UKC

New Underwater White Elephants on order from BAE...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 04 Oct 2016
> The government's £1.3bn investment in BAE Systems shareholders' pockets ... will include the start of construction of the first so-called Successor class boat, as well as the purchase of ship's machinery that takes a long time to make – long lead items, in the lingo.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/04/uk_nuclear_deterrent_submarines_sta...

What did George Orwell say about the purpose of continual war, again?

Can we stop talking about BREXIT (nothing we can do about that, now) and start talking about how this sort of folly, while simultaneously enforcing austerity measures, spending cuts and refusing to pay doctors more money for more work, is really a kick-in-the-groin?

Agh... meh. I can't be bothered to get het up about this - I used up all my energy during the Two-Minute-Hate, earlier this afternoon.
In reply to Xharlie:

I think white would be a design error. Black is the normal colour for submarines.
KevinD 04 Oct 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I think white would be a design error. Black is the normal colour for submarines.

You havent seen how much extra BAe will charge for black paint.
 balmybaldwin 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Hang on the sea is blue-green we should get turquoise paint - as an extra bonus it's gone a bit out of fashion since the 80s so we can pick up some cheap
In reply to KevinD:

It's not paint; it's stealth rubber. The price of clmbing shoes will go through the roof...
 Ridge 04 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> You havent seen how much extra BAe will charge for black paint.

I'm astounded they're actually providing a fully specced white elephant. Are we sure it's not actually a white hippo fitted for, (but not with), big ears and a trunk?
 nniff 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Ridge:

Bound to need a change order for the armaments - teeth to tusks, which will then require a redesign of the legs to make them longer. At which point someone will then notice that when its standing on the bottom, its back will be out of the water, and so they'll change their minds back again until someone notices that it now keeps standing on its new ears and they'll cancel the whole programme.
Removed User 05 Oct 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Aye, the stealth rubber really helped when HMS Astute became grounded on a sand bank off Skye.
KevinD 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Aye, the stealth rubber really helped when HMS Astute became grounded on a sand bank off Skye.

Have you tried sneaking up on a sand bank without using stealth rubber? They are wary things and hard to catch out.
Removed User 05 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:

The word periscope comes to mind.
 Ridge 05 Oct 2016
In reply to nniff:

> Bound to need a change order for the armaments - teeth to tusks, which will then require a redesign of the legs to make them longer. At which point someone will then notice that when its standing on the bottom, its back will be out of the water, and so they'll change their minds back again until someone notices that it now keeps standing on its new ears and they'll cancel the whole programme.

Do you work in MoD Procurement?
Clauso 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

All this talk of paint is really childish. I'll respond to you seriously...

I don't mind white. In fact, I'm quite happy to pay more taxes, if the government only promise to fit them with a massive tusk like a f*cking, great narwhal....

Narwhals! Yeah! Got a horn, like a goddam unicorn, except it's a whale!... Narwhals! F*ck yeah!?!... Ain't no hooves on that bitch!
KevinD 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> Do you work in MoD Procurement?

nah they missed "and the bloke in charge will retire and just happen to get a consulting role on how to weaponise rabbits and disguise them as hippos."
 graeme jackson 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Narwhals! Yeah! Got a horn, like a goddam unicorn, except it's a whale!... Narwhals! F*ck yeah!?!... Ain't no hooves on that bitch!

It's not a horn, it's a tusk.
 Toerag 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

On the whole colour thing I believe subs in the med had issues with being black in WW2 - the water was so clear and blue they were being spotted by planes and sunk.
 nniff 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> Do you work in MoD Procurement?

After 30 years associated with the defence industry, I can now observe from the sidelines as an interested bystander. I was present when an eminent marine architect had an epic rant when he was told that the design for the new aircraft carrier was going to have to be changed to do catapult launching. The rant started along the lines of, "Oh well that's just ******* great. Where the **** is the ******* steam going to come from and what the **** are the ******* catapults going to be fixed to and how the **** is the steam going to get from whatever ******* makes it to the ******* catapults and where are we going to put everything ******* else that's in the ******** way?"

He wasn't happy. They changed their minds back again later, of course.
In reply to Toerag:
I think they tend to run a bit deeper than the Med...

But it does raise the suggestion of a chameleon or (perhaps more appropriately) cuttlefish coating...

Post edited at 13:12
 JJL 06 Oct 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

> It's not a horn, it's a tusk.

It gives me the horn
 wintertree 06 Oct 2016
In reply to nniff:

I liked your post. I vehemently dislike the entirely avoidable, very wasteful and ultimately - in terms of outcome - insane business with out "aircraft" "carriers".
 drunken monkey 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

or sonar even. or maybe even just a basic chart
Clauso 06 Oct 2016
In reply to JJL:

> It gives me the horn

Me too!... I used to feel slightly guilty about that, but now I positively celebrate it.

... If only it were easier to find single narwhals on Tinder in the Manchester area.
KevinD 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> ... If only it were easier to find single narwhals on Tinder in the Manchester area.

If you stopped asking to rub their magic horn with an owl they wouldnt all block you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...