UKC

Wot, No Bake Off Thread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Clauso 26 Oct 2016
Really!?!... What the hell's wrong with you Philistines?

It was awesome. I'm going to watch the repeat:

Great British Bake Off winner revealed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37752481
 DerwentDiluted 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

No, it's moved to UK Bouldering.
 Dell 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

It's just a cake making competition. Get a life!
Clauso 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Dell:

> It's just a cake making competition. Get a life!

It certainly is NOT 'just' a cake baking competition! It's a metaphor for human struggle...

The inate state that is intimately bound to the human condition? The will to push ever onwards against the odds. It's the type of endeavour that saw us to the moon... I suppose that you think that Wordsworth 'just wrote rhymes, and shit' too!

If anybody ought to 'get a life', then it's indisputably YOU sunshine!
Post edited at 23:40
 veteye 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

At that rate, there should be lots of threads on this forum based on effete TV programmes, and that is not likely to happen, as many of us are more interested on living our own lives and not watching much TV, rather than living life passively in the hands of those on reality and similar programmes.

Besides which looking at cake on TV would just be a goad as I should not eat sugary food..
Clauso 27 Oct 2016
In reply to veteye:

We'll just have to agree to differ, I guess? Some of us attempt to see the positives in a situation, rather than sneer and heap derision on others.

Are you really a vet, as your username suggests?... Being positive, I could congratulate you on tending to the welfare of sick animals. Taking you point of view, I'd probably just label you a pet-slaying psychopath instead.

Physician, euthanise thyself.
Post edited at 00:16
 d_b 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

A vet isn't licensed to euthanise him or herself. In any case they are far more likely to be taken out by a vengeful cat.
 winhill 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Really!?!... What the hell's wrong with you Philistines?

Reclaim Gaza!
 Dr.S at work 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Lots of Vets are a bit cautious of cake after it became the medium by which they were marked at vet school.

Yanis Nayu 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Worthy winner; skilled and artistic baker and an adept deployer of the double entendre. What more could you ask for?
 Andy Hardy 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> . What more could you ask for?

A touch more sticky drizzle on her buns?
 ben b 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> Worthy winner; skilled and artistic baker and an adept deployer of the double entendre. What more could you ask for?

Aye.
Much less tense this year for us (without a friend in the final!), but still good TV. Clearly nothing to choose between them at the end of day 1 and a pretty impressive turnout for day 2 (49 bakes each FFS!). Always interesting to see how the contestants develop over the series and who makes it through.

Those who reckon it's just cakes and easy clearly have a fantastic degree of skill and should enter next series or 2018, whichever comes first (while still working full time like Andrew or Tamal, for instance).

Lots of griping about quality. I think this year Candace's bakes probably tasted better than Nadiya's showstopper last year - but visually the sarong won hand down. The quality has improved steadily to last year, and personally I think dropped away a tickle - a few percent - this year but no more.

Mel and Sue had a blinder today - gracious and fun. Even the Male Judge wasn't being a twit. And Mary is just a legend. I suspect C4 will try hard but not reach the same heights.

cheers

b

Clauso 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ben b:

Wise words, well spoken there. Proof, if proof were needed, that climbing and baking can coexist perfectly well together given the chance... Indeed, wasn't there once a time when climbers cafes were rightly celebrated regarding the quality of their cakes? A tradition that the Chew Valley climbers, in particular, kept alive by almost single-handedly keeping the Greenfield Bakery in business for so many years.

... I was choking back the tears, during last nights episode. The poignancy of it being scheduled on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the death of Mr Kipling certainly wasn't lost on me. I raised an almond slice in his honour and played the Last Post on my cream horn.
Post edited at 10:48
In reply to Clauso:

Im not usually a fan of these shows but BBO is my guilty pleasure.

I think the main thing about the show that sets it apart from its reality competition competitors is the fact that the contestants always seem really nice, normal, ordinary people. It doesnt seem to attract the complete tw*ts like the apprentice or the fame thirsty vacuous folks on the X-factor etc. Its just a nice show.

Me and my 7 year old daughter were gripped last night; its a big loss to the BBC.
 dek 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Really!?!... What the hell's wrong with you Philistines?

> It was awesome. I'm going to watch the repeat:

> Great British Bake Off winner revealed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37752481

'Philistines' my arse! ....... I visited their website, and am still waiting for the 'Cookies' they asked me to accept?!...
Clauso 27 Oct 2016
In reply to dek:

> 'Philistines' my arse! .......

I initially misread that as "Phil, he tines my arse! ......" and assumed that you and your 'friend' had perhaps suffered an 'accident' involving a fork?
 Lemony 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

It's my guilty pleasure too. Except for bread week when I spend my time being wound up by all the nonsense Paul Hollywood talks.
 LastBoyScout 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Top notch posting - I salute you.

I watched Bake Off - my wife works for a bakery company, so she's very interested in it.

Definitely one of the more entertaining series - I can see Candice and Jane having a program of their own, like a shaved version of the Hairy Bikers.
 Bobling 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

The poignancy from last night was that it was Mel and Sue's last Bake Off, they just didn't know it : (

Dell 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Clauso:

At the end of the day, all those lovely cakes these people are making, just end up getting flushed away as human shit.

Waitrose do some nice cakes, actually so do Tesco's. Saves all the fannying about and fake drama.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...