UKC

'Earth Sciences' OU Degree

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 11 Aug 2016

Has anybody come across this degree, either from taking it, or from employing anybody who has it, or talking to people 'in the know' about it, and what have their experiences been?

I'm still figuring out exactly what I want to do in the conservation sector, I think 'lots of things and anything' is the most honest answer, but while figuring this out, I thought I'd try and find out about this degree.

Many thanks.
 Pbob 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Hi. I started an Earth Science degree at the OU but by the time I'd finished it was narrow enough to claim a BSc Geoscience. The degree course was excellent. Having also got a BSc Physics from a normal uni (supposedly a top uni), I can say that the quality of teaching, the efficiency of the organisation and the value of what I learned was so much better at the OU. However that was 10 years ago. I don't how the withdrawel of funding support has effected things.
 jasonC abroad 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Not employed anyone with it but I used to work as a Mud Logger for Baker Hughes and one of the guys I trained with had done the same OU degree, so it is valuable (this was 16 years ago).

Jason
 Doug 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I've worked in conservation for some 25 years & started with a joint degree in environmental sceince & biology which I'd suggest is a much better start than either of the two on their own. That was at Stirling and we used some of the OU text books, especially for Earth science related topics
OP Timmd 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks, all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...