UKC

Olympics: Synchronised Swimming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 19 Aug 2016
I'd always assumed that this was a sport that shouldn't really be in the Olympics, like the Horse Dancing.

However, watching this clip, the synchronisation, skill and fitness are amazing, take a look youtube.com/watch?v=IjRXivLd7ps&t=522
 john arran 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Last time I looked "synchronisation, skill and fitness" weren't core Olympic values. Lots of dance and circus performances are amazing in similar ways but they aren't sports either.
 Philip 20 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

The Olympics is less of a world summit of every sport and more of a way to bring countries together. Gymnastics, diving, sync swimming are all exhibition disciplines for athletes. Rock climbing if it were at the Olympics , would fall into that category.
 john arran 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Philip:

What that says to me is that the politics is more important than the sport. Sadly I'd have to agree that that's the reality, but I'd very much disagree that, in terms of the events included, it should be.

I don't think bundling competition climbing in with this discussion is at all relevant or appropriate, as it clearly is a sport in which the winners are determined by the core Olympic values of stronger, higher, faster.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...