UKC

Grivel North Machine vs Quantum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peter_ellwood 24 Sep 2016

Hi,

Looking to get a new set of axes this winter

What is the difference between the grivel quantum tech and north machine?

Is the quantum tech now discontinued and replaced with the north machine? What is the story here, they look very similar.

Is it possible to get either of them in carbon or metal too? Probably don't want it in carbon. I use a lot of ice axe T-slot anchors.

Peter
Post edited at 07:28
 timmeehhhh 24 Sep 2016
In reply to peter_ellwood:
Hi Peter,

I have the Quantum Tech's and really rate them for their light weight and natural swing.

The North Machine is indeed a replacement of the Quantum Tech. Differences seem to me a T-rated shaft, the new Grivel head design and a slightly smaller and more plungable pinky rest (maybe a different pick angle, but I'm not sure of that?). The North Machine looks like a more alpine-ice orientated tool, wereas the Quantum Tech seems slightly less specialized.

The aluminium version of the Quantum Tech is the Matrix Tech, which is also a really nice tool. Also discontinued, so keep an eye out for second hand pairs if you are interested. The picks on these axes are really beefy and replacements are still widely available.
Post edited at 09:42
 ColdWill 01 Oct 2016
In reply to
Was sure there was a non carbon North machine but maybe not as it's not on their website. If you get it make sure you get the ones with the double pins for the head (same goes for the Tech Machine). Shaft is also stiffer than the quantum. Gets a bit heavy with the hammer option though.
Climber Phil 01 Oct 2016
In reply to peter_ellwood:
I have the north machine carbons. I can honestly say that they're the best tool I've used on ice. Super light, slightly head heavy and so nice to grip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...