UKC

Mahavishnu Orchestra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 18 Aug 2016
Was introduced to the Mahavishnu Orchestra yesterday and have been wondering how I'd never heard it before. Described as picking up where Hendrix left off - all I can say is wow!

Check it out on youtube if you are a Hendrix fan!
In reply to Baron Weasel:
They are awesome and the reason you may not have heard of them is that their roots are in jazz - strong connections to Miles Davis and his band members, Tony Williams, Bill Evans plus Billy Cobham's links to Hendrix. 'The inner mounting flame' is a magnificent album. John Mc invented a new approach to guitar playing that set a new style from the virtuoso lead to the under current lead - an incessant driving improvisation that underpinned the main theme.
Post edited at 19:55
 digby 18 Aug 2016
Wow! I came to them first time around. A little frenetic but exciting music!
Post edited at 21:27
Removed User 18 Aug 2016

I love Mahavishnu/McLaughlin stuff. It's good when you discover something new (or not so new) that floats your boat.
 graeme jackson 18 Aug 2016

Love most of McLaughlin's work. If you get a chance, have a listen to his later Mahavishnu stuff with Bill Evans and especially Jonas Hellborg on bass. Adventures in Radioland is a good start.
His trio work is incredible. saw him with Trilok Gurtu and Jeff Berlin in Leeds in 1988 and was blown away by all three.
 pneame 18 Aug 2016

Got me through my student days quite nicely - as Graeme says, his other work is pretty good also. Shakti for an Indian slant, the seminal "Love Devotion, Surrender" with Carlos Santana, his early albums (I particularly like Arjens Bag on Extrapolation) and I rather like his Mediterranean Concerto, although some don't.

Nosing around on Amazon, I see there are a few other things...
 andrew ogilvie 18 Aug 2016

Birds of fire album is excellent . I rediscovered it in my collection having moved from progressive rock towards jazz in my 30s. On that basis you might also enjoy Soft Machine?
 andrew ogilvie 18 Aug 2016
I also had an album featuring McLaughlin and Jack Bruce under another band leader ( Charlie Williams maybe?) and the title Lifetime...it was so "challenging" that I was never entirely sure if my vinyl copy, bought second hand in one of the many record shops that thrived around Glasgow university in the 80s, didn't have something terribly wrong with it. I suppose I should search for it again on spotify to see I the years have given me new ears.
 Big Ger 19 Aug 2016
Loved them, had all their albums back in the early 70's.

I've gone right off jazz these day, but still carry a candle for John McG.

Oh, if you get a chance, check out "meeting of the spirits" John McG, Paco De Lucia, and Larry Croyel, playing an acoustic set.
Post edited at 00:04
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Tony Williams Lifetime.
 andrew sparks 19 Aug 2016

Check out J Mc solo work " Electric Guitarist" ....... some of the greats on it... Jack Bruce, Tony Williams, Carlos Santana and Billy Cobham amongst others.

J Mc still performs live in his 70's and still great and LOUD .
 Doug 19 Aug 2016
In reply to andrew sparks:

Agree about Electric guitarist, one of my favourite LPs, along with Passion, Grace and Fire

Not always loud, last time I saw him he played mostly acoustic guitar, but it was as Shakti
Try Bitches Brew by Miles Davis - he plays on that and one track is dedicated to him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...