UKC

Biggest Gang in New York

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 04 Aug 2016
Not sure if anyone caught this on BBC 1 the other night, a documentary about the NYPD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p040v890/nypd-biggest-gang-in-new-york...

Some of the issues tackled in this astonished me. We all know about the recent(?) spate of Blue on Black shootings in the states, however the level of oppression of some of the communities is astonishing.

Did you know the NYPD set-up East Germany behind-the-wall style observation towers in the Bronx most nights?
e.g:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nypd+observation&source=lnms&tbm=...

Thank goodness we still have Policing by consent in the UK.
 crustypunkuk 04 Aug 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I watched it on catch up and like you say it was pretty shocking. I've always considered myself pretty pro police, but I'm bloody delighted I don't live in the U.S, even as a white man.
 JEF 07 Aug 2016

> Did you know the NYPD set-up East Germany behind-the-wall style observation towers in the Bronx most nights?

I think you'll find similar in
London's West End?

Timmd 07 Aug 2016
In reply to JEF:
Seriously?
Post edited at 21:30
 Jim 1003 07 Aug 2016

You're a bit naive, parts of the Bronx are really dangerous particularly for whites. The observation points are a safe way for tracking the 75% of the young adult population, many of whom carry guns and who belong to gangs. There's not much else for them to do.
Try a walk through if you believe the BBC bullshit.....the NYPD are the only reason it doesn't descend into gang warfare.
 Tom Last 07 Aug 2016

Biggest Gang in New York

RIFFS YEAH!
 wintertree 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

I agree with you in part but...

> There's not much else for them to do.

Pretty sure that is in no way true. It's almost never true. There are, for example, more public libraries in the Bronx than where I grew up. It's no different in London. Endemic gang culture is a bit more complicated than "nuffink else to do."

I'm not sure that have detached, militarised policing really helps matters but then what choice do the police have once a situation like this is established?
 Jim 1003 08 Aug 2016
In reply to wintertree:

I don't think a library visit will be high on the list of gun carrying gang members in the Bronx. I agree about the fact the observation points are not ideal, but If I was in the NYPD I would probably be really glad of them and can't think of another way to patrol such a dangerous area. It changes at night becoming much more dangerous.
 wintertree 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> I don't think a library visit will be high on the list of gun carrying gang members in the Bronx

I never said it was.

I said "there's nothing to do" is not a very convincing argument. Lack of things to do is not why there is a gang problem. It is other things. Lack of opportunity - real and perceived, social inertia - including a viscous circle of arms between the gangs and the police - all sorts of things.

The idea that there's nothing to do is preposterous. People may have expectations for more than there is, and may not be equipped to enjoy / engage with what there is, and gangs may hold more allure than other activities, but there's a lot of other stuff.
 The Lemming 08 Aug 2016

Trump is from NY and he'll know what to do.

All we have to do is wait till he becomes President and he will fix it all.
 graeme jackson 08 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Trump is from NY and he'll know what to do.
He could build a wall around it and charge the occupants .
 JEF 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> Seriously?

Yes. I retired from the Met in 2013, they were there then to allow officers to see above the crowds & therefore further.
I haven't been to London for some time, I can only assume they're still there.
In reply to wintertree:
Lack of opportunity - real and perceived, social inertia - including a viscous circle

A sticky situation for sure. ...

Post edited at 19:51
 The Lemming 08 Aug 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

> He could build a wall around it and charge the occupants .

Isn't there a documentary or two where they blow the bridges?

I'm sure one had a snake and the other a joker.
 Timmd 08 Aug 2016
In reply to JEF:

> Yes. I retired from the Met in 2013, they were there then to allow officers to see above the crowds & therefore further.

> I haven't been to London for some time, I can only assume they're still there.

Fancy that, thanks for the info.
 Timmd 09 Aug 2016

I think that's a disturbing programme.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...