UKC

Dry tool damage at Kyloe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Extensive crampon scratching on Flake Crack and Christmas Tree Arete. Really very bad. Is this a new thing? We thought it looked pretty fresh.

FFS, who dry tools on classic Northumberland sandstone? Did they not notice the damage they were causing, or did they just not care? They clearly need to practise their footwork too, big time. But NOT here. Really. F*ck's sake.
 BenedictIEP 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I recall an incident last winter. is this old damage or definitely new damage?
In reply to BenedictIEP:
I couldn't say for sure as I'd not been to Kyloe for a year or two before yesterday. They looked pretty fresh to me but I've (thankfully, until now...) not got any experience of crampon damage on sandstone to compare it with.

Just seen the thread from Jan - not sure how I missed that at the time. I'm really hoping this is the old damage, not some brand new stuff. Hopefully someone local will be along at some point to clear it up (my confusion i mean - not the damage, which is to all intents and purposes permanent)
Post edited at 12:29
 ChrisH89 13 Aug 2016
I'm pretty sure that's the incident from January, I've been to Kyloe a few times this year and haven't seen any more recent damage. The folks responsible for it before had it made clear to them it was unacceptable. Those were the routes affected previously.
Post edited at 13:48
In reply to ChrisH89:

Thanks, that's reassuring
 Mike-W-99 13 Aug 2016

Was there today, didn't notice it on Xmas Tree Arete but Flake Crack is a bit of a mess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...