UKC

Accommodation in Hathersage/Sheffield help and recomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ModerateMatt 04 Nov 2016

Hey Folks

I'm planning on coming to climb in the Peak from the beginning of next week for a couple weeks, but as yet haven't found anywhere to stay. It appears neither the campsite or youth hostel in Hathersage are available over that period. Ideally I'd like to base myself in Hathersage as I don't have a car and want to make it as easy as possible to climb however if I can't stay close to the climbing I'd be happy to stay somewhere like Sheffield that has good transport links.

Can anyone recommend a budget friendly place to stay or even better would be someone willing to rent out a spare room to me? I'm friendly, enjoy meeting new people, eating and drinking and happy to do my fair share to help where ever I stay.

I know it's pretty last minute, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Post edited at 12:46
 Luke90 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ModerateMatt:

Have you tried a service like airbnb? Not sure how likely you are to find something in Hathersage but it could be exactly what you're looking for.
OP ModerateMatt 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Luke90:

Good idea, thanks. I'll have a look.
 tehmarks 04 Nov 2016

North Lees campsite should be open, and is walkable to both Hathersage and to Stanage. I must admit I'v never walked from the campsite to Stanage, but it's situated directly below somewhere between Popular and Plantation, so a brisk walk up the hill should see you at the crag in twenty or so minutes.
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks, that was one of my first ideas but on their website it says they are only open on weekends over winter unfortunately.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/getactive/camping/camping-northlees
 deacondeacon 04 Nov 2016

Eric Byne campsite will defo let you in (although it's a 20 minute walk from the carpark). Very handy for Gardoms and Birchen. Hardhurst Farm which is close to aHathersage (and even closer to Bamford) is also another campsite that always has spaces.
In reply to Fredt:

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll have a look and see if they work out.

If anyone else has any other recommendations give me a shout.
 marsbar 04 Nov 2016
Have you tried the yha at Edale or Castleton?
There is a train from Edale to Hathersage. Not sure about Castleton, but I think it's near Hope which is also on the train line.
Post edited at 18:54
 alasdair19 06 Nov 2016

camp somewhere near a pub camping in the dark is shit. best of luck it's suddenly gone really cold. ..
 The Ivanator 06 Nov 2016
In reply to alasdair19:

best of luck it's suddenly gone really cold. ..

Well on the upside that will have finished off the midges!
 antcarney 06 Nov 2016
I have stayed at an air b&q in hathersage which was really good, it's run by a climber called paul.
He was also very knowledgeable on the local crags, had loads of guidebooks and a log burner😄
I think he charged around £30 (he is on the air b&q site)
Hope it helps
 The Ivanator 06 Nov 2016
In reply to antcarney:

> I have stayed at an air b&q in hathersage

Is that the one where you build your own bedroom?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...