UKC

Which wetsuit for open water swimming ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 16 Aug 2016
There seems to be a bewildering range of wetsuits for swimming, mostly for triathlon. I'm looking for a wetsuit for recreational swimming in open water around 12-18C, I'm skinny and feel the cold. Any brands or recommendations to look at? I saw Alpkit do one at a good price. I don't mind paying up to a couple of hundred quid or so...
 maxsmith 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

I've got this one for OW swimming and really like it, im also stick thin! think they are all much of a muchness but it's worth trying on quite a few to get the perfect size (medium-long for me).

https://www.milletsports.co.uk/product/black-orca-s4-boys-wetsuit/217529_fi...
 ebygomm 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

If you can try before buying, that's best. What's best for you is so dependent on body shape and swimming style personal recommendations are largely meaningless. It's pretty much the same as asking for climbing shoe recommendations
 jonnie3430 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

I bought a lomo one for about 100, it's thicker in the body than arms for a bit extra warmth. I'd recommend it and lomo, a Glasgow based wetsuit company.
 plyometrics 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

The Orca 3.8 is highly regarded by many OW swimmers I know. My wife swears by hers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-38-enduro-wetsuit-2016/?lang=en&curr=GBP&a...
 Loughan 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

I faced this dilemma last year and went with the Wiggle solution which was to set a budget (for me max £130) then order 3 - 4 wetsuits and try them on

I really liked the look of one of them but thanks to trying it on I found it just didn't fit (too baggy round the armpits)

In the end I went for this one which was also the cheapest. Wore it for two triathlon rivers swims & several open water sessions and was always happy with it & still am but like my climbing - I just don't have time!!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zone3-venture-wetsuit-wiggle-exclusive/
OP Dave 16 Aug 2016
In reply to ebygomm:

> If you can try before buying, that's best. What's best for you is so dependent on body shape and swimming style personal recommendations are largely meaningless.

Thanks all for the replies..

Yep. Tried one in a local shop which was fine apart from space round the lower back where I could imagine cold water would be sloshing around. There's a limited choice where I live so I think it will have to be mail order unfortunately. I came across Snugg made to measure ones which sounded interesting, and UK made.

LastBoyScout 16 Aug 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> The Orca 3.8 is highly regarded by many OW swimmers I know. My wife swears by hers.

I have an older version of this suit I got second hand/ex-demo at a triathlon, after struggling round the swim in a borrowed suit.

Still paid nearly £200 for it, but it's been great for what I've used it for - mostly local rivers at dawn.
 JamButty 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

My first one was a second hand Orca S2 that I scrounged. It gives you an understanding on fit and stops you spending a fortune on one.
Do you have anyone you could borrow one off. Some OW swimming locations allow you to hire them, sometimes even for a season, so that may be worth looking it thats an option where you live.

I used my S2 for a couple of years and loved it, but then upgraded to a new more expensive Aquaman, and the difference was quite noticable
 StefanB 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

That's a tought one. Even trying in a shop or even a pool won't reveal the severe chafing some models can cause. I ended up getting rid off my first wetsuit after while for this reason.

perosanlly, I think the Orca suits are very good value for money and fit my body well.
 gethin_allen 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

This thread reminds me of a friend who did a charity open water swim in a 8 mm diving wetsuit which fitted him like a set of overalls.
It must have been horrendous, I should have doubled my sponsorship pledge.
 Tall Clare 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

My husband had a Snugg one for years and really rated it - I liked it as a spectator because, unlike all the Orca/2XU ones etc, it had a big luminous yellow stripe down the back so I could spot him easily.
 jethro kiernan 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave:

Another month and eBay will have lots of barley used ones available, the charity triathletes and such will start offloading their gear. Some real bargains to be had

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...