UKC

Garage Bouldering Wall - roof joists/design

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WillCass 14 Aug 2016
We're currently thinking about building a bouldering/circuits room in our garage, it is 5 meters in length and just over 2 meters in height up to the roof joists with a further 99cm into the apex of the roof. I think we'd do an angle of somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees. Would the garage size give us enough room for a worthwhile training facility?

The main thing I'm unsure of though at the moment is at that angle would the roof joists need strengthening and how would I go about doing that? The roof joists nor the roof rafters look very strong to me.

Not being great at diy would this be something a joiner could knock up or if anyone is in or Manchester and wants to take a look at this project that would be great.

Thanks
 mwr72 14 Aug 2016
In reply to WillCass:

It all depends on the structure materials, what are the walls and roof trusses constructed from.

Ps. I'm also a joiner and not too far away from Manchester.
 elliott92 15 Aug 2016
In reply to mwr72:

Who said they're trusses?
 mwr72 15 Aug 2016
In reply to elliott92:

Did he say it didn't have trusses?

The roof has an apex so is likely to be a trussed roof.
OP WillCass 15 Aug 2016
In reply to mwr72:

Thanks, will message you now.
OP WillCass 15 Aug 2016
In reply to mwr72:

Did you get my message, can you help us with this?

Thanks
OP WillCass 15 Aug 2016
In reply to mwr72:

Sorry, just answering your question, the walls of the garage are brick and the joists/trusses and rafters are wood (doesn't look massively strong). There are a couple of windows in the garage. I can send you some photos if it helps.

Thanks
 mwr72 15 Aug 2016
In reply to WillCass:

Hi, I haven't received an email from you as yet, I will try mailing you.
OP WillCass 15 Aug 2016
In reply to mwr72:

Thanks, I've received your email and have replied just now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...