UKC

Michelle Obama

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Oct 2016
46th US President, 2024.

Or maybe 45th (with a bit of luck. Which the World could do with.)
 Yanis Nayu 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Why?
KevinD 13 Oct 2016

I would hope not. No judgement on her but just on the seeming tendency to try and turn the president job into a jobshare amongst a few families.
 FactorXXX 13 Oct 2016

Have you got a crush on her?
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Reasonable question. The answer is because she is extraordinarily bright, committed, knowledgeable and experienced. And charismatic. But she doesn't need it.

Her husband may well go down in history as one of the greatest US presidents, ever. Seems not unreasonable that his partner has some qualities of her own.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Yep!
 Roadrunner5 13 Oct 2016

They say no.. I think its possible.

She's great but it'll go republican I think after Hilary, 4 years of Hilary and the country will want change, it normally does even after two terms.

Agreed. Seems entirely realistic and reasonable.
 wbo 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5: depends on the state of the GOP by then doesn't it, and demographics don't favourite them.

To th op - yes' why not?

The New NickB 13 Oct 2016

I suspect she has absolutely no interest in the job.
 Bootrock 13 Oct 2016

> Reasonable question. The answer is because she is extraordinarily bright, committed, knowledgeable and experienced. And charismatic. But she doesn't need it.

And she's not been under investigation by the FBI....etc etc.

> Her husband may well go down in history as one of the greatest US presidents, ever. Seems not unreasonable that his partner has some qualities of her own.

Depends who you ask...

Now Trump V Michelle Obama, that would be a landslide victory. Can they not ask to swap Clinton for her?

winhill 13 Oct 2016

> Her husband may well go down in history as one of the greatest US presidents, ever.

There's a fair amount of competition and Obama hasn't had the chance to do much.

Obamacare stands out but Bill Clinton called bits of it crazy and in November there are expected to be requests for huge increases from insurers.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/10/13/Minnesota-Could-Be-First-O...

That's balanced against the drone policy, popular because it avoids putting American lives at risk but despite promises of clarity Obama's refused to say what the policy is and the signature strikes seem to based on someone looking a bit dodgy and living in a country unfriendly to the US. Even Bernie said he'd continue it.
 Roadrunner5 13 Oct 2016
In reply to wbo:
I think the GOP will go moderate, they had an inquest after 2012 and that was their aim.. Then Trump happened. If they don't they are finished as the US is getting increasingly hispanic. They need to broaden their base

Paul Ryan or Rubio id say..
Post edited at 00:09
 birdie num num 14 Oct 2016

Melania Trump will be 46th
abseil 14 Oct 2016

> ....Seems not unreasonable that his partner has some qualities of her own.

But then I keep thinking about Prince Philip, Dennis Thatcher...... Et al.
 Big Ger 14 Oct 2016

The way politics in the US us going look out for President K West to be on the agenda.
 Lemony 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I agree that that's the plan, I'm not 100% clear how it will happen though. Trump may be unpopular amongst the electorate but amongst the republican grass roots he's obviously incredibly popular. Those voices are surely still going to predominate within the party in 4 years time? How much the anti-minority, anti-women rhetoric will do long term damage will be interesting - it's hard to imagine the hispanic vote flooding back in such a short space of time.
 wbo 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Lemony:
I agree - the GOP leadership may well want to go moderate, but their support base has been pushed to an even more extreme position by Trump. I'm guessing you're hearing the really crazy stuff he's coming out with now, about this being the last chance and so on. ISIS will take over america? How do you reconcile those people with PAul Ryan, whos now not supporting their man?

The aftermath will be something to watch I think.

Little Mario Rubio? Don't think so

Is Michelle Obama a politician at all? Not saying she isn't, just hadn't noticed it.

jcm
abseil 14 Oct 2016

> 46th US President, 2024... Or maybe 45th...

Hi Rob and absolutely no offence but while I wish Michelle Obama all the very best in the world, and think she's a wonderful woman and the best thing since unsliced bread and should definitely be US President......
.........I am absolutely and completely utterly and finally bored and tired to death of her. And of her whole ilk i.e. politicians. Thank you and good night.

[No offence, Rob]
 galpinos 14 Oct 2016
In reply to abseil:

I'm not exactly a Thatcher fan but Dennis seemed to do alright for himself, he was a millionaire before meeting his delightful second wife thought I've no idea if it was inherited.

Prince Phillip is........ well, he's Prince Phillip!
 galpinos 14 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> I would hope not. No judgement on her but just on the seeming tendency to try and turn the president job into a jobshare amongst a few families.

Totally agree with this and surely this contributes to the protest vote/Trump supporting/alienation of the electorate from the ruling class/metropolitan elite rhetoric that seems to pervade any election/referendum at the moment. Obama seemed such a breath of fresh air and this election just seems such a retrograde step.
 Edradour 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Paul Ryan or Rubio id say..

