UKC

Lake district bouldering & camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marko8182 14 Aug 2016
Hi guys after a bit of advice. I'm heading up to the lakes for a few nights camping & bouldering & wanted some advice on palaces to go.
Things I'm looking for are
Problems around v6-7 grade
A cheap campsite where dogs are allowed (or a good spot for a 2 night wild camp) near to the a crag & or preferably near to some parking?
 MTL 14 Aug 2016
Seathwaite camping down the end of Borrowdale might suit? Can pay for overnight parking and wild camp (or for same price camp at the site - not sure about dogs but its a farmers field-type campsite) from there you can walk up to Gillercombe/Sour Milk Ghyll boulders and the Bowderstone is a short drive away. Then if you drive a little further/on the way back to the M6 there is Carrock Fell.
 Mark Eddy 14 Aug 2016
In reply to marko8182:

Eskdale. Loads of bouldering on the granite, good campsites, and good wild camp options
pasbury 16 Aug 2016
In reply to marko8182:

It's a long walk-in but if you're travelling light then camp in Upper Eskdale and spend a day on Sampsons Stones - wonderful spot.
 Lord_ash2000 16 Aug 2016
In reply to marko8182:

Seathwaite camping is was I was going to suggest, Within 10 mins walking distance you'd have Sour Milk Gill Boulders and also Marks Boulder with a few board like V6-V8's on, and further across the other way a 'newer' boulder with with a few cool problems on, including Lambrini girls which is V8 I think.

Then much further up the hill (30-40mins) you have Gillercombe, which has several boulders with a broader range of grades. The arete is a classic V5 which is very droppable even at the top, with a few cool hard sit starts to it as well.

Guide can be downloaded here http://lakesbloc.com/guides/gillercombe-guide.pdf

Then, walking from the camp site down the road for a couple of miles (you might be able to catch the bus) is the Bowderstone, the place to go bouldering in Borrowdale and plenty to do in V6-V8 range.

Guide here http://lakesbloc.com/guides/bowderstone-guide.pdf

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...