UKC

Blowing our cover (by being a bit brash at the Olympics)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 22 Aug 2016
Us Brits are a self effacing bunch, dothing our cap to our superiors, generally mucking in and getting along. Something has happened though and the Genie is out of the bottle... We smashed it at Rio in the Olympics! 2nd in the leaderboard (with more medals per capita than the USA [in pole position]). We are the best in the world - Let's hope no-one notices!
In reply to broken spectre:

Doffing...
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Doffing...

Quite... There goes the spelling medal
 nastyned 22 Aug 2016

Don't worry, there's bound to be some specatular defeats soon.
abseil 22 Aug 2016

The Rio Olympics? They don't start till next week do they??
In reply to All:

Not the best of threads. I tried to delete it but it won't go away. Looks like we're stuck with it :/
Clauso 22 Aug 2016

If Greater Manchester was a country, then it'd be ahead of France and Japan in the Olympic gold medal table:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/21/greater-manchester-has-more-...
 Timmd 22 Aug 2016

> Not the best of threads. I tried to delete it but it won't go away. Looks like we're stuck with it :/

There's been a lot worse.
 marsbar 22 Aug 2016

Seems right to me. What ever happened to proper British sportsmen, like Eddie the Eagle?

What happened to proper British sporting events, where we stop proceedings for tea and cake?
 fred99 23 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Most unusual isn't it. Where are all the Aussies, crowing about how much better they've done than us ?
Andy Gamisou 23 Aug 2016

> Us Brits are a self effacing bunch, dothing our cap to our superiors, generally mucking in and getting along. Something has happened though and the Genie is out of the bottle... We smashed it at Rio in the Olympics! 2nd in the leaderboard (with more medals per capita than the USA [in pole position]). We are the best in the world - Let's hope no-one notices!

It's my understanding that Grenada came top,
and that the UK didn't even figure in the top ten!
 TMM 23 Aug 2016

Thankfully one our elected representatives has noticed our recent sporting prowess.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-37163416

Shameful.
 GrahamD 23 Aug 2016
In reply to TMM:

Daft bint. Don't you just love social media ?
 Mike Highbury 23 Aug 2016
In reply to TMM:

> Thankfully one our elected representatives has noticed our recent sporting prowess.

> Shameful.

It's not a particularly good joke, though it would probably win on the Fringe, but joke it was.
 Lemony 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

It's quite a sensitive political legacy to making hamfisted jokes about don't you think?
 Mike Highbury 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Lemony:
> It's quite a sensitive political legacy to making hamfisted jokes about don't you think?

It originated on Guido, didn't it?

marsbar 23 Aug 2016
In reply to TMM:

South Derbyshire isn't a very diverse area. She is probably clueless as to why that might be the wrong thing to say. Not excusing it btw.
 Tyler 23 Aug 2016
In reply to TMM:

> Thankfully one our elected representatives has noticed our recent sporting prowess.

> Shameful.

If the joke had had Commonwealth instead of Empire would people still find it offensive, I wonder? (I'm assuming the numbers would be similar but could be wrong)
 Lemony 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Well the image in the background suggests that the calculation includes, for example, our american colonies so the numbers would be significantly different.

But significantly: yes, saying commonwealth would be less offensive because it means something different to Empire. Pretty much the point of the commonwealth is to try and separate our relationships with former colonies from the stains of imperialism.
 The New NickB 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Tyler:

It would be less offensive, but it would also suggest that those Australians, Jamaicans etc might of had some part in their medal winning.
 Tyler 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Lemony:

> Well the image in the background suggests that the calculation includes, for example, our american colonies so the numbers would be significantly different.
Ah, I couldn't see that on my phone screen. I was wondering if Empire was chosen to be provocative or because the joke wouldn't work with the more acceptable alternative.

> But significantly: yes, saying commonwealth would be less offensive because it means something different to Empire. Pretty much the point of the commonwealth is to try and separate our relationships with former colonies from the stains of imperialism.
I badly worded my question, what I was getting at is do people get offended by the Commonwealth, it only exists because of the unsavouryness of the empire
 Tyler 23 Aug 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> it would also suggest that those Australians, Jamaicans etc might of had some part in their medal winning.
It's a bit of a stretch to think she was suggesting they weren't, we're probably both over analysing it.
 The New NickB 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Tyler:

> It's a bit of a stretch to think she was suggesting they weren't, we're probably both over analysing it.

I just kind of get that vibe!
 balmybaldwin 23 Aug 2016

To be honest it looks like another rather stupid Brexiter drawing the conclusion that we're better off out of Europe on the basis of medals won whilst still a part of Europe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...