UKC

Recommend me some video editing software?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ally Smith 08 Aug 2016
I've used windows movie maker with some success, but I don't think the version i have on my Win7 machine will do what i want.

What i want to do is:
- crop a video from landscape into portrait
- repeat for a second video of a different climber on the same route
- then do a split screen of both climbers doing the route simultaneously to do a side-by-side comparison

Recommendations please? Freeware preferred obviously
 alx 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

GoPro Studio is free and covers many things the free editing software which Mac and Windows cover. I believe you do not need a GoPro to get it
 richprideaux 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

It could possibly be done in more recent versions of Photoshop, which you may have access to somewhere?
 Dan Arkle 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

Have you considered filming it on two mobile phones, then filming the screens of both the phones next to each other as they play back.

More seriously, to do that with any quality, I'd expect you'll need expensive software and 2 weeks to master it! Good luck
 HarmM 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

have you looked at downloading the free trial to either Adobe premier or adobe elements premier? they normally give you a 30 day free trial
 Xharlie 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

You *can* use Blender for video editing. It's open source and free-beer too... and it works. I've used it.

You almost certainly don't want to do this. This is almost certainly terrible advice.
OP Ally Smith 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Cheers Dan - like your style!
 Pietrach 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

Try HitFilm Express. An amazing software and it is free. May not be them most user friendly, but when you learn it becomes all easy and quick. Its capabilities are incredible.
OP Ally Smith 10 Aug 2016
In reply to alx:

> GoPro Studio is free and covers many things the free editing software which Mac and Windows cover. I believe you do not need a GoPro to get it

GoPro Studio doesn't exist anymore - the "desktop app" will only work with GoPro source files, so despite using some other software t convert my phone files into the GoPro CineForm format i'm no closer to doing a useful edit.
 richprideaux 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

If you just need two videos laying side by side and playing at the same time it's a 15 minute job in Adobe Premiere. I could do it if you dropbox me the files and tell me the specs.
 Route Adjuster 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

Try Lightworks - very capable software and a freely available version available for download (You can pay for the Pro version that has even more features, but you won't need to).
 whenry 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Route Adjuster:

I'd second Lightworks. A serious bit of software, with good tutorials and pretty easy to pick up.
In reply to whenry:

I'll third lightworks. Not super easy to get used to, but can make very nice edits and once you've got the hang of it, it's as powerful as most other programs like premier and avid, but free....well, almost free! With the most recent update the free version limits you to 720p output, unless you have a vimeo pro account in that case you can upload directly at 1080p.

It was good enough for Pulp Fiction...
 The Lemming 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

> I've used windows movie maker with some success, but I don't think the version i have on my Win7 machine will do what i want.

> What i want to do is:

> - crop a video from landscape into portrait

> - repeat for a second video of a different climber on the same route

> - then do a split screen of both climbers doing the route simultaneously to do a side-by-side comparison

> Recommendations please? Freeware preferred obviously

Adobe Premier Elements does this. You don't have to buy the most recent version but rather a couple of generations back to save some cash.

I'm sure Power Director does this too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...