UKC

Berlingo / equivalents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 14 Sep 2016
I'm in the market for a new car and I'm going down the leasing route with my current employer.

I'm looking at the Berlingo as I know it's a decent vehicle that can be semi-converted for sleeping in, and has some useful storage etc built into it.

However, there are some other options available at the same kind of price which I've not looked at before. Things such a the VW Caddy and Peugeot Partner (car versions).

Has anyone experienced these to know how they compare to the Berlingo? Or anything else that's worth looking at before committing?
 Eciton 14 Sep 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

Berlingo and Partners are basically the same car. In fact they are done in the same factory. Choose whatever gets you the best deal. Should not be very different though.

Have no experience with VW Caddy but friends say it is quite reliable. But will be more expensive than Berlingo/Partner
 krikoman 14 Sep 2016

I've got a Doblo and It's great, 5 seater that folds away to 2 seater, loads of room and cheap (13K) so a real bargain compared to VW. drives well if a little noisy compared to my previous car which was a Skoda Superb, so that's to be expected really.
cb294 14 Sep 2016

The Berlingo is great, but I have no idea whether the new, fuel efficient engines are as reliable as the old ones (the 1.9l , 90hp common rail diesel was indestructable). The Caddies are OK, and good for sleeping in (especially with the longer wheelbase), but their fuel efficiency is beyond crap.
Renault also makes a long wheel base Kangoo, but just having sold my Espace I would be reluctant to buy another Renault.

CB
 Neil Williams 14 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:
The 1.6 PSA commonrail turbodiesel engine, particularly those more than 3-4 years old but I think still the newer ones to some extent, has a bad reputation for eating turbos due to crap getting into the oil. I wouldn't buy one used unless it has a full *main dealer* service history. If you do buy one new, go main dealer for servicing or do it yourself.

The key is that you *must not* change the oil by vacuuming out of the dipstick slot like Kwik Fit etc often do - it has to be dropped in the traditional way, and I think flushed through with clean oil before refilling.

If you ever don't do this, some muck will build up and your turbo will eventually blow. Then another, then another. Once it has happened there is no fix.

However, if serviced correctly I'm lead to believe it is otherwise a good engine.
Post edited at 10:11
 Hat Dude 14 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

> The Caddies are OK, and good for sleeping in (especially with the longer wheelbase), but their fuel efficiency is beyond crap.

I've had a Caddy Maxi 140psi since 2010, have averaged 44-45mpg and I don't have the lightest right foot

LeeWood 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

These utilitaires are super adaptable vehicles - our Berlingo serves us for market, family and shopping. however it will not allow you to lie full length - I'm talking about our yr2000 model - may have changed. The previous owner of our car neverthelss adapted a system of platforms to lie - so it is poss but fussy to setup/ carry around. Our 2nd car is a Dacia Lodgy - for which I believ it is poss to lie full length.
 pebbles 14 Sep 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

depends on your height - in the van version at least (swb) at 162 cm I can lie full length in the back behind the drivers seat even with the bulkhead. In the van the front passenger seat folds down completely flat, so a taller person could just sleep on that side instead
 Tim Sparrow 14 Sep 2016
Really pleased with mine. Add in an Amdro Bootjump and it's a mini camper with a standard length double bed. Fine for a 6 footer +. Versatility is its strength. Car, van or camper.
Post edited at 17:56
 Hat Dude 15 Sep 2016

If you're going to use it for overnight camping, get a Reimo Trapez Rear Awning

https://www.reimo.com/en/93791-rear_tent_trapez_for_caddy_w250xl140cm/

They are actually designed for a Caddy but will fit on other vans with tailgates

Ref your OP the Peugeot Partner is the same vehicle as the Berlingo, I looked at both and the Doblo but decided to get a Caddy Maxi, which I would highly recommend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...