UKC

So long Marianne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 11 Nov 2016

The greatest singer song writer of our time has passed.........

'tis a very sad day

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/leonard-cohen-dead-at-82-w449792
Post edited at 02:12
 smallclimber 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:
I just saw the news on yahoo as well. I listened to his music all,the time when I was at college back in the eighties. Nothing was like it.

Removed User 11 Nov 2016
In reply to smallclimber:
Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried, in my way, to be free...........

Free at last Leonard, RIP
Post edited at 04:12
 Greenbanks 11 Nov 2016
Such a sad moment. A colossus in the Arts leaves the stage.
 Doug 11 Nov 2016
Was about to start a thread & was dithering between 'so long Marianne' & 'so long Leonard', then I spotted this. Have been listening to his music quite a bit recently after hearing a programme about him on French radio maybe a week ago. 2016 is turning out to be a memorable year, & not for good reasons.

http://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2016/11/11/disparition-du-musici...
 Lemony 11 Nov 2016

An amazing ability to craft human experience into tiny pocket dramas combined with a musical subtlety and deftness of touch that I can't think has ever been bettered.

youtube.com/watch?v=tAmQgI_Mun4&
youtube.com/watch?v=HKEdWBXcgAE&
youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7DOe5EGgM&
Moley 11 Nov 2016

A major loss, he was the soundtrack to many of my generations teenage years, we loved his music and followed him all my life,
. So pleased I got to see him a few years ago.
RIP.
 Rob Naylor 11 Nov 2016

Very sad....if any singer/songwriter deserved the Nobel Prize for Literature, it was LC!
 Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2016

6music has just played Everybody knows - jeez that song is amazing

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leonardcohen/everybodyknows.html
 steveriley 11 Nov 2016

There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
So long and thanks for the music Laughing Len.
 Greenbanks 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Moley:

> . So pleased I got to see him a few years ago <

likewise - and he stripped the years away. Utterly modern in his performance. An abiding memory (O2)
 DerwentDiluted 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> 6music has just played Everybody knows - jeez that song is amazing

And so so spot on, still.
 ripper 11 Nov 2016

He sank beneath our wisdom, like a stone...

These lines have stuck in my mind from his recent output

'Though he know he's really nothing
but the brief elaboration of a tube'

such an eloquent summing up of our ultimate insignificance

very sad day indeed

Andy Clarke 11 Nov 2016

Taking the express elevator straight to the penthouse suite:
youtube.com/watch?v=WirxqAn7Ck8&
Removed User 11 Nov 2016

Hard to describe really. I remember lying on my cousin's floor listening to his music and realising at a young age that this was really poetry. I learnt his songs on the guitar and one, "Last Year's Man" has been a song I would always play every time I picked up a guitar.

I only mastered (if you can call it that) "Famous blue rain coat" last week but it was always a song I loved.....

..."Thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, I thought it was there for good so I never tried"

I saw him about 3 years ago and he was truly wonderful. So glad I gotr the chance.
 Flinticus 22 Nov 2016

> Hard to describe really. I remember lying on my cousin's floor listening to his music and realising at a young age that this was really poetry. I learnt his songs on the guitar and one, "Last Year's Man" has been a song I would always play every time I picked up a guitar.

> I only mastered (if you can call it that) "Famous blue rain coat" last week but it was always a song I loved.....

> ..."Thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, I thought it was there for good so I never tried"

> I saw him about 3 years ago and he was truly wonderful. So glad I gotr the chance.

Ha! I was going to post this line. One of the best, and not just of his work. Just finished listening to it and I find I stil know most of the words.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...