than a review of thermos flasks, I say that as someone who does not drink hot drinks. A comprehensive review of trail shoes for example, that did not include shoes from the brands that make up 95% of the market.
 spenser 02 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Only one answer to the question of which is the superior flask, it's the lifeventure mug of course. Mine's been hoiked around all over the place for 6 years and is still going strong. Only does one cup though...
In reply to flopsicle:

Definitely chairs. I am the only person I know who always takes a chair with me to the crag. I like chairs.
 lithos 03 Aug 2016

Im told chillys are really good make https://www.chillysbottles.com/
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Aug 2016
In reply to lithos:

They're leak-proof! Wow! It's a breakthrough!
 Cheese Monkey 03 Aug 2016

Not to mention being designed for an active urban lifestyle. Unrivalled performance!!!!!

snoop6060 03 Aug 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> decathlon

> I'll save you the effort.

> 1/5, all overrated shite.

Aye but should decathlon decide to pay for advertising on this site, the reviews would be the same as they always are. 5/5, absolutely amazing in every single way. With a token critical point such as 'the extra small did feel a bit tight'.

UKC should just not do reviews.
In reply to Morty:

That list has just made my day...
 MG 03 Aug 2016

> And after all, what's the worst that can happen? You have lukewarm tea at the end of the day?

No. You will have cold tea over every item in you sack. I may speak from experience....
 lithos 03 Aug 2016
> They're leak-proof! Wow! It's a breakthrough!

1) have you ever had a flask leak (eg the stupid pop up designs)
2) do you think it's important ?

whilst i get it's all a little 'climb britain' branding I've heard good things about them, seem quite pricey though

Removed User 03 Aug 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Quechua Seconds tents are superb and I'd say some of the clothing is pretty good, too - including down jackets/gilets, fleece jackets/gilets, t-shirts. Kalenji line-up isn't bad, either.
 winhill 03 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

rowing machines
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Aug 2016
In reply to lithos:

Ah but Rob, secretly you always were a bit of a one for technology. After all, I can still remember you trying to explain this internet thingy, which I assured you might be all very well for you university types but would never catch on in the real world.
 bouldery bits 03 Aug 2016
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Aldi Disco Biscuits (no, really, that's what they're called) may be a reasonable subsititute:

As a result of this thread I popped into our local Aldi in search of the aforementioned product and was disappointed to discover that only 'Groovy Biscuits' were available.

They're not even that nice but I've eaten the whole box.
 FactorXXX 03 Aug 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

They're not even that nice but I've eaten the whole box.

They'd probably taste nicer if you took them out of the box first...
 Paul16 04 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Bouldering mats! All I ever see on UKC is reviews of a manufacture's latest offering. Yet out at the crag I see all sorts being used. Can't believe there's no comparison on here.

Personally I have a mahoosive air crash pad that doubles as a sofa when I want a coffee, pack of biscuits and cake.
 Fredt 04 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Ron Hills
 Bulls Crack 04 Aug 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Pieces of string and their relative lengths should be reviwed
OP flopsicle 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

String!!!??? I don't like to be rude, (no, really) but there was an edition of Trail, or Country Walking, or something, that had an editorial criticising the consumerism that is engulfing outdoor activities ... and the same edition had a six page feature reviewing bl**dy string!

FFS. Really, if you can't pick up different bits of string and judge the efficacy and cost/benefit analysis of the different lengths, without a London journo telling you what to buy, maybe, just maybe, you should consider developing some judgement of your own? And after all, what's the worst that can happen? String too long at the end of the day?

**'pologies Rob, too epic a rant to waste**
 gethin_allen 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Morty:
"> diesel estates"

No need, we already know the answer to be the Skoda Octavia.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...