UKC

Best Android phone for <£250

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eann 10 Nov 2016
Hi All,

I'm currently using the One Plus 2, but the the battery life is pretty mediocre and the screen is smashed.

As the phone was only £230, I'm reluctant to spend £100 to repair the screen as I would probably look to get a new phone sometime next year anyway.

What's the best value phone for c. £250?

Requirements:
- decent processor / amount of ram
- ideally a fingerprint scanner
- a tough screen!

Thanks in advance.

E
In reply to Eann:

I just got a "refurbished" xperia Z5 compact for £230 from GiffGaff. Their refurnished phones are basically phones that have been returned within the 14 days, then checked over and resold. Really happy with it. Managed a 7 hour hill walk the other day with GPS tracking my route and only used 35% battery. Normally get 2 days between charges.
 JohnO1978 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

Broke the screen on a HTC One M9 recently so I was quoted 90 quid for a new one.

I ended up buying a Wileyfox swift for 85 quid (Reconditioned) off ebay and I am very happy with it.

No fingerprint scanner but its (IMHO) on par with my HTC, in some respects better.

I have heard that the customer support for them isnt great as they are a small British company but at the minute I have no regrets buying mine. Tempered glass screen and case cost me about an extra 10 quid but its pretty solid feeling now.
 Welsh Kate 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

I was going to say the Xperia z5 compact. I've had one for about 5 months and love it, great battery life for a smartphone, fingerprint scanner, and tougher phone with some level of waterproofing. These were features that sold it, along with its reasonably compact size, because I specifically wanted a phone for the outdoors.
 Scarab9 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

> I just got a "refurbished" xperia Z5 compact for £230 from GiffGaff. Their refurnished phones are basically phones that have been returned within the 14 days, then checked over and resold. Really happy with it. Managed a 7 hour hill walk the other day with GPS tracking my route and only used 35% battery. Normally get 2 days between charges.

I'm also an xperia convert (mine might actually be a Z3, can't remember if 3 or 5). Got this one from a mate for £70 second hand when he upgraded. The updated models have a few extra bits, but impressions from this one are that's it's tough, v good battery, and I've had zero problems/crashes/anything with it in several months. Takes a big SD card too.
 Andy Hardy 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

Moto G-3? mine cost £120 from John Lewis - doesn't have fingerprint scanner, but apart from that it's fine.
 BigBrother 10 Nov 2016
In reply to JohnO1978:

Which case did you get for the Swift? I got one about a week ago but haven't got a case for it yet.
 Dave B 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

I have a Z3 compact. One issue to watch out for with Sony is that (certainly on the Z3) the digitiser is affixed to the screen, so the slightest screen crack stops screen interaction fingerpress from being registered properly. Is this true of the Z5? not sure.

Otherwise an excellent phone IMHO.

djb
 neuromancer 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

Chinese android.

AGilmour 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

Another recommendation for Wileyfox Swift. Had one for about 6 months now and very impressed for the £99 I paid on Amazon after my previous phone died.

They've just announced a Swift 2, which has NFC and fingerprint reader which are lacking from the original. According to their website it's £159 so well within your budget.
OP Eann 11 Nov 2016
In reply to AGilmour:

> They've just announced a Swift 2, which has NFC and fingerprint reader which are lacking from the original. According to their website it's £159 so well within your budget.

Interesting! I'll investigate. thanks!
 JohnO1978 15 Nov 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

Just a cheap rubber one from ebay, absolutely fine.
 krikoman 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Eann:

Xiaomi Redmi 2

About £120 battery life about 1 week - if your not playing games all the time..

Great phone, no UK distributor though AFAIK

I've had three for different people all great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...