When Romney selected Ryan as his VP candidate it was largely seen as an attempt to reach out to the tea party faction of the GOP as well as the traditional base. i.e Romney was the moderate part of the ticket. I'm not sure anything has changed.

They need someone who has not yet revealed themselves to the wider American people if they are to heal the rifts caused by the Trump candidacy and appeal to any demographic beyond their traditional supporters (which they need to do to win a general election).

My tips would be Gary Herbert (Governor of Utah) or Brian Sandoval from Nevada.

From those Republicans who already have national status, I think they could do worse than John Kaisch, but he's run for the nomination twice and not got it so there might be limited appetite from him, the party or public for another go.

As an aside I genuinely think either McCain or Romney would beat Hillary, but don't know if they would have beaten Trump to the nomination had they gone for it. McCain is too old.
abseil 14 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> I'm not exactly a Thatcher fan but Dennis seemed to do alright for himself, he was a millionaire before meeting his delightful second wife thought I've no idea if it was inherited...

Me too, I'm the opposite of a Thatcher fan. But I agree about Dennis, and I did have a soft spot for him. I just don't think he could have ever qualified as PM!
 galpinos 14 Oct 2016
In reply to abseil:

> Me too, I'm the opposite of a Thatcher fan. But I agree about Dennis, and I did have a soft spot for him. I just don't think he could have ever qualified as PM!

I'm not sure his wife should have either but.......

What he did do, which seems to be a role that has disappeared, maybe due to media intrusion, was support her and stay out of the limelight.
 mudmonkey 14 Oct 2016

I dunno - my Mum thinks she is a tranny, apparently there was an article and some pictures in the Daily Mail online

Sigh.........
In reply to The New NickB:

You may be correct. Sort of inverse of the adage that wanting the job should preclude anyone from being offered it.
 Urban5teve 14 Oct 2016

> Her husband may well go down in history as one of the greatest US presidents, ever.

Yeah but, what's he done on Grit?
 deepsoup 14 Oct 2016
In reply to abseil:
> But I agree about Dennis, and I did have a soft spot for him.

Me too, but that's nothing to do with the real Dennis. The Dennis I liked was the fictional one (actually a couple of different fictional ones) on Spitting Image and in Private Eye.

Much the same way I can't think of the Queen Mother without hearing "I need a bit more fruit on me 'at!" in a brummie accent.
 aln 14 Oct 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Is Michelle Obama a politician at all? jcm

Hasn't stopped Trump having a go?

Roadrunner5 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Edradour:

Check kasichs views, far from moderate.. 1st amendment supporter and inserted a gag clause to prevent rape counsellors mentioning abortions. The clause was put In on a random finance bill..

He has become more moderate. Ryan's young.

They've got to distance themselves from the alt right somewhat to win. Assuming Clinton wins, starting to look likely, after 12 years of the dems it will likely swing back with a more moderate rep. I think that was why trump ran this year, 8 years of dems and fighting sanders or Clinton, he'd not get an easier chance. Sanders would have struggled with the electoral map IMO. I just couldn't see him winning the southern swing states which they need.
 wbo 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Edradour:
Remember that Romney at least explored running this year but polled so, so badly that he dismissed the idea very quickly. McCain would never get the nomination again and made a real arse of running last night.

Lots of people can be speculated as to whether they'd beat Clinton but they didn't get nominated - that is the rub. WHeres the guy with policies to get through the primaries, but have the policies to attract , or at least not repel, the undecided/middle?
 Pete Pozman 15 Oct 2016
In reply to UrbanSteve:

> Yeah but, what's he done on Grit?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=we...
Didn't have time to watch it, but if Bear's doing the cooking Obama will be eating some grit at least.
cb294 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Ryan possibly, but Rubio moderate??? Maybe according to the twisted standards of the US.

CB
 Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Ryan possibly, but Rubio moderate??? Maybe according to the twisted standards of the US.

> CB

Here they consider the democrats as communists.. We'd call them the Tories.

He at least has more moderate immigration plans.
cb294 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Moderate WRT immigration, yes. Otherwise a hardcore evangelical nutter....

CB

> Her husband may well go down in history as one of the greatest US presidents, ever. Seems not unreasonable that his partner has some qualities of her own.

If he'd have nailed the gun issue he would have been number 1 by a mile. If trump gets in there will be a change in law to grant a free Uzi to each newborn.

To the OP. She's great but probably too sensible to get involved.

Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
The gun issue won't get nailed by anyone.

Small scale gains over a long time are the best we can hope for. We've had every kind of shooting possible so there will be no dunblane incident big enough for them to reevaluate.

If the dems do get the house, the court and HRC there is a good chance reforms could happen but I think the house will stay republican.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...