UKC

Anyone Used Tarmac Paint(on a driveway)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 03 Oct 2016
Got a rather unsightly oil stain on the drive. I've tried all the suggested remedies - detergent, pressure washer etc - but it shows no sign of shifting.

Considering that, whatever method I use, there will always be a blemish there I'm now seriously considering painting the whole driveway(it's about 30 square metres) with some of that tarmac(or is it bitumen) paint.

Has anyone else used it? Just wondering how easy it is to use.
Lusk 03 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Just park your car over the top of it and you won't see it, and when you're out, you won't see it.
Sounds like a waste of money to me, you'll end up continually repainting it as it wears away.
 daWalt 03 Oct 2016

it's a driveway man - not the living room carpet..............
OP FesteringSore 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Lusk & daWalt:
Some people are a bit more particular about the appearance of their property. Do you both live on sink estates? Did you vote for Jeremy Corbyn?
Post edited at 13:44
 jonfun21 03 Oct 2016

Builders used it on our drive after they had built our extension and made a lot of mess (mortar splashes etc.)

Has worked well and looks smart.
Lusk 03 Oct 2016

> Do you both live on sink estates?

Not me, but I was serious with the second part, plus, it'll probably fade away to insignificance in a few months due to sunlight.
In reply to Lusk:

Well some neighbours have used it and, after a few years, looks fine to me.
 wintertree 03 Oct 2016

What's the current surface?

Have you tried some military grade detergents? Something like a concentrated laundry degergent.

No advice on the paint other than an instinctive "yuk" at the idea of applying it, horrible job...
In reply to wintertree:

> What's the current surface?

Currently tarmac.
 wintertree 03 Oct 2016

> Currently tarmac.

My main concern with the paint is that it'll look crap if it starts to peel. If the paint basically looks like the Tarmac it's not such a problem.

If you have a coarse and not smooth finish you'll probably need to use 2x-3x the recommended amount of paint due to the much higher surface area or the coarse finish.
Post edited at 14:03
 rogersavery 03 Oct 2016

Cover the rest of the drive with a matching oil stain
 Mike00010 03 Oct 2016

Have you tried a blowtorch? Worked on an oil stain on our driveway.
 Timmd 03 Oct 2016
> Some people are a bit more particular about the appearance of their property. Do you both live on sink estates? Did you vote for Jeremy Corbyn?

If you're not being tongue in cheek, that potentially comes across as being a little bit snobbish and crass.

Neither of those applies to me, and I'd be tempted to wait for a bit and see if it fades over time. It might take a year 2. Being a house in a 'leafy niceness' part of the city, the drive of my childhood home was a mishmash of different materials for a long time since my parents spent the money on the insides of the home and on holidays.

Drives are quite low down on some people's lists...
Post edited at 16:21
In reply to Timmd:

I was treating the two puerile responses with the contempt they deserved.
 markAut 03 Oct 2016

Have you used proprietary oil stain removing potions? I looked into them for work years ago and they were remarkably good. Some have bacteria or enzymes which actually eat the oil. Though I've not used the stuff in anger, I'd probably give it a go before resorting to paint.
 marsbar 03 Oct 2016

Have you tried cat litter?
 JLS 03 Oct 2016

I had the very same problem when the cheap Lexus I bought the wife for her birthday sprung a leak. My solution, was to have the offending stain dug up and the resulting hole infilled with the family armorial shield, cast in ductile iron. There are still some small foundries about, that will knock up a bespoke item like this, at a very reasonable price. The bitmuninous paint sounds very tacky.
 Wainers44 04 Oct 2016

I've got a mate with a drive in Paignton. I can see if he will flog it to you, but he probably wants shot of the house too?
 Toerag 04 Oct 2016
In reply to JLS:
> The bitmuninous paint sounds very tacky.
That's what makes it stick so well

to the OP - don't use rubberised bituminous paint (Synthapruf) because it never really solidifies.
Post edited at 10:26
 fred99 04 Oct 2016

You could try motorcycle chain degreaser.
The motorcycle shop round the corner from me used this after my enfield leaked on their posh frontage made of concrete - should have parked round the back !!
Obviously try out a small bit to check first.

Note - haven't tried it myself yet - too busy making more oil patches in my shed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...