UKC

TV Aerials

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 21 Sep 2016
I need to put a TV into one of our bedrooms and at the moment we have a TV in the lounge and a TV in the kitchen both connected to one roof aerial and both have good signals.

Can I just connect with a splitter a co-axial cable to one of these and run that to the new TV?

Or would it be better to fix another aerial onto the existing mast and have the new TV in the bedroom connected just to that?

Can you have 2 aerials on one mast or do they interfere with each other.

We use Freeview and the standard channels, do not have Sky or Cable TV.

Thanks
 markAut 21 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

If the signal is good, and the TV's are not huge, you may be able to get away with it. Failing that, a two output booster thing is not that expensive. You just need to be able to plug it in somewhere.
RockyRoadIceCream 22 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

As it's for a bedroom, you could always put an aerial in your loft and run it straight into your TV. You can buy them from hardware stores like B&Q etc and they're really easy to install.

RRIC
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

I'd try a splitter first, but locate where you could fit an active splitter (booster) if, in the unlikely event, signal level is too low.

In terms of more aerials on one mast, in theory they will interfere with each other slightly but I'd be far mor concerned about increased wind loading.
jac the lassie 22 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

We did this but needed a booster for the split lead. It's run like that on the same cheapo booster for 15 years though.
m0unt41n 22 Sep 2016
In reply to markAut and all

Just had a good look and there are two cables going straight from the aerial round the outside or the house for a bit and then separately into it and appear by magic in the lounge and kitchen so I cannot use a splitter unless it also is at the aerial and it cannot therefore be powered since its outside. Good point about wind loading, hadn't thought of that. I suspect the only simple answer would be a loft aerial.

How effective are these?

I guess I could put a loft aerial in, take the small TV from the kitchen up into the attic and try it out to with it to make sure it works OK and the signal is strong before putting coaxial cable down into the bedroom.

crustypunkuk 22 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:
You need to use a powered amplifier where the cable currently connects to the tv with the existing coax cables into the input. You would then have a cable from the amplifier to that tv and another cable from the amplifier to the new uncabled room. Without the powered amplifier, the signal would be significantly weakened by just splitting the existing cable. The good new is that a powered amplifier will cost 15-20 quid max.
Post edited at 20:14
 thedatastream 23 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

A powered masthead amplifier/splitter sounds like the sort of thing you need

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXPUH141V.html
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Labgear/MXPUHV.pdf

This is powered through the antenna cable using the provided power supply. You'll need to get a couple of screw on F connectors to connect the cables to it - handily the same company sell them - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXSATP.html

As an aside, mounting two aerials next to each other will detune them slightly but since they are wideband this shouldn't matter too much.
m0unt41n 26 Sep 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Thanks everyone.
In the end I put an aerial in the attic.
After checking the existing there are two separate cables from the roof aerial and each going different ways outside the house and then inside to the kitchen and lounge. So I would have to disconnect these, run a cable from the aerial into the attic to a splitter and a power amplifier and then join two of these back to the original and a third down into the bedroom. I would also have to run a power lead from somewhere to get a socket near the amplifier.
I found instead I could take a cable down through the airing cupboard and then under the carpet and between the underlay and grippers so you cant see it.
The aerial was a Screwfix compact. I can get all the channels OK despite the fact that the transmitter is 50km away and the direction meant that the aerial ended up pointing parallel with the roof ridge line and straight at the gable end wall.
Mind I now hate coaxial plugs and fittings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...