UKC

Nidderdale OS Map 298 front cover photo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrishedgehog 25 Sep 2016
What climb and crag are detailed on the front cover of the Nidderdale 298 OS map? It looks good but I can't very well go and do it if I can't work out what it is.
Lusk 25 Sep 2016
In reply to chrishedgehog:

http://www.accessexpeditions.com/images/general/products/large/978031923665...

Something that big in Nidderdale, all I can think of is Guisecliff, but it doesn't look right.
 Bulls Crack 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Lusk:
Believe it or not its Kransic Crack (VS 4c)1
Post edited at 13:16
 Michael Hood 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I can see that but excuse me if I'm wrong, isn't Nidderdale in Yorkshire and Kransic in Cumbria.

Bit naughty by the OS
 Bulls Crack 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

Seems bizzare. You'd think they could find a suitable photo rather than a poor climbing pic of somewhere else!
 mrphilipoldham 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

You'd think so, but when they're unwilling to pay a decent rate for imagery then they'll just have to make do with whatever comes their way as good as free.
 BelleVedere 25 Sep 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

surely they've heard of http://www.geograph.org.uk
 mrphilipoldham 25 Sep 2016
In reply to BelleVedere:

You'd think, wouldn't you?

Whilst it's an interesting project, it's not known for it's professional quality!
Lusk 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Believe it or not its Kransic Crack (VS 4c)1

Nailed it!
Nidderdale must be one of the most photogenic places in Britain, someone's ballsed up there.
A completely uninspiring picture of a cart track on the latest map.
 John Gresty 26 Sep 2016

Anybody remember the front cover of a Peak District map that featured the top of Malham Cove. Complaints were made to the OS about this. On some maps, inside the front cover, buried in the blurb, is a note that the cover picture is note actually of the area involved, but just represents the type of activity that can be found in that area.

John
 rj_townsend 26 Sep 2016
In reply to John Gresty:

> Anybody remember the front cover of a Peak District map that featured the top of Malham Cove. Complaints were made to the OS about this. On some maps, inside the front cover, buried in the blurb, is a note that the cover picture is note actually of the area involved, but just represents the type of activity that can be found in that area.

> John

I remember becoming incredibly enraged when I first read that disclaimer on the OS maps!
 Bulls Crack 26 Sep 2016
In reply to rj_townsend:

There was Metro rail poster promoting regional travel some years ago that had photo of a limestone landscape that I don't think was even in this country!
 Fat Bumbly2 26 Sep 2016
In reply to BelleVedere:

Yes, some smudge taken through a car or train window at speed will really wow them.
Actually The OS used to sponsor Geograph and quite a few contributors have got their photos on to map covers.
OP chrishedgehog 27 Sep 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I believe you're right! That has puzzled me for years. I knew someone would know. That is completely insane. Oh well, nice to have an answer. Cheers B C!
 RobertHepburn 27 Sep 2016

I have always thought the photographs on the OS maps were a bit poor, and I am not even that good a photographer. Just bizarre that they might not even be of somewhere on the map!
OP chrishedgehog 27 Sep 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Oh, and thanks Lusk for having the wits to actually post a link to the image! which I did not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...