UKC

DWS Durdle Door arch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So whilst catching up with my friend he was telling me about this recent trip to Durdle Door. He's not a climber but he was telling me he was swimming around the Door and climbed the arch from the sea, up - over - and down. My guidebook doesn't list this as a route, but I guess it's not a DWS guidebook. Has anyone done this and what sort of grade would you give it?

He definitely wouldn't lie about this, but he wouldn't have had rock shoes or anything - just trainers he says. He is really athletic but it just sounds nuts!
Post edited at 22:54
James Jackson 18 Sep 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I've done plenty of climbing up it to jump off, but not all the way from the top... It's not very hard - just gets very exposed very quickly. Lots of water under if you aim correctly though. The top is a bit grassy, but it gets climbed fairly often by bold swimming climber jumpists (which is definitely a real word).
 JamButty 18 Sep 2016

Lulworth

Isn't it restricted?

In reply to JamButty:

"The climbing on Stair Hole, Dungy Head and Durdle Door all fall within an area of land mapped as Open Access under CRoW. Climbing is a permitted activity under the CRoW legislation so there is a legal right of access to all three areas for climbers, walkers and members of the public."

On the Lulworth crag page?
 The Ivanator 19 Sep 2016

Not gone up the Arch, but this Summer I did a traverse from the next bay East (St. Oswald's) around the headland to emerge back through Durdle Door and onto the beach - brilliant fun. St. Oswald's Bay to Durdle Door Traverse (VS 5a)
 tizer 20 Sep 2016

I climbed to the top of the arch to jump off (in my youth, it's no harder than S, from memory, I reckon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...