UKC

I gave my heart to a dog to tear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 09 Nov 2016
http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_dog.htm

He has a few weeks left according to the vet - old age has caught up with his kidneys.

Bootrock 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry mate. It's always shit when stuff like this happens.

jkarran 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry. Make them a great few weeks.
jk
 joan cooper 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Give him extra cuddles and be with him to say goodbye. He will feel better then comfort and love. He will leave a hole in your heart he will hope you can fill with another needy dogs love.....in time.
 Tall Clare 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry to hear this, and I echo what those above have said - lots of cuddles and being there.
 Timmd 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:
I like that poem - condolences. I'm sure you've always given him a happy life. Give him extra hugs so you can know he felt loved towards the end.
Post edited at 11:33
In reply to marsbar: This is the tragedy of being a dog owner...and I'm dreading the day.

Pete Pozman 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

In the same boat ourselves... it seems. Very moving and surprisingly profound verse.
 Baron Weasel 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Oh no, it's the day I dread and have dreaded since I got our dog. Hope he is not suffering too much and can enjoy his last days. My sister has a horse on borrowed time ATM and I'm not sure if she is going to cope when he goes.
 Yanis Nayu 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Have a cyber-hug from me.

Enjoy the rest of your time together.
 Ridge 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Really sorry to hear that, give him lots of cuddles, love and attention. Don't really have the words to say anything more useful.
 DaveHK 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

In a similar vein to the poem:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox
 Bobling 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry to hear that Marsbar. He's had a great life though I am sure.
 toad 09 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:
I'm sorry to hear this. Remember dogs live in the now, they don't worry about what's to come or what has been - try to do the same thing for the next few weeks
Post edited at 22:17
OP marsbar 09 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Sorry to hear that.
OP marsbar 09 Nov 2016
In reply to everyone

Thanks for the support, it means a lot and it does help.

We are going to a dog friendly pub tomorrow for a nice little outing and to meet a friends baby so hopefully he will enjoy the fuss and the change of scenery.

Oceanrower 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Enjoy your time together whilst you have it. Carpe Deum.
 George Ormerod 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Really sorry to hear that. That bought a tear to my eye.
OP marsbar 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Well, after a lovely trip to the pub this lunchtime where he was fussed by everyone and seemed to enjoy himself, he deteriorated quite suddenly this evening so I did what I had dreaded. It was peaceful. It was the right thing to do.
 Tall Clare 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

So sorry to hear this. RIP Hobnob.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

You have my sympathy. Take care of yourself and try to enjoy the nice memories of the time you shared together. I'm sure you gave him a wonderful life.
 The Lemming 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry to hear about your loss and I understand the pain that you are going through.

It broke my heart a couple of years ago when Ben died.

Padraig 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Another "sorry to hear".
I've had to do it twice in last year & it's gutting!
 StuLade 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

So sad but like others say, enjoy the time left. I miss having a dog in my life.
 arch 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- cannot be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

RIP old boy.
 Ridge 10 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry to hear that. However his last day was full of fun and love, what better way for a much loved pooch to leave the world?
 Trangia 11 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry to hear of your loss Marsbar
 AP Melbourne 13 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Condolences marsbar but pooch is in a better place now and out of pain. Probably scrapping with my puddy-tat Shadow who died in my arms aged 19+ yrs. They're up there so all good really.
Regs,
AP.
OP marsbar 13 Nov 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Laid him to rest in parents garden yesterday with the other family pets. He's at peace now.
 Chris_Mellor 13 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

A puppy might be a good idea. A bit callous suggesting it out of the blue, but it's a dog, not your sister, brother, mother, or father - which is also a bit callous to point out. But (quietly) move on.
 upordown 13 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to make that decision but, as you say, he's at peace now and won't suffer any pain. I've been there and it feels like you've lost part of yourself. Be kind to yourself and try to remember the happy times and the life that you enjoyed together.
 Timmd 13 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> Laid him to rest in parents garden yesterday with the other family pets. He's at peace now.

'after a lovely trip to the pub this lunchtime where he was fussed by everyone and seemed to enjoy himself'

I think this last day ^ he had would be a dog being in their element. He's gone from having a nice day to being free from any pain or discomfort which may have come from his old age. I think that's what any animal (human or otherwise) would wish for. I hope the feelings heal before too long.
OP marsbar 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Will probably rescue another dog at some point. Probably not a puppy.
Naamah 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:
This I know all too well. Lost my two horses 2 years ago; one in November and the other the following March.

Truly sorry for your impending loss OP; losing any animal hurts as much as any family member.

:'-( condolences
Post edited at 13:02
 Sean Kelly 20 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Lost my Benji about 12 months back and now have just got a new rescue dog (another Springer), 16mts old and crackers. We walk on Dartmoor 3/4 times a week and I'm knackered!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...