UKC

Cutting half rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 14 Aug 2016
I need a 35m length of half rope from a 60m, would you cut 25m off one side, or 12.5m off both to keep the 1/2 mark?
 humptydumpty 14 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

60m rope will work fine as a 35.
 PPP 14 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

One side if you plan to use it as confidence rope. If the rope is used, it's better to chop both sides to keep the middle mark and chop the most worn out parts of rope.
 Big_T 14 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Take the ends off and use the middle 35m.

Between constantly trying and untying into the end of the rope, and that knot absorbing any falls, then using your rope to build belays and thus the wear through biners and such, the end 15 feet or so of the ropes get by far the most wear.

Others may disagree. But I hope this helps.
 climbwhenready 14 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

You want a 1/4 rope?
 Michael Gordon 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Is the middle mark really so important on such a short rope? If the whole rope is basically fine (as you suggest) I would certainly cut it at 35m and that way you have a nice 25m rope for short routes.
OP zimpara 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Brand new Mammut meteor 60. I see your point, a 25m would be nice, but a half way band 5m from one end would get annoying I reckon? I think I'm ocd.
 Hephaestus 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Could you tie off 35 m of rope and coil the rest over your shoulder, alpine style? Then you'd still have a 60 when you need one.
 MG 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:
> Brand new Mammut meteor 60. I see your point,

Why not buy a further 35m of rope, rather than wrecking a new one?
Post edited at 09:58
OP zimpara 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Hephaestus:

Cheers, it's more to do with carrying 25metres less weight .
 john arran 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Cheers, it's more to do with carrying 25metres less weight .

in which case, have you considered cutting it lengthways?

galpinos 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Used rope, cut both ends off and keep the middle. My halves get knackered at the ends, knots, falls, kicked with crampons etc.

New rope - keep as a 60m and by 35m of half rope off a reel.
 jkarran 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

What use is a mid marker on a 35m rope?

Cut the thing near the middle and you have two useful ropes or keep it whole and you have one really useful rope that can be trimmed into a still useful rope when it gets tired.
jk
 GrahamD 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

If its a well used rope, cut off the ends as these will be the most worn part. If its new then you've obviously got too much money if youre contemplating cutting it !
 Hephaestus 15 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> If its new then you've obviously got too much money if youre contemplating cutting it !

In which case give me the 60 and I'll swap for 35m of old but serviceable 9mm rope 🙂
 Michael Gordon 15 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> a half way band 5m from one end would get annoying I reckon?

I've never found it annoying but then I've never cut a brand new rope! Of the ropes I've cut, the middle marker had become much less visible by then; on yours it could well serve as a reminder of the destruction of a perfectly good rope.

bpmclimb 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I've never cut a brand new rope!

I did this recently, for the first time. Despite buying it with that intention (two ropes for use at short sport crags from a 70m single), it didn't come easy actually to make the cut!

The middle marker is now 2 end markers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